Tubeless rim conversion for DR650 possible?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Serfie

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
Jaahhh...I know...I'm NOT technicallymechanically minded at all (although I manage my own oil/filter changes and chain adjustments)...so SORRY for being a real office Johnny, but I have to get clarity on this issue!

Is it at all possible to get a DR running on tubeless tyres?...so that in the event of a puncture I can just plug it? What is this Excell rims I read about? I regularly do day trips on gravel and farm roads in my local area (approx. 240km per day) and sometimes trailer the bike to other scenic areas for day trips there. To date never had a flat out there (thrice a flat the next morning due to a nail in the tyre), but it's very discomforting to worry about this all the time.

The guy that works on my bikes (KLR650 the other bike in the garage - but already getting heavy for my thin frame and fading muscle strength) talks something about the bead on a tubeless rim making it dangerous for a tubeless tyre on a rim designed for tubes. Was considering the Tubeliss system that I have read about, but it does not have 17'' tubes and would in any case be exactly what the mechanic warned me about...

Any advice???...just want to get out there... on tubeless tyres with the plug and cartridge kit in the kitbag.

This is the boney that has to do service until I cannot ride anymore...stock standard 2008 DR650 with 38 000km and quite a few D/S farkles.

Attachments

• DSC00984.jpg
    DSC00984.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 464