Touring Woes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WF

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Hi all !
Just returned from our Big 5 Tour through Botswana,Zambia,Malawi and Mozambique totaling 6000km.One 1200GT,2 120O Adventures and 1 1200 GS.
The reason for this mail is to raise 2 issues and seek your opinions.For us the most contensious issue always is the back-up vehicle.It adds a lot to the general tour price and many regard it as unnecessary.

The following is not intended as a bike bashing session but just as an insight as to what CAN and Does HAPPEN .

On day 9 the Adventures clutch starts to go,we battle with it for 2 more days and then it finaly gives up .The bike has 40 000km on the clock and this is a tar road tour, open road and no off-road.BMW assures me that clutch failure on these bikes is unheard of.Mine has 55000km and no hassles.

On day 11 just south of Tete the 1200 GS hits a really moderate size pothole and breaks the rear shock out of the swing arm. The bike has no luggage and is one up.

We arrange 2 replacement bikes in Inhassoro and continue.
On day 16 the replacement bike breaks an alternator belt but thankfully i have one.The bike has 38000km on the clock.

So we start with 4 bikes and 3 fail for various reasons,all are unable to be ridden and only the alternator belt is repairable on the road.

All the bikes appeared to be in good condition and i believe we just got unlucky !
So next time you tour think carefully about the back-up vehicle.We all do thousands of km without incident but when you are miles from home in another country and no BMW on line its going to cost you a fortune to get your bike back home.
Also on tour not all the participants are your mates, they want to continue to the next destination and the fact that your bike is down really can cause friction and frustration.

The second issue is that of bike warranties and BMW on Call.Many of us are venturing into neighbouring countries where we have no support from BMW or any other manufacturer so far as i know.
So when a clutch fails or you have any other warranty issue it remains your problem to get your bike home.
As a tour operator i had 2 foreign guests on a 17 day tour.When the clutch fails or a belt breaks due to no fault of theirs they have no recourse from the rental company or BMW.So from day 11 the client is expected to ride in the vehicle missing out on the rest of his tour. This after paying me and the rental company for 17 days of tour and bike hire.
Im not sure what we can do about it but it sure seems unfair.Imagine if you embark on such a tour with your new bike and it packs up,everyone shrugs their shoulders.

All credit to the rental company for bringing us 2 replacement bikes but the fact is it cost the clients a fortune.

Ill be interested to hear your comments.

WF
PS  No i dont want to buy a KTM and they dont rent out bikes !