Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: cast aliminium bash plate  (Read 14292 times)

Offline shanti

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • rest stop moon
    • derek saul
Re: cast aliminium bash plate
« Reply #80 on: November 16, 2015, 10:07:36 am »
plodding along , a friends bashplate was broken by a rock - decided to see if I could cast the more complex shape of the XT660Z - havnt done the fitting yet as sculpture work has poured in with the last minute Christmas rush . Here is the work so far 

Offline fcprinsloo7@gmail.com

• Main MOEGOE...
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
« Reply #81 on: November 16, 2015, 12:14:37 pm »
Great job! I see a new line of bash plates hitting the market soon!  :dousing:to the naysayers!

Offline wobbler

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #82 on: November 16, 2015, 01:38:03 pm »
I like.
A lot!
I'd love a replacement cast job for my 990 (Hint hint..)

Offline The Badger

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Thank you SADF
« Reply #83 on: November 16, 2015, 06:36:00 pm »
Stylish  :thumleft: Well done.
Good friends and fresh mud......

It is not about what you ride...... but WHO you ride with !

Offline shanti

• rest stop moon
    • derek saul
« Reply #84 on: November 25, 2015, 09:30:03 pm »
I like.
A lot!
I'd love a replacement cast job for my 990 (Hint hint..)

whats the plastic one like in terms of thickness ? - the KLR and the XT are both great for casting as the overall thickness is about 5mm and they dont have too many reinforcing bits - smooth shape

Offline Rufus115

« Reply #85 on: December 01, 2015, 11:41:30 am »
Shanti

The HDPE KTM ones for smaller bikes are about 3-4mm thick, certainly not 5mm.

I have just read all 5 pages of this thread, and I am so impressed by what you attempt...clearly you are not only an artist in only one area .

Now that I have buttered you up with praise, I would very much like to hijack your thread just a wee bit.

I have attached a pic of a rubber/ali part that I have been contemplating getting cast in ali for a project bike. Its an intake boot off an RZ500...square one end to round other. The challenge is the round side is 26mm, I need 40mm. So what I have been pondering is getting the part drawn up in 3D CAd (which my drawing office would do for me quick quick), stretch the one end of the drawing to 40mm and then getting it 3D printed as a form to be used as in a mould to cast from. My trouble is casting is an area I have no reference in or people that know if this is feasible.....people like you :)

I would greatly value your insight into whether my idea if k@k or not.

"To live, you gotta lose some sleep"

Offline shanti

• rest stop moon
    • derek saul
« Reply #86 on: December 01, 2015, 01:24:04 pm »
Hey Rufus - thank you , good idea , it would be interesting to see if the 3D print can burn . The logic behind this would be to get the piece printed out and then proceed as you would with a direct casting using ceramic shell . This is a process called lost wax casting - the reason I would be interested in the 'burnability' of the 3D print would be to take the print - sprue it up ( essentially adding runners and risers for the metal to flow and the air to be displaced ) , then cover with a ceramic shell then the big moment - attempt to melt out the 3D print so that you would be left with a void for the metal to run into , I have cast branches directly using this method and it has worked .
If it doesn't work then the next solution would be to make a silicone mould of your print and cast from this mould a wax version , this can be then taken to any art foundry/lost wax foundry  and cast as a normal item - obviously the mould making incurs quite a high expense as does the once off casting for the piece .
At the moment I am casting exclusively in sand but I plan next year to expand my foundry and include lost wax casting which is actually my area of expertise  I did my apprenticeship in Birmingham at an art casting foundry many many moons ago . So depending on your rush ........................
Otherwise I see you are up in JHB - In your neck of the woods these are the guys to go to - they cast a map of the world for me for Anglo American - it was too big for my little foundry - they can cast in stainless steel as well  - http://www.dswartstudio.com/ - they can offer a much quicker service than me as they are a high turn around foundry + the range of metals they can cast in is quite wide .
It will be a good morning out to pop into their workshop .
Attached is an example of a direct cast branch

Offline Rufus115

« Reply #87 on: December 02, 2015, 08:24:43 am »
Hi Shanti

Thanks v much for the extensive information. I did cover some of this in my workshop practices studies moons ago but my engineering career hasn't brought me in working touch with casting so I am a little (a little lot...) out of my comfort zone.

I will get my hands on some printed scrap and try and burn it...step 1.

Cheers for now...will be in touch  :thumleft:

Offline Crab

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #88 on: December 02, 2015, 08:49:28 am »
You can do 3D wax prints too, designed for casting. Remember to allow for shrinkage as the metal cools down.
Look for a shooting star and see Lynda's trail and remember all the great places you shared with her,she will never forget what she shared with you and will show you that in every starry night .

Offline shanti

• rest stop moon
    • derek saul
« Reply #89 on: December 02, 2015, 09:03:36 am »
You can do 3D wax prints too, designed for casting. Remember to allow for shrinkage as the metal cools down.

I am so old school and out of this loop when it comes to casting - there you go Rufus - easy peasy - allow about a 1.8% reduction with the shrinkage in ALI - ie make your 3D CAD drawing 1.8% bigger . If you manage to find someone to do the wax print then most lost wax foundries casting in Ali will be able to take that into a final finish . To save money ( if its an issue ) ask to do the final fettling and grinding yourself - its PT but will save a bit

In regards to the shrinkage that has been the problem in my 1:1 copies of existing plastic bashplates - a PITA - will stick to my art castings rather unless someone is prepared to teach me the ins and outs of 3D rendering and wax printing ----------------- nah !

Offline Rufus115

« Reply #90 on: December 02, 2015, 10:00:05 am »
Cool advice thanks

I need to make 4 of these, one for each carb. I understand that its not a cheap process, but its my dream project bike and I want to do it properly.
I don't mind doing the hand fettling myself..in fact prefer it.

Cheers again

Offline Weedkiller - Adie

« Reply #91 on: December 02, 2015, 11:16:08 am »
Hi there,
I will reply later as I need to go to a meeting.

BUTTTTT.
1. the shrinkage is not 100% linear at 1.8%  there are much more at stake like 'contractability' etc. etc. etc.
2. the part in question 'must' be heat insulating.  Keep the hot head temp away from the 'cold' carb. etc etc.
3. A 'soft' adapter will 'isolate' engine vibrations that will eat up the needle and seat etc. etc.
4. 90% of the time the alu part must be 'faced' in a machine to ensure flat mating surfaces unless it is pressure cast etc etc.
5. etc etc.

there are lots of 'easy' moulding options that will do the job.

till later

Adie

Laat ons Stof maak.

Offline Rufus115

« Reply #92 on: December 02, 2015, 12:38:21 pm »
@ Weedkiller Adie

Now this gets interesting (I followed some of the stuff you posted under the Garage Projects section)...your points are valid and have concerned me. This has been my thinking.

The original part is a combo of ali and rubber, the ali being the cast inside the rubber on the sqr flange end, then at some point is rubber only where it terminates onto the carb. Underneath this, is the semi rubber reed block, which in my thinking would isolate some of the heat.
My intention is to fuel inject this bike (round slide Khein carbs are somewhat pricey and mucking around with jetting is not what I call fun). I am using intake bodies from an R6 with integral injectors so needle and seat wear is not a huge concern.

But I would prefer rubber, my concern is moulding rubber. I found a product called versimold on the net, a pliable heat (non pressured) curing rubber you can buy but it looks too flimsy.

....I have now turned this into a serious hijack.....new thread?

Offline Weedkiller - Adie

« Reply #93 on: December 02, 2015, 01:57:20 pm »
hi

Yes, me thinks a new thread is a must.  I will still follow this thread - not for the bashplates but for the alu casting info.

Maybe you can start with your posts edited and combined for a 'one shot up to speed' post.  >:D

Shanti
we inherited a furnace (oil burner and blower with some other parts) and are looking at some investment casting or whatever you 'foundrymen' call it.  We got/do CAD, 3D printer, moulding 'stuff' etc etc etc but no alu casting yet.  I will look at the finish and quality of clutch levers etc.

Basically we want to produce alu items without CNC milling but same finish.  dunno if it is possible.

Adie
Laat ons Stof maak.