Baviaans! (lots of pics)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trailrider

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda TransAlp XL700V
Itâ??s been a while since Iâ??ve have a proper rideâ?¦ I needed a breakaway with friends to recharge the batteries. This got me thinking â?? Eisbein and I still havenâ??t ridden Baviaans together. The last time we tried (on the Roam Free ride) he broke his suspension. So with a long weekend ahead a plan was set in motionâ?¦

Day 1:

Eisbein, Vicky, Operator, LGF and I were going to spend the weekend riding the amazing roads and passes of the Garden Route, Baviaanskloof and Klein Karoo. Eisbein, Vicky and Operator arrived in George on Friday night already so we could have an early start the next day, but we chatted the night away and only got to bed in the wee hours of the morning. We left George (the sixth oldest town in South Africa) early on the 1st day full of anticipation of what lay ahead.

P4260001.jpg

The route for the first day would follow the 7 Passes road, Kom se Pad, Prince Alfredâ??s Pass, past Uniondale, through the Hartbeesrivier road and the Noukloof Pass toe Uitspan campsite in the Western side of the Baviaanskloof.

First up: Saasveld Pass. It's tarred but the scenery more that makes up for that. We encountered lots of runners on this section. Petrol must really be getting expensive. ::)

P1240002.jpg

P6220009.jpg

P6220007.jpg

Saasveld Pass and the Old George/Knysna road is a historic route with old bridges and lots of scenery. The bridges date from the late 1800's and very early 1900's.

P4260006.jpg

P4260008.jpg

P4260010.jpg

P4260011.jpg

Near the old forestry settlement Karatra we met up with LGF and his trusty DRZ.

P4260014.jpg

After cheerful greetings the full party continued on through the rest of the 7 Passesâ?¦

P4260018.jpg

P6240157.jpg

P4260021.jpg

â?¦past the Knysna lagoon, along â??Kom se padâ? and over Prince Alfred's Pass towards Uniondale.

P4260023.jpg

P4260025.jpg

Eisbein and Vicky cruising along enjoying the scenery:

P4260029.jpg

In Uniondale we stopped at our usual spot â?? the Crackling Rosie â?? for some lunch. Lots more chat and laughter (this is a social scenic ride after all 8)) and with full tummies we headed off to Baviaanskloof!

P4260033.jpg

P4260035.jpg

Bring it on! Thereâ??s no stopping us this time. ;D We were past the point were had had to turn around last time and anticipation was building.

P4260037.jpg

Nuwekloof Pass was our final pass of for the day and it did not disappoint.

P4260042.jpg

P4260047.jpg

Finally our destination for the first night. Uitspan is an old favorite with great facilities.

P4260049.jpg

P4260050.jpg

Baviaanskloof teems with wildlife, including Leopard, Rhino and Buffalo, but weâ??ll go searching for those on Day 2. Tonight we had a rugby game to watch (Go Stormers!) and a nice braai waiting.

P2250122.jpg

P2250118.jpg

(Pic from a previous ride)

We spend some time in the bar and had some lamb tjops & sosaties on the braai. After lots and lots of laughter we finally settled in much later that night. I'm sure some of the other members will post more pictures. ;)

On Day 1 we rode 9 spectacular passes in 260km and including all photo stops and lunch we travelled 7 hours from George to Uitspan. It was a nice leisurely ride and the perfect precursor for what was to follow on Day 2.