Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Globescout Top Box  (Read 3507 times)

Offline LionBuell

Re:
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2016, 08:02:02 pm »
I would try stainless steel bolts and torque it to the correct nm setting with spring washer and nylon nuts. Stainless has a higher tensile strength.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Offline Copernicus

• Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • Crossroads in the dirt.
Re:
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2016, 10:12:38 pm »
I would try stainless steel bolts and torque it to the correct nm setting with spring washer and nylon nuts. Stainless has a higher tensile strength.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I may be leaving myself open to ridicule here but as far as I know the tensile strenght of stainless steel is inferior to many of the higher quality steel bolts.  I, personally, have been disapointed several times by SS bolts.  They have their place though, if you require something rustproof.  But they are not stronger than high tensile steel bolts.
I started biking as an under achiever and it went downhill from there...

Offline Jaco Naude

Re: Globescout Top Box
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2016, 10:19:53 pm »
You are correct, 304 and 316 ss bolts equals to a high tensile bolt of about 4.6. You do get marine grade bolts, but I am yet to find those (that are graded the same as a 12.9 high tensile bolt) in South Africa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline AntVan

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • I am the Zipslayer! Hear me zzzzzzzzp!
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2017, 12:20:30 pm »
Any updates on the bolts from others?

Update: I live on a smallholding so everyday is gravel day for me. Jippeee! However my Globescout has broken bolts so frequently now, it is getting ridiculous. I am considering removing the OEM plastic floppy luggage rack completely and designing a metal plate that connects directly to the subframe, instead of the OEM plastic floppy rack thing.

(Yes I know soft luggage is king, but when you commute by bike  you sometimes have to stop somewhere and then security is an issue) - hence my love affair with top box.

I don't always drop my bike, but when I do, I prefer to drop her in front of a crowd

Offline Dustbin Dog

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2017, 09:22:45 pm »
Beware, its a vicious circle, you strengthen one part and break another.
Yamaha XT500 / Montesa 250 King Scorpion
Suzuki GSX 1100
Ducati 900 MHR
BMW R100RS
Current BMW R1200GS

Offline Jaco Naude

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2017, 09:27:23 pm »
The only real solution long term, I believe to be a viable option, is to purchase the adventure top box rack, and then the adventure globe-scout adaptor plate.

Alternatively I had success with the normal 12.9 high tensile bolts, which could be the cheaper option short term.

Offline Jaco Naude

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2017, 09:28:25 pm »
But with the adventure, the top box problem I had with the normal lc, is something of the past