Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Beter lights on ktm 640  (Read 1386 times)

Offline Ebs

• Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
Beter lights on ktm 640
« on: April 27, 2008, 06:15:47 pm »
hi any1 know how to improve the ktm 640 crappy lights.  I feel riding with candles would give me more light >:D

any ideas welcome can i get better bulps, HID or have both lights on at high beam setting?
BMW GS800 AVD
KTM 300 '02
KTM 640 AVD '06
Honda CR 250 '96
Suzuki DR 125 S '82

Offline Lito

• BANNED TROLL
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • BANNED TROLL
Re: Beter lights on ktm 640
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 06:37:02 pm »
i pitty you fool.

check out thumpers section in www.advrider.com - you will find the 640 linked thread there.

I bet you all the free petrol in the world, this foolish question has been answered.

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 06:47:43 pm »
No such thing as a foolish or stupid question when it comes to bikes here. IMO anyway.

Or did you forget the smileys Lito?  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :thumright: :thumright: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol:
He who angers you, controls you.

Offline Lito

• BANNED TROLL
  • BANNED TROLL
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 06:56:54 pm »
No such thing as a foolish or stupid question when it comes to bikes here. IMO anyway.

Or did you forget the smileys Lito?  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :thumright: :thumright: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol:

ag man poplap, jammer man.

check out ebs's signature......

it was a play on that.

read on. eb's is just a meanie cos he wont give us free petrol  :P

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 07:50:22 pm »
For a start go see Harold at Bikegear in PE if you're in that part of EC, I am sure a HID light will work in the 640.

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 07:53:14 pm »
For a start go see Harold at Bikegear in PE if you're in that part of EC, I am sure a HID light will work in the 640.
HID will make the world of difference, your bike uses H1 globes. I am getting a 640 to convert soon, if you want to wait a while I'll let you know how effective it is....
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 10:27:57 pm »

ag man poplap, jammer man.

check out ebs's signature......

it was a play on that.

read on. eb's is just a meanie cos he wont give us free petrol  :P

Ok. Me not so sharp.  :mrgreen:
He who angers you, controls you.

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Live to Ride...Ride to Live
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 10:35:12 pm »
Cannot believe it could be that bad..(always room for improvement though!)...checked your eyes lately?
'Routine is the thief of time'

Offline Ebs

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 07:13:31 am »
thanks m8 il keep a watch on here to see if the hid works on the 640

hey lito been going thru the avidrider forum too m8 but it does seem that a person cant get friken decent answer there.

but i saw that a person can have both low beam and high beam on at same time, any1 know how to do that? 
BMW GS800 AVD
KTM 300 '02
KTM 640 AVD '06
Honda CR 250 '96
Suzuki DR 125 S '82

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 07:22:20 am »

hey lito been going thru the avidrider forum too m8 but it does seem that a person cant get friken decent answer there.

but i saw that a person can have both low beam and high beam on at same time, any1 know how to do that? 

Part of the installation I have to do, the transition from lo to hi is too slow, lo will need to stay on all the time. A bit of wiring trickery will be needed.....
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline Lito

• BANNED TROLL
  • BANNED TROLL
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 07:51:21 am »

Sorry Ebs, moenie kak praat nie man.

;D

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86958 - this is the index thread for all things 640 - and they are far more technical and involved than any other resource on the planet.

If you cant find your answer there, then the question doesnt exist  ;)

That was in thumpers, on the first page, right near the top, one of the top two stickies

Hope that helps now.

Offline Uiltjie

• Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Caledon
    • http://www.goudinie.co.za
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2008, 09:22:50 am »
Ebs, riding back from George on Friday night, I had the first real opportunity to test my HID lights (I did both).

Man, what a difference!  I cannot tell you more how absolutely fantastic it was.  The only problem I had, was that it being a long weekend, I had millions of cars coming from the front, and although my lights aren't set to high, about 50% of oncoming traffic flashed at me, even at my low beam!

When I got home, I had to take my cage to town to a party, and an e-class has great lights, I reached for the hi beam ever so often, meaning that I was looking for more lights, as my eyes got used to the bike's lights.....makes you think doesn't it?
"Sit vis vobiscum."

Offline Ebs

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2008, 05:39:38 pm »
how much the HID go for uil?
BMW GS800 AVD
KTM 300 '02
KTM 640 AVD '06
Honda CR 250 '96
Suzuki DR 125 S '82

Offline buzzlightyear

• I'm Buzz Lightyear. I come in peace.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • To infinity and beyond
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2008, 06:21:15 pm »

Man, what a difference!  I cannot tell you more how absolutely fantastic it was.  The only problem I had, was that it being a long weekend, I had millions of cars coming from the front, and although my lights aren't set to high, about 50% of oncoming traffic flashed at me, even at my low beam!

Isn't this what that UK report linked by someone said, the beam strays all over the place, that's why they flash you?
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2008, 06:40:19 pm »
There are probably HID kits that 'stray all over the place', but from my experience the kits supplied my BikeGear give a very sharp definitive beam, the end and beginning of the beam is very sharp and defined, there are no stray beams that I've seen.
Oncoming vehicles probably flash guys with HID lights because of the brightness of the light, I've parked my car (BMW fitted with BikeGear HID lights) next to another car that as factory equiped HID lights (Mercedes Benz) and see no difference in intensity. they are both very bright. What makes a difference though is the HID is a very close simulation of actual daylight, so a person's eyes readjust very quickly after the car/bike has passed.
The normal Halogen globe tends to leave a 'residual' after the car/bike has passed, in other words the human eye takes longer to readjust with Halogen lights.
I recommend that if you fit HID lights to your bike, adjust the headlight down a little.
I have HID lights on my 1150 GSA, KTM and my car, and very seldom get flashed.
Before you fit HID lights to a car or bike, first mark on the garage door or a wall where your Halogen lights shine, then after the HID's have been fitted, check them again, making sure the bike/car is in exactly the same position as before, and check them again, often you will have to adjust them down slightly.
As a matter of interest, mark the outline of the Halogen beam, then compare to the HID beam, there should be no difference. You will also notice a much sharper definition.

Offline Uiltjie

• Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Caledon
    • http://www.goudinie.co.za
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2008, 07:03:31 pm »
There are probably HID kits that 'stray all over the place', but from my experience the kits supplied my BikeGear give a very sharp definitive beam, the end and beginning of the beam is very sharp and defined, there are no stray beams that I've seen.
Oncoming vehicles probably flash guys with HID lights because of the brightness of the light, I've parked my car (BMW fitted with BikeGear HID lights) next to another car that as factory equiped HID lights (Mercedes Benz) and see no difference in intensity. they are both very bright. What makes a difference though is the HID is a very close simulation of actual daylight, so a person's eyes readjust very quickly after the car/bike has passed.
The normal Halogen globe tends to leave a 'residual' after the car/bike has passed, in other words the human eye takes longer to readjust with Halogen lights.
I recommend that if you fit HID lights to your bike, adjust the headlight down a little.
I have HID lights on my 1150 GSA, KTM and my car, and very seldom get flashed.
Before you fit HID lights to a car or bike, first mark on the garage door or a wall where your Halogen lights shine, then after the HID's have been fitted, check them again, making sure the bike/car is in exactly the same position as before, and check them again, often you will have to adjust them down slightly.
As a matter of interest, mark the outline of the Halogen beam, then compare to the HID beam, there should be no difference. You will also notice a much sharper definition.

+1.  Exactly
"Sit vis vobiscum."

Offline krazy-eyes

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2008, 07:36:22 pm »
bike gear?

website?
address?
phone?

shark_za

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2008, 07:47:17 pm »
Click-Click  - see the sponsors logos at the top of the page.

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2008, 08:58:21 pm »
bike gear?

website?
address?
phone?

I also keep stock....and would lurve to get a 640 to fit lights onto.....Or you can fit them yourself and let me know how effective they are....

Offline krazy-eyes

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2008, 08:27:51 pm »
bike gear?

website?
address?
phone?

I also keep stock....and would lurve to get a 640 to fit lights onto.....Or you can fit them yourself and let me know how effective they are....

tell you what, i'll let you use my 640 as a "test" bike.
you give me the HID upgrade and i will come round everytime you want to demo the lights to a customer.

deal?