Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Show me your Water Carrier  (Read 5972 times)

Offline aka.Goliath

Re: Show me your Water Carrier
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2015, 03:40:15 pm »
Just a note that I drank from my 'emergency' water everyday last year and eventually ended up taking an extra 1.5l tied to my handle bars after day one. You can't do anything about it being 40C for the air temp but it could be quite kak if it is at 90C from the engine and you have to drink it.

Yip. I guess its all about personal use and what happens out there. I carry 3L on my back. I have yet to run out on Amageza. This being said - your use of water increases dramatically if you struggle or get stuck or spend 12 hours out there due to whatever reason. So mine if for if I get lost or break down. I carry water purification tabs too for if there is water available.
As a mate of mine says - extra water and extra fuel weigh NOTHING! ie - you can never have too much  ;)

Quite true. I did spend some time out there each day. Just also a note - Be careful what water you drink even with purification tablets. Dessert water is very brackish and even just a small sip can make things a lot worse, trust me.. I now know.
BMW 1150 GSA - 2004
KTM 690R - 2014
KTM 300 X-CW - 2012
KTM 530 EXC Rally - 2011 SOLD, KTM 690R - 2009 SOLD, BMW 1200GS 2009 SOLD

Offline bonova

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Get busy living or get busy dying
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2015, 10:39:16 am »
Just a note that I drank from my 'emergency' water everyday last year and eventually ended up taking an extra 1.5l tied to my handle bars after day one. You can't do anything about it being 40C for the air temp but it could be quite kak if it is at 90C from the engine and you have to drink it.

Yip. I guess its all about personal use and what happens out there. I carry 3L on my back. I have yet to run out on Amageza. This being said - your use of water increases dramatically if you struggle or get stuck or spend 12 hours out there due to whatever reason. So mine if for if I get lost or break down. I carry water purification tabs too for if there is water available.
As a mate of mine says - extra water and extra fuel weigh NOTHING! ie - you can never have too much  ;)

Quite true. I did spend some time out there each day. Just also a note - Be careful what water you drink even with purification tablets. Dessert water is very brackish and even just a small sip can make things a lot worse, trust me.. I now know.

Good advise thanks!
BMW F650 DAKAR ; BMW 650 X-Challenge ; YAMAHA 660 TENERE ; BMW 800 GS KTM 200EXC. Now - KTM 950 Adventure S, KTM 250 XC-W and BMW 450 Rally

if u are interested in something no matter what it is, go at it full speed ahead, luke warm is no good, hot is no good either, white hot and passionate is the only thing to be...

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2015, 11:09:01 am »
I can courier you 2 each a 20l can of water from my borehole for conditioning purposes.  Don't put it in your radiator or kettle.

Offline bonova

• Race Dog
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2015, 11:42:06 am »
I can courier you 2 each a 20l can of water from my borehole for conditioning purposes.  Don't put it in your radiator or kettle.

Bwahahahaa  :imaposer:
BMW F650 DAKAR ; BMW 650 X-Challenge ; YAMAHA 660 TENERE ; BMW 800 GS KTM 200EXC. Now - KTM 950 Adventure S, KTM 250 XC-W and BMW 450 Rally

if u are interested in something no matter what it is, go at it full speed ahead, luke warm is no good, hot is no good either, white hot and passionate is the only thing to be...

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2015, 01:51:17 pm »
A few years ago at the Dakar a water carrier used to be the guy who carried extra water and sometimes fuel on his bike for the lead guys.
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline bonova

• Race Dog
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2015, 10:40:23 am »
Sent my pics to Alex. My water carrier is 100% legal and will pass scrutineering  :biggrin:  :biggrin:

Offline Gee S

« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2015, 09:41:35 am »
My bashplate/water carrier is fianally finished.

It is made of 2mm stainless steel and all the dangerous edges have been folded double and welded on the iside.
The water carrier is held in place by M6 bolts with Nylock nuts and can be removed if not needed. It comfortably holds a 3 liter bladder with 2 liters of water
The lid is held in place by two M8 wingnuts with spring washers to keep them from rattling loose.

All that wander are not lost

Offline bonova

• Race Dog
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2015, 10:41:14 am »
My bashplate/water carrier is fianally finished.

It is made of 2mm stainless steel and all the dangerous edges have been folded double and welded on the iside.
The water carrier is held in place by M6 bolts with Nylock nuts and can be removed if not needed. It comfortably holds a 3 liter bladder with 2 liters of water
The lid is held in place by two M8 wingnuts with spring washers to keep them from rattling loose.

Looks good bud. Can I make a suggestion? You brace it up to the crash bars?
That weight far forward and hanging on one attachment point concerns me. Mate on 690 last year - that broke off at that point and we had to do all kinds of plans that night to fix.
Easy enough with your skills to just make a flat bar brace with a temporary attachment to the crashbars?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 10:42:26 am by bonova »

Offline Gee S

« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2015, 10:59:34 am »
Looks good bud. Can I make a suggestion? You brace it up to the crash bars?
That weight far forward and hanging on one attachment point concerns me. Mate on 690 last year - that broke off at that point and we had to do all kinds of plans that night to fix.
Easy enough with your skills to just make a flat bar brace with a temporary attachment to the crashbars?

Thanks Bonova,

I wish I could claim it as my own work but my SIL actually did the design and 90% of the work. I just told him what I wanted and he put my ideas into reality.

That weight has been worrying me as well. I had a look at another rally bike on Saturday and his bashplate was mounted on the standard points as well as to the crashbars.. I will definately do that as well.

Thanks for the suggestion :thumleft:

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2015, 12:48:56 pm »
Not sure how to post pics, but I've attached something.

I attached a 110mm PVC pipe between the Front wheel and Bashplate, with normal Plumbing supplies. This setup "survived" Markdivers roadbook training route. The Tube contained a 2L Ortlieb bladder, tyre levers and Tow rope.

Then on another prototype I used the 160 mm PVC piping. I was going to test on the last GOC, but picked up some unfortunate engine trouble. So I couldn't put this through it's paces. But obviously, a lot more space. I had levers, Tubes, Bladder, Medical kit, tow rope and a lot of other nitty gritties.

Prop!! Jys my perd in die jaar se resies. Daar was laas jaar net een CRF en ek sou gelove het om self op een te wees. Gooi mielies  :thumleft:
Current: KTM 690R
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline Gee S

« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2015, 10:28:22 am »
As per Bonova's Suggestion I strengthened the bashplate mountings a little. Only need to grind away the two sharp corners and put some rubber edging on both sides of the brackets.

Offline bonova

• Race Dog
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2015, 04:18:41 pm »
As per Bonova's Suggestion I strengthened the bashplate mountings a little. Only need to grind away the two sharp corners and put some rubber edging on both sides of the brackets.

Now THATS a meneer!
Excellent work

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2015, 02:18:30 pm »
You have spare to put some tools on top too; maybe tyre spanners with cable ties...that kind of thing.
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Gee S

« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2015, 11:31:52 pm »
You have spare to put some tools on top too; maybe tyre spanners with cable ties...that kind of thing.
Fortunately I am using mouses and I have a big ugly rack on the bike where I will carry a few tools

Offline White Rhino

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Save the White Rhino
« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2015, 03:19:44 am »

Now THATS a meneer!
Excellent work
+1000
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy
Nothing clears the head like a throttle twisted and the fresh air on the tip of the nose

Beta 300RR, KTM500, KTM990 Adv, HPN635, 1200GS LC

Offline 777

« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2015, 06:43:41 pm »

Now THATS a meneer!
Excellent work
+1000
Have you check that your front wheel does not hit that when doing jumps.I had my tool tube in same place,I found when landing the wheel hit the tube.
TS 50- Gave away
RM 125- Not sure where it is.
IT 200- Sold.
XT 550- Sold.
CR 250-Sold. RMX 250-Sold WR 250-Sold. CFR 450x-Sold. CRF 250x-Sold. XT 660R- Sold KTM 690 Enduro- Alfie Cox Special Edition .Honda XR 650L., WR450, Current bikes, KTM 500 Six Days and BMW 800GS