Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Show me your Water Carrier  (Read 5974 times)

Offline donovanwho

Re: Show me your Water Carrier
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2015, 09:19:52 pm »

fits ktm/husky EFI model

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline katana

• I may be cheap, but I am not a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Born again 1/7/2020
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2015, 06:31:29 am »
:peepwall:

its 2l water. its attached.

:spitcoffee:  Beautifully simple.
If you want to haul ass, you gotta mix gas.

Offline RedRum

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2015, 03:56:38 pm »
Quote from: bonova
Show me your Water Carrier

so, seeing an no one is posting anything on how to do this in the real world on a budget on a non mainstream bike  (WD style (:PUKE: :makes me sick: :nothing new:): ....a thread with MANY (mot all) 'other than applicable options/solutions/advise' that will NOT help someone who asked for help/options/advise);

if you whan to eat popcorn; go see a movie and post about it on jou ma, if you want to drink coffee... go make some or go drink it at some in a far of place and do an RR about it... (i should probably start a thread about the lack on CONTENT  being generated by members  (post posts I see) . Its a lame ass excuse; for posting an emoticon........ that adds zero value to anything, ever - use the "notify" button if you want updates .ffs)

here you go (remember its show and tell - want to see yours also)

this is what I did to solve this problem relating to Amageza specifically:
990 bash plate chopped shorter and bolted to frame frame with diy brackets. only to hold water bladder. not impact protection per se

fits a 3l bladder filled to 2l easy (which needs a sleeve for abrasion yes  - missing from pictures - warm water is not an issue for me when thirsty)

« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 04:47:56 pm by RedRum »

Offline bonova

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Get busy living or get busy dying
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2015, 05:39:17 pm »
Quote from: bonova
Show me your Water Carrier

so, seeing an no one is posting anything on how to do this in the real world on a budget on a non mainstream bike  (WD style (:PUKE: :makes me sick: :nothing new:): ....a thread with MANY (mot all) 'other than applicable options/solutions/advise' that will NOT help someone who asked for help/options/advise);

if you whan to eat popcorn; go see a movie and post about it on jou ma, if you want to drink coffee... go make some or go drink it at some in a far of place and do an RR about it... (i should probably start a thread about the lack on CONTENT  being generated by members  (post posts I see) . Its a lame ass excuse; for posting an emoticon........ that adds zero value to anything, ever - use the "notify" button if you want updates .ffs)

here you go (remember its show and tell - want to see yours also)

this is what I did to solve this problem relating to Amageza specifically:
990 bash plate chopped shorter and bolted to frame frame with diy brackets. only to hold water bladder. not impact protection per se

fits a 3l bladder filled to 2l easy (which needs a sleeve for abrasion yes  - missing from pictures - warm water is not an issue for me when thirsty)

Nice one! This is the kinda post I was after
Yes I will show you mine when it's done....but its not even started yet haha.
My options are:
Build one into bashplate at the front...... this poses issues as the BMW bashplate bolts in at the front so getting to the bolts will be an issue with something there.
Drop the bashplate to allow a similar thing to yours.... My bashplate actually has quite a big area under there already and so it will not need a big drop at all.
I will start measuring and tinkering and report back when I have any kinda plan
BMW F650 DAKAR ; BMW 650 X-Challenge ; YAMAHA 660 TENERE ; BMW 800 GS KTM 200EXC. Now - KTM 950 Adventure S, KTM 250 XC-W and BMW 450 Rally

if u are interested in something no matter what it is, go at it full speed ahead, luke warm is no good, hot is no good either, white hot and passionate is the only thing to be...

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • As in 'Even more Panda'. Also likes sharks.
    • Team 525
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2015, 07:35:57 pm »
Hi Peter

Can't remember what baseplate you have on your G450x, but if it's aluminium, why not simply modify it? And while I like RedRum's pooratech solution (and his fesity attitude)  ;) I think it's much simpler to do something like this:

If your bolts are on the front, weld on a box to hold a bladder, and have holes you can stick an allen key through to mount it. FFS, you don't even have to have a lid for the box if you have a drain hole at the bottom for water - just have a rubber strap over the top to hold the bladder in. Or use coke bottles:

By the way, these images are from http://www.bashplates.de/index.php and Stefan makes some of the highest quality alu baseplates available, in proper 7020 alloy, the highest strength aluminium you can weld. May still be getting one of his for the KTM for Amageza. I personally prefer the idea of a bladder or container you can take out of the baseplate - less aluminium taste, and much easier to quickly swap the bladder with the empty one in your camelbak, if you run out of water like I did on stage 3 last year.

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2015, 07:46:21 pm »
I welded wings to an old aluminium bashplate I had.  Water one side, spare tube other side.  Its about 75% done.  It will be done by next week Friday.  Standby for manoeuvring.

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • As in 'Even more Panda'. Also likes sharks.
    • Team 525
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2015, 08:04:09 pm »
What happened to your Fibreglass one?

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2015, 09:49:30 pm »
By Springbok there was nothing left of it.  Had my wife bring a metal one from Upington.

Offline Gee S

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2015, 10:39:04 am »
I have not started yet but I am going to build my own bash plate out of 2mm 316 or 304 stainless steel and make a bolt on container to hold a 3 liter bladder. The idea with the bolt on container is to remove the extra bulk in front for more technical or short rides when tools/water is not needed. The plan is to make it in such a way that the oil can be drained without removing the bash plate.

I hope to have it finished in about 4 weeks time.

Anybody here that have plans for a 690 bashplate or that may be willing to measure your alluminium plate for me? It will save me a lot of time.  :thumleft:
All that wander are not lost

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2015, 10:54:42 am »

:thumleft:

Offline B2B

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2015, 09:36:49 pm »
Have any of you guys thought about mounting a spare exhaust tail pipe with a bit of modifications can be used for water and tool compartment i have seen it done before, obviously if you have the after market rear tanks it would be a problem and it looks pretty cool with twin pipes too. :biggrin:

Offline Prop

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2015, 05:33:03 pm »
Not sure how to post pics, but I've attached something.

I attached a 110mm PVC pipe between the Front wheel and Bashplate, with normal Plumbing supplies. This setup "survived" Markdivers roadbook training route. The Tube contained a 2L Ortlieb bladder, tyre levers and Tow rope.

Then on another prototype I used the 160 mm PVC piping. I was going to test on the last GOC, but picked up some unfortunate engine trouble. So I couldn't put this through it's paces. But obviously, a lot more space. I had levers, Tubes, Bladder, Medical kit, tow rope and a lot of other nitty gritties.

KTM 250
CRF450X

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2015, 07:11:12 pm »
I tried that last year before Amageza and took it for a test spin at Maraisburg - lasted about 5km then was fooked

It could work but I wouldn't do it - if I was doing Amageza again - when you hit that rock or tree trunk that you didn't expect, that's when things fall apart.

Just sayin' ..........................

Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline Prop

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2015, 07:13:05 am »
I tried that last year before Amageza and took it for a test spin at Maraisburg - lasted about 5km then was fooked

It could work but I wouldn't do it - if I was doing Amageza again - when you hit that rock or tree trunk that you didn't expect, that's when things fall apart.

Just sayin' ..........................

Would definitely try get it mounted higher. But I like the idea of putting the bladder in a slightly dropped Bashplate.
KTM 250
CRF450X

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2015, 08:46:26 am »
Any higher and the front wheel will hit it - what about 2 seperate tubes, mounted vertically, on either side of the bashplate, mounted high with a space between for the wheel travel, in 75mm PVC?

Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline bonova

• Race Dog
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2015, 04:02:27 pm »
Okay dokay
So after agonizing over this... I was looking through my Touring kit and found my sea to summit water carriers I used up in the DRC.
These are SUPER tough in terms of pressure. This one carries 4 L. So I filled it with exactly 2 L and put it in my bashplate. Its a squeeze but it fits fine and will never fly out (But I will make a plan to secure just in case....)
I ran the bike to hot hot and it didn't melt or anything (yet) so holding thumbs its ok.

I e-mailed Alex yesterday to find out about putting a bladder in a tank bag and his response was that it needs to be enclosed in a hard casing like a tool tube or between the bashplate and engine kinda thing. and the hard casing thing needs to be attached to the bike. So basically it means that you can't just put a bladder in a tank / tail bag.

I was gonna order / get a bashplate re-made to take the water.... but fark it - this will do just fine. I'm just gonna re-inforce the front attachment of the bashplate and use as is  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 04:09:45 pm by bonova »
BMW F650 DAKAR ; BMW 650 X-Challenge ; YAMAHA 660 TENERE ; BMW 800 GS KTM 200EXC. Now - KTM 950 Adventure S, KTM 250 XC-W and BMW 450 Rally

if u are interested in something no matter what it is, go at it full speed ahead, luke warm is no good, hot is no good either, white hot and passionate is the only thing to be...

Offline tehdutchie

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Beta (all models)
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2015, 10:00:43 pm »
Doesn't get boiling hot and blow?

Offline bonova

• Race Dog
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2015, 10:33:44 pm »
Dont think it will. You can just about jump on that thing and its hundreds. Also its only 1/2 full at 2l as it takes 4l. Ill test it more but on initial test it was perfect. :thumleft:

Offline aka.Goliath

« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2015, 11:39:07 pm »
Just a note that I drank from my 'emergency' water everyday last year and eventually ended up taking an extra 1.5l tied to my handle bars after day one. You can't do anything about it being 40°C for the air temp but it could be quite kak if it is at 90°C from the engine and you have to drink it.
BMW 1150 GSA - 2004
KTM 690R - 2014
KTM 300 X-CW - 2012
KTM 530 EXC Rally - 2011 SOLD, KTM 690R - 2009 SOLD, BMW 1200GS 2009 SOLD

Offline bonova

• Race Dog
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2015, 10:15:28 am »
Just a note that I drank from my 'emergency' water everyday last year and eventually ended up taking an extra 1.5l tied to my handle bars after day one. You can't do anything about it being 40°C for the air temp but it could be quite kak if it is at 90°C from the engine and you have to drink it.

Yip. I guess its all about personal use and what happens out there. I carry 3L on my back. I have yet to run out on Amageza. This being said - your use of water increases dramatically if you struggle or get stuck or spend 12 hours out there due to whatever reason. So mine if for if I get lost or break down. I carry water purification tabs too for if there is water available.
As a mate of mine says - extra water and extra fuel weigh NOTHING! ie - you can never have too much  ;)