Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Pretoria to Coffee Bay - Biking and Backpacking  (Read 8463 times)

Offline Zaber

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
Re: Pretoria to Coffee Bay - Biking and Backpacking
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2015, 09:25:00 am »
Zaber, good one, i like your style of writing.
also travelling alone has the trmendous benefit of opening you to the people around you. this is clear from your ride report.

i smile when i read your experiences, wilddogs are a adventurous bunch!

talking about coffee bay, i am in two minds about it. the first time i went (by bike) i absolutely loved it. second time with car and family..hmmmm i felt uneasy about the place.

thank you for sharing and putting in the effort :thumleft:

Seems like I'm getting lots of compliments on my writing style, much appreciated. Maybe I should write a novel, or a book on traveling.

I agree, I recon CB is more of a travellers den, than a family zone. I think, for some reason, if you take your family with, rather go to a more popular tourist spot.

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2015, 11:48:04 am »
Great RR - Thank You!!

I spent 2 weeks at White Cliff - next bay south from CB - brilliant time was had - camped, fished, swam, braaied, same again he next day! Time to go back I think!!

:thumleft:
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x  - 2001 F650GS Dak SOLD - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Karel Kat

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • 'Burn Babilaan an de wicked'
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2015, 12:08:49 pm »
Lekker. Love the Transkei.
Proudly colonialist dog walker and brannewyn libtard

Offline Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
    • CFO Consult SA
Re: Pretoria to Transkei
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2015, 12:42:22 pm »

I remember the first night, still feeling awkward, telling the barman, who is a real surfer dude, "I think I dont fit in here", he looked at me and said, "no one does, yet we all do".

Fuck, that is a brilliant line. Applicable to so many places and so many situations.
And yet so own to Coffee Bay.
Going to frame it and put it on my wall.

Awesome report, Thanks for posting.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 12:44:45 pm by Kaboef »
And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

www.cfoconsult.co.za

Offline husky

• Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2015, 01:06:36 pm »
Excellent report and nicely done.  Very tempting when you are there to just stay. I guess a few people do.

Those roadworks outside Umtata are the pits. Went to Swell Eco Lodge last year and even guys who had been there before got a little lost. Nice spot though.

Offline Clockwork Orange

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2015, 02:48:46 pm »
Nice RR. I would encourage anyone to try the Wild Coast Eco Trail. Choose the time carefully as extremely tricky if it rains. Would also not attempt unless in a small group. Best trip I have ever done.
When in doubt...grab throttle!!!

Offline NewRider

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2015, 04:25:36 pm »
just a pity to get to CB and the other nice places, you have run through those $hit holes of towns and poor roads,taxis people thinking they cars, animals thinking they people,people thinking they animals, etc

Offline Zaber

« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2015, 07:20:52 pm »

I remember the first night, still feeling awkward, telling the barman, who is a real surfer dude, "I think I dont fit in here", he looked at me and said, "no one does, yet we all do".

Fuck, that is a brilliant line. Applicable to so many places and so many situations.
And yet so own to Coffee Bay.
Going to frame it and put it on my wall.

Awesome report, Thanks for posting.

Plesier man, sal maar weer iets tik as ek sulke goeie responces kry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DeepBass9

• 2010 DL1000-'91 DR650 DAKAR
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 1000 V-Strom
    • www.dreamlodge.co.za
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2015, 07:53:33 pm »
. Really did not do much planning. The best trips or holidays are the once where you stop when your tired, eat when and where I get hungry and do what ever the locals reccommend, in stead of hours of planning.

With that premise, an adventure is guaranteed!.

Offline Zaber

« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2015, 08:06:58 pm »
Lekker RR broer.enjoy die bike

Broer ek gaan daai bike plekke wys wat n GS veronderstel is om te sien.

Offline Zaber

« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2015, 08:19:59 pm »
Excellent report and nicely done.  Very tempting when you are there to just stay. I guess a few people do.

Those roadworks outside Umtata are the pits. Went to Swell Eco Lodge last year and even guys who had been there before got a little lost. Nice spot though.

Interesting you should say that, most of the people I met that call themselves local went there for a holiday, and decided they are staying. Even the german guy working there, he traveled the world, came to CB and said "Im staying here". Still remember him saying "Germany is shit. Berlin is cool, but overall Germany is shit. To many rules, Germany makes you narrowminded, forces you to walk a certain path."

Another example is at breakfast with the two girls from Switzerland, talking about the differences between SA and Switzerland, their weather is bad, its cold, no beaches.. I notice one of them pondering while looking out over the river mouth. I asked what are you thinking about. The answer "I just realised that we live in hell".

Had a good laugh..

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Oudtshoorn / Mosselbaai
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2015, 04:08:56 pm »
Excellent report and nicely done.  Very tempting when you are there to just stay. I guess a few people do.

Interesting you should say that, most of the people I met that call themselves local went there for a holiday, and decided they are staying. Even the german guy working there, he traveled the world, came to CB and said "Im staying here". Still remember him saying "Germany is shit. Berlin is cool, but overall Germany is shit. To many rules, Germany makes you narrowminded, forces you to walk a certain path."

Another example is at breakfast with the two girls from Switzerland, talking about the differences between SA and Switzerland, their weather is bad, its cold, no beaches.. I notice one of them pondering while looking out over the river mouth. I asked what are you thinking about. The answer "I just realised that we live in hell".

Had a good laugh..

Hmm not so simple broer. Living in a country and being on holiday in a country is two different things. If the Swiss girl starts working in Joburg earning Rands she will quickly head back to Switzerland. Thing is she came to SA with Euros just relaxing for weeks. Not the same.

Take it from me i know.

Yes Germany like many first world countries limit what one can do. In my opinion having so many rules makes you a slave. But being a slave is not all bad. Like when you need pension or healthcare.

The german guy you are talking about probably likes it because he like the local girls hint hint and he likes to smoke shit loads of weed. You will probably find he got some Euros stashed away and can afford sitting there puffing all day.

Saying all of this you have a good career going you make good money. The lifestyle you desire is within your reach much easier than you think. But it includes scaling down on expenses. (No expensive BMW bikes!!!) Working hard for a couple of years saving as much money as possible. Making the right decisions and investments. By the time you are 40 you can sit next to the German puffing a zol or having a beer with me on Pattaya beach. Up to you.......  :occasion14:
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 04:21:31 pm by Captain Zef »

Offline Zaber

« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2015, 07:33:46 pm »
Captain Anticlimax

Offline Knucklhead

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • aka: Mooseknuckle/ knucky/knuckles/philistine
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2015, 07:50:46 pm »

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Oudtshoorn / Mosselbaai
« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2015, 09:15:28 pm »
Captain Anticlimax

Planning is key. You either make it happen of jy fok voort en niks gebeur ooit

Offline Wooly Bugger

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Buell Ulysses XB12
  • DILLIGAF?
« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2015, 12:37:54 pm »
Captain Anticlimax

+1.
Nice RR.
This is not life or death. It is an internet forum.

Offline DawieNel

« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2015, 05:09:21 pm »
Ai man, het nou lekker gelees - jy kan maar weer so maak...   

Offline LionBuell

Re:
« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2015, 01:39:41 am »
Was daar in '98 het ook by die backpackers gèbly. Jy moes oor n riviertjie ry om daar te kom. Ook net met laag water. Het gekom handrem van die kar opgetrek 3 dae later alles vas geroes. Nog twee dae om alles skoon te maak. Toe weer wag vir laag water. Ek was bly oor die eksta twee dae.... As dit êrens anders was so dit so 3 ure gevat het.

Offline Laban

• Bike: Zero (all models)
  • "Ride my own Ride"
« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2015, 04:09:10 am »

... :thumleft:
..."sometimes the people around you won't understand your journey, they don't need to, it's not for them"...Joubert Botha

...tie my own bootlaces…

Offline Frenchy28

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Happy day's
« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2015, 01:59:46 pm »
Excellent read... I'm pure local. We own the cottage next to Sugar Loaf. Happy days:P