Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: How do you make time for riding?  (Read 4468 times)

Offline Warren Ellwood

Re: How do you make time for riding?
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2015, 11:04:03 am »
So it seems I am one of the very lucky ones.

Wife and I are DINKS, double income, no kids  ;). We made that decision long before motorcycles appeared in our life's path.

The wife rides her own bike, carries her own kit, and besides too much sand or very technical terrain, can mostly get by without help. She also loves the outdoors, camping, wearing the same clothes for days and eating with her fingers etc.

We do have animals, but we have a very good youngster who stays with them and also looks after the house while we are away.

Our house is a small lock up and go, no large lawns to look after etc., just a big garage.

I am one of the strange Saffers who doesn't watch any rugby, cricket or soccer. I don't do Formula 1 and have a PVR to record all things motorbike.

We do not have many friends who do not ride.

I don't commute (too scared to) and don't really like days rides. If a long day's riding doesn't end somewhere with a tent and a fire, it sort of loses the allure for me.

So, as you can see, currently, we have almost every weekend free to get away, so we do.

I just have no idea what we are going to do when we are old. Maybe when the money runs out, we do a Thelma and Louise somewhere  >:D.

"Before you speak, ask yourself, is it kind, is it necessary, is it true, and does it improve on the silence?"

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Re: How do you make time for riding?
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2015, 07:17:26 am »
Never been without a bike, 3 children aged 15; 7 and 1. The eldest never wanted to ride with me, have no interrest in bikes. The middle one, I straped him to me with a tie-down since age 4 and he rides short (less than 20km) with me on the bike.
I pay the extra expence but wife and kids go by car, and I go by bike. We agree on a place we're going and meet there for a family day out. That way I combine both worlds.

So, with all the advice from the thread, we set off yesterday for a biking day at Rhino park.  Me on the 640 and my neighbour and his son on the 990 with the wives and kids by car to meet us there.

Needless to say fun was had by all and my itch was scratched.  New strength for the week ahead with all its challenges.  :thumleft:

Thanks to all for contributing to this thread.

Cheers, Kobus

"If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them.  I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

-David Livingstone-