Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: How do you make time for riding?  (Read 4466 times)

Offline kanaalaapxt660

• Bike: AJS (all models)
Re:
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2015, 08:22:47 pm »
Before I watch rugby I take my bike for a drive and my oldest daughter take her horse and and ride with me so its not so fast drive but my skills is being test cause it is quite a bad road with lots of rocks and sand and we both LOVE it very much

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Tapatalk

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

Re: How do you make time for riding?
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2015, 09:15:31 pm »
 :peepwall:

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2015, 09:49:45 pm »
Me, I don't know rugby at all except it's some stupid game where guys do dubious stuff like sticking their heads between each others arses, and their hands between each others legs, and the ball hardly seems to matter.

But they are doing what they enjoy! :pot: :pot: :peepwall:

Offline shanti

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • rest stop moon
    • derek saul
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2015, 11:26:59 pm »
long trips twice a year - take 2 weeks off - ride solo my partner understands , try ride everyday around the area - have work on various different farms so lots of dirt road commuting . only bike my missus will ride with me is the vuka - she loves it as it is quiet so riding in the forest round where I live is great  - any bike ride is great , even slow round the forest - take any gap and make small compromises and lots of bike riding happens - also have a weird pleasure when itssss pissing down and our road turns to snot watching 4x4's get stuck while riding past on the vuka - bike sits in front of the house , I look at the bakkie , look at the bike - no brianer

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2015, 06:37:08 am »
As ek so deur almal se reponse lees lyk my dit hang maar van baie faktore af:

- Ouderdom van die kinders
- Waar jy bly en hoe naby riding terrain is
- Persoonlike prioriteite
- Werk omstandighede

Weedkiller-Adie, ek is ook maar redelik van die huis af agv my konstruksie loopbaan met sites in en om SA so moet ook die ding mooi juggle en dis hoekom ek nie sommer naweke op trips gaan nie.  Spandeer dit in elk geval eerder met SWAMBO en kinders, maar erens moet 'n man tyd maak om van die stress ontslae te raak.

Oom Jup - obvious die liefde vir ry kwyn nie en as 'n man 'n paar jaar moet afknyp is dit ook reg so.

Markdiver - Ek hoor ook daai stemmetjie en maak maar throttle bietjie toe.  Die skuld gevoel van alleen wees oorheers egter nog steeds die throttle control.

Bens - call me a pissy but will never commute in Gauteng.  My only route to work is the N1 or R101 and if you see how some of the guys drive it won't be long before I meet my final destiny.  I do however forget to buy milk etc on purpose to get to the shop quickly. Like that you're getting the wife on a bike.  I'm gonna start working on that, with the two boys already well on their way.

2StrokeDan - I think your post is extremely relevant.  Some okes play golf, others go hunting etc.  We have a love for biking and it remains essential to practice some hobby.  I will just have to change a couple things and make the time without compromising family time.

OomD - Ek gaan verseker daaraan werk om vroutjie meer involved te kry.  Sy ondersteun reeds my en die laaities en alhoewel ek twyfel dat sy self sal ry, gaan ek probeer. 

Kanaalaap & Shanti - you obviously have riding terrain on your doorstep.  I envy you!

Got to appreciate Bens slogan below his avatar: "Set your priorities - and stick with them"

Dankie vir almal se kommentaar tot dusver.

"If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them.  I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

-David Livingstone-

Offline Noneking

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2015, 08:01:12 am »
I sold my bike (after a bit of an off when my wife was 8 months pregnant)  in 2005.

Would still go on the occasional trip, rent bikes and do a week or so with the mates.

My kids are now 7 and 10 and love riding with me. Bought a bike again 3 years ago, and loving every minute.

I ride most weekends, mostly alone , but leave home before sunrise and usually back after a 3 or 4 hour ride in the beautiful Lowveld to enjoy rest of the day with my girls.

Also make sure to take the wife on a sleep-over trip every month or so.......
2007 KTM 990 S
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Offline Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • HKGK !!!
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2015, 08:03:11 am »
Hier's my storie waar jy kan  lees hoe dit gewerk het  http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=67063.0
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline T Rex

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2015, 08:13:01 am »
I am married and we have a son , 10 years old.

Fortunately I am my own boss and can work flexible hours. If I plan my diary I can even steal a day or two from time to time. I have a few friends who can do the same.

So our favorite way to take a little trip is to ride somewhere on a Thursday afternoon , explore that area on the Friday , and ride back  home on a Saturday morning. Then I can spend time with the family the rest of the weekend.

My wife ride with me but she doesn't like the dirt roads. So , we , from time to time take a tar breakaway and our son stays with Oupa and Ouma.

My son is big enough to take short trips , like a brekkie around PTA .

Offline Gérrard

• Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • HKGK !!!
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2015, 08:23:42 am »
I am married and we have a son , 10 years old.

Fortunately I am my own boss and can work flexible hours. If I plan my diary I can even steal a day or two from time to time. I have a few friends who can do the same.

So our favorite way to take a little trip is to ride somewhere on a Thursday afternoon , explore that area on the Friday , and ride back  home on a Saturday morning. Then I can spend time with the family the rest of the weekend.

My wife ride with me but she doesn't like the dirt roads. So , we , from time to time take a tar breakaway and our son stays with Oupa and Ouma.

My son is big enough to take short trips , like a brekkie around PTA .

Ah ! The life of us at the top of the food chain  :imaposer:

Offline T Rex

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2015, 09:05:36 am »
I always say .... I have 365 days leave ...... Each one of them UNPAID   :eek7:
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 09:06:19 am by T Rex »

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2015, 09:19:44 am »
I'm retired and it's just the Missus and me, so in theory I can ride wherever and whenever I like. The bummer is though that I just can't afford it and that's what rations my riding.
Every Saturday I meet with a regular bunch of mates for a breakfast ride. I belong to the vintage oriented Kickstart Club who have a gentle little potter one Sunday each month, but my interest in that is waning because the other guys are aging at a much faster rate than I am and their rides are getting shorter and slower.
The highlight is when the local Dogs have a Sunday outride, and I can go maybe two or three times a year on a weekend Bash.
All in all though I should consider myself lucky that I can still afford to ride at all, and I know it can't go on for very much longer. After I've sold the house, car, furniture, all appliances, most clothing except my riding gear, and taken to sleeping in the garage with the bikes, then I might have to sell the bikes, and after that it will be a park bench or shop doorway for me if I don't die first.

Jeez, I'm a gloomy bugger this morning. Maybe I should go for a ride!  :snorting:
Succumb not to the erosion of those born of unconsecrated union.

"Two Wheels, an engine and a place to sit." What more do you need?

Still Here - amazed and lucky.

Offline Omninorm

Re:
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2015, 09:23:28 am »
You plan and schedule it like the rest of your life. If you don't,  something else will just be scheduled instead.
I. e Schedule your "me"  time.
Current: :
Previous:  KTM 690 Enduro R , BMW G310GS, BMW 1200GS LC, BMW F800GS, Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda Transalp XLV700, BMW Xchallenge, BMW Xcountry, Yamaha WR250F, Honda NC750X, Honda XR150, Kawasaki KLX450R, Yamaha YZ250, Kawasaki KX450, Yamaha YZ250F,  KTM 250 XCW, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha DT50, Honda NSR250, Yamaha RZ 50.

Offline Gérrard

• Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • HKGK !!!
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2015, 10:42:57 am »

Of soos Draadwerk sę... work is something we do in between riding  :lol8:

Offline JFE

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2015, 11:11:40 am »
Never been without a bike, 3 children aged 15; 7 and 1. The eldest never wanted to ride with me, have no interrest in bikes. The middle one, I straped him to me with a tie-down since age 4 and he rides short (less than 20km) with me on the bike.
I pay the extra expence but wife and kids go by car, and I go by bike. We agree on a place we're going and meet there for a family day out. That way I combine both worlds.

Offline Charlie600

« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2015, 11:29:20 am »
One of the best threads from a real world perspective - I'm subscribing in advance for when the bambinos arrive in 18-24 months!  :ricky:

Currently using the bike for my daily commute (12km one way) is however immensely satisfying as an interim measure in-between the 2 or 3 proper bike trips per annum.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 11:31:04 am by Charlie600 »

Offline T Rex

« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2015, 04:09:20 pm »

Of soos Draadwerk sę... work is something we do in between riding  :lol8:

Groot waarheid daardie ...... Dit is sulke kort wegbreke wat maak dat ek nie van my kop af raak nie !!

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2015, 09:11:47 pm »
Hier's my storie waar jy kan  lees hoe dit gewerk het  http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=67063.0

Oom Jup, dankie ek het gelees.  Nou wil ek sommer ook 'n airhead hę.  :thumleft:

Nou ja, die naweek is verby en ek en die jongste mannetjie was darem met die 990 winkel toe vir Coke, maar weer eens wat 'n waardevolle tyd saam met my manne, en natuurlik SWAMBO.

Saterdag het die oudste 3 rugby wedstryde gespeel en doodmoeg die middag rustig spandeer terwyl sy jonger broer bietjie sy ry vernuf opgeknap het. (Check daai smile - 'n WD in wording)  Vandag het ons met die restorasie van die quad saam begin.

Tyd vir ry sal geskeduleer word en sal met die tyd kom, maar vir nou geniet ek dit saam met die kleinspan!  Wie weet, sien julle dalk op die 2015 anniversary bash.

"If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them.  I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

-David Livingstone-

Offline 2wdrift

• Bike: Honda XR650R
  • KLR Flip...
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2015, 09:38:34 pm »
At this time in my life I am single by choice and I do not have many responsibilities. Thus I ride when and where I want to as long as the funds permit it.

I envy you guys with families sometimes, but it never lasts. I plan to stay free as long as possible. Or at least until I grow up :pot:
XR650R the one and only
Calling upon my years of experience, I froze at the controls.  ~Stirling Moss

Don't worry my stutter is also bilingual...

Offline Gérrard

• Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • HKGK !!!
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2015, 09:39:49 pm »
 :thumleft: Gee jou kinders al die tyd wat jy kan.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2015, 10:31:22 pm »
KTMKobus, ek sien jy leer jou kinders reg! Ordentlike mouterbaaikie daai!