Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: SSS bash plate  (Read 1335 times)

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zundapp (all models)
SSS bash plate
« on: May 26, 2015, 12:41:26 pm »
Have anyone got a bashplate from SSS mounted on their DR650?

More importantly, did it fit earlier models as well?

I see it states on their website that it is for 2010 models, but as far as I know no real changes was made to the DR650 SE since 2003 with the new metal base gasket - http://dr650.zenseeker.net/DR650History.htm

Offline chopperpilot

• Afrikaans...Dis my taal! Engels...Dit verstaan ek ook!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • "Jack of all Trades... Master of Some."
Re: SSS bash plate
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 02:24:14 pm »
My riding buddy bought one. He returned it to Runner. Was to short at the back. Was also told the 2010 different frame story. It might be true, but I have never read this info any where.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Current Bikes : KTM 990 R, Husqvarna 610 TE, KTM 500 XCW

End of an Era : Suzuki DR 650 SE.

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 03:41:07 pm »
My riding buddy bought one. He returned it to Runner. Was to short at the back. Was also told the 2010 different frame story. It might be true, but I have never read this info any where.

Ja, I have also not read anywhere of any significant change to the 2010 models that set it appart from those before it.

What model is you friend's bike? Is it USA spec or the normal one that Suzuki imported?

Offline chopperpilot

• Forum Whore
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 07:10:13 pm »
2009, and US spec.

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 08:57:22 pm »
2009, and US spec.

I am starting to suspect thst the US spec bike is slightly different hence the SSS plate not fitting. Have no proof of this, just a probability as it also did not fit my US spec bike.

Offline chopperpilot

• Forum Whore
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 09:05:16 pm »
2009, and US spec.

I am starting to suspect thst the US spec bike is slightly different hence the SSS plate not fitting. Have no proof of this, just a probability as it also did not fit my US spec bike.
The models should only differ regarding safety items, such as lights, as well as emmision control items.

Johann's DR should be in Nelspruit this weekend. Will have a look and report here!

Did you try the SSS bash plate at Runner's shop?

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 08:34:12 am »
2009, and US spec.

The models should only differ regarding safety items, such as lights, as well as emmision control items.

Johann's DR should be in Nelspruit this weekend. Will have a look and report here!

Did you try the SSS bash plate at Runner's shop?

Yes, they good-looking bash plates and Runner has in stock so I tried it on - did not fit. He is trying to engage SSS Racing on the issue at the moment.

Offline Bensien

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 09:30:27 am »
My DR is an American spec. The SSS bash plate fitted without any major issues, although I  had to use a rubber mallet to get everything to line up, and the bolts they supplied to attach it to the frame down tube were to short.
Why do things that only happen to stupid people always happen to me?

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 10:21:13 am »
I have made a stack of sump guards for DR650SE (SP46 model code) which was produced starting with the 1996 year model.

I sold and fitted my guards to all year models from 1996 to 2013 and they all fitted without any issues.

I never found the slightest differences between early and late model frames nor between US and Euro models.

The frames showed slight deviations (around 1mm) in width measured on the outside of the lower forward engine mount which I used to attach the sump guards. The initial design (rigid forward mounting points) sometimes required the guards mounting tabs to be slightly bent to allow the attachment to a wider frame.
After I changed the design of my guards to flexible mounts all round this was not an issue any more. Everything fits perfectly and without using a rubber mallet.

Before you fit a sump guard to your DR650SE make sure that the rear mounting points (OEM welded onto the frame) are not bent from previous ground contacts. Straighten if necessary.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 10:34:58 am »
I have made a stack of sump guards for DR650SE (SP46 model code) which was produced starting with the 1996 year model.

I sold and fitted my guards to all year models from 1996 to 2013 and they all fitted without any issues.

I never found the slightest differences between early and late model frames nor between US and Euro models.

The frames showed slight deviations (around 1mm) in width measured on the outside of the lower forward engine mount which I used to attach the sump guards. The initial design (rigid forward mounting points) sometimes required the guards mounting tabs to be slightly bent to allow the attachment to a wider frame.
After I changed the design of my guards to flexible mounts all round this was not an issue any more. Everything fits perfectly and without using a rubber mallet.

Before you fit a sump guard to your DR650SE make sure that the rear mounting points (OEM welded onto the frame) are not bent from previous ground contacts. Straighten if necessary.

Thanks LeCap for the confirmation :thumleft:

Offline chopperpilot

• Forum Whore
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2015, 12:13:48 pm »

LeCap

Can you post a pic of the change in design at the front mounts? ???

I had to weld the front mounts on the old design bash plate  last week. The LH mount broke completely off. :o

Offline Serfie

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2015, 10:23:30 am »
Ordered the SSS bash plate but ended up taking it to a workshop for modifications as it would not fit my 2008 model.
“So much of life can never be explained…it can only be witnessed and experienced…but above all...life just goes on…no matter what!!”

Previous bikes - 1980 XL125S: 1986 IT200: 1989 XT250:  1999 Africa Twin 750XLV: 2011 XR250 Tornado: 1999 XJR900 Diversion:  1996 Varadero XL1000V: 2007 Transalp 650
Currently - 2008 KLR650 / 2008 DR650 / 2015 SYM CROX 125 / 2015 Kawasaki Versys KLZ 1000/ 2014 BMW F700GS

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2015, 10:31:01 am »
Ordered the SSS bash plate but ended up taking it to a workshop for modifications as it would not fit my 2008 model.

Ja, Matie had a good look at one the other day and tried to fit it - no way hose.

Maybe he can share his observations?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 09:50:58 am by Kykdaar »

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2015, 11:29:37 am »

LeCap

Can you post a pic of the change in design at the front mounts? ???

I had to weld the front mounts on the old design bash plate  last week. The LH mount broke completely off. :o

The first generation with the rigid front mounts sometimes develop vibration cracks around the mount. It's ok as long as you check occasionally (when servicing) and weld up the cracks if necessary.
The second generation has a two 4mm sheet tabs fitted through a slot in the main plate and welded on the outside. A piece of aluminium tube is welded onto the tab and contains a rubber bush. On the mounting hardware side you will need a longer bolt for the lower forward engine mounting and two spacer bushes to go into the rubber bush.

I can make a plan if you want to convert your plate from first to second generation. You will have to take the old forward mounting angles off, cut two slots with a jigsaw or 4mm end mill and weld in the new mounts. Please let me know if you want to do this, I am busy making some plates at the moment and can supply you with the necessary parts & instructions as well as the welding jig to correctly position the tabs.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2015, 02:09:12 pm »
Let us know when you have new bashplates available please.

Is it possible to raise the right wing somewhat to prevent a rock tearing off the oil filter cover as happened here?

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2015, 10:02:44 am »
Good grief what did you do ???

I mean I have to stop somewhere else the part gets too heavy, too expensive and you won't be able to service without taking the plate off.
The design goal is to protect the bike in an average spill, not if you throw it down a ravine :o

I can anyway do a custom build which wraps around the whole front & bottom of the engine if you want that.

It would be nice if you guys can give me a head count of how many still want bash plates. I will NOT make a whole stack for the shelf due to the high cost involved unless Suzuki SA get their back sides into gear, get a homologation and bring the bikes in again. But I  have to make at least two or three.

Offline Matie spero

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2015, 04:22:07 pm »

I mean I have to stop somewhere else the part gets too heavy, too expensive and you won't be able to service without taking the plate off.
The design goal is to protect the bike in an average spill, not if you throw it down a ravine :o

I can anyway do a custom build which wraps around the whole front & bottom of the engine if you want that.

It would be nice if you guys can give me a head count of how many still want bash plates. I will NOT make a whole stack for the shelf due to the high cost involved unless Suzuki SA get their back sides into gear, get a homologation and bring the bikes in again. But I  have to make at least two or three.

this was an small spill, not going more than 10 to 20 km/h.

hardly felt the bump....

also not down a ravine, up a erosion rut in swazi

see: http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=169594.0
I could agree with you! But then we both would be wrong.....

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!

Offline chopperpilot

• Forum Whore
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2015, 07:37:01 pm »

hardly felt the bump....

Reckless youngster! No respect for a DR! Should be on a Big Boy! Ha ha!

Offline Matie spero

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2015, 03:55:29 pm »

hardly felt the bump....

Reckless youngster! No respect for a DR! Should be on a Big Boy! Ha ha!

a DR is not made to be treated with respect!!!
The harsher you treat her the more fun she's to ride!!!!

A DR is like one of those librarian chick...

once the glasses comes off and the hair goes loose the weird (sometimes scary) kinky shit comes out!
I could agree with you! But then we both would be wrong.....

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!