Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Is the bmw 1200 GS ADVENTURE LC really worth it?  (Read 3931 times)

Offline Guido

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
Is the bmw 1200 GS ADVENTURE LC really worth it?
« on: May 31, 2015, 07:15:31 pm »
Greetings dogs,

I am playing with the idea of getting a new "bigger" adventure bike, specifically aimed at being able to do a bit more touring. I enjoy riding the dirt back roads, but would not go so far as to say I would use the bike on extremely technical stuff, that a lot of you do. I have in the past owned ktm's and bmw's, and both brands have their own pro's and con's. Obviously, these are the two brands I am interested in. I have booked test rides on the 1190 adventure/R, as well as the bmw 1200 gs/gsa LC. The only one I have not managed to book a test ride on is the ktm 1290. Ktm seems to be stepping up to the plate with regard to big adventure bikes, I had a 990 R for a couple of years, and to be quiet honest, it was probably the nicest bike I have ever ridden, off road especially, but on long trips, with friends(most of whom ride bmw's) I found it uncomfortable and tiring. That seems to have changed with the introduction of the 1190, and then some reports I have read, say the 1290 is leaps and bounds ahead of the bmw series. The pricing difference between the 1190 adventure/R is very little. However, between the standard LC and the adventure LC is huge, my question to all the bmw riders is, is it really worth it? Is it that much of a better bike on the dirt? You can pretty much buy the 1200 LC standard, and kit it out fully to your own spec, before you get to the price of the basic adventure LC. Dont get me wrong, it looks like a fantastic bike, and every review I have read is good. If your riding requirement changes from a Sunday ride with mates, to a 3 week trip loaded, is the adventure the way to go?

Offline Alpine Al

• You dont stop playin 'cause you get old, you get old 'cause you stop playin.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • If life throws you lemons reach for the tequila!!
Re: Is the bmw 1200 GS ADVENTURE LC really worth it?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 07:32:55 pm »
I did a lot of head scratching before buying the standard LC. The reason I moved from a GS to a GSA a few years ago was the better suspension ( lots of bottoming out when fully packed, two up). The suspension on the LC GSA and the LC GS have the same suspension, which is much better than the older models.. I realised that I always end up riding with guys with smaller tanks and have to stop when they do anyway. I could throw the GS around a bit more too. Will have to do a few trips to see if I have made the right choice.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 10:02:43 pm by Alpine Al »
Bike history : Honda 50cc, Yamaha 175 DT, Honda 200R, Honda XL 500, Yamaha YZ 465, Yamaha IT490 CURENT BIKES: Honda CRF 450R, GS 1200. PRESENT BIKES : KTM 525 Street legal,  and BMW GSA.

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window!!

Offline Sommer Ek

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 01:33:06 am »
Ek meet die verskil in hantering van die fiets voordat ek start en nadat ek af geskakel het. Sodra hy eers op die pad is en ons ry is daar nie veel verskille nie.

By die petrolpomp is daar 10kg, bo-op die bike, ekstra om van die sidestand af te lig. Maar beide se tenk raak leeg en met 5Lt in die GSA en 15Lt in die GS is die GSA nie noodwendig swaarder nie dalk net die sitplek wat bietjie hoŽr is. Die man met die GSA maak ook maar vol saam met die GS'e, so die groter tenk help net wanneer jy alleen op die trip is.

Ek hou van 'n Tankbag en die GSA se Tank is klaar so hoog dat die tankbag net in die pad gaan wees.

Die GSA lyk baie meer indrukwekkend.

Die windskerm van die GSA bied, indien wel, 'n bietjie meer beskerming aan die pillion maar beslis nie meer beskerming aan die ryer nie.  Lang manne kan dalk 'n verskil agterkom maar nie ek nie. Die gewone GS skerm is amper beter omdat dit jou visie op die pad beter maak.

Ek is meer as tevrede met gewone GS. Crashbars by Rockfox vir R3500, Footpegs vir ongeveer 'n R1000.00. Het nie spots nodig nie, as jy die LED ligte nie kan sien nie is jy blind.

Voorspoed met die keuse

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 06:32:51 am »
I think it is a very personal decision.   How do you measure the value of a bigger fuel tank?   To me,  it is worthless.   For someone else,  the bigger tank may well be worth R20k. 
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Tp007

• Pack Dog
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 09:04:11 am »
Alles wat almal hier gesÍ het is waar en ek stem saam. Meeste van my trips ry ek nog saam Harleys so dan maak ek maar elke tweede stop vol.

Die rede hoekom ek die GSA gevat het is, ja die groter tenk, maar ook dat al die bybehore op die GSA meer sou kos as jy dit deur BMW/Touratech sou kry en op standard GS sou sit, maar ook soos baie ook al bevestig het is dat jy nooit jou geld terug kry op bybehore die dag as jy verkoop nie.

Ek moet ook hier sÍ dat myne meeste van die tyd op teer spandeer as toerfiets. Yes, hy gaan meer van 'n handvol wees op grond, maar anders as die farkels is dit maar baie die selfde fiets.

Met verwysing na die verskil tussen die 1190 adventure/R, ek mak verkeerd wees maar verbeel my die adventure het nie elektroniese suspensie nie en daarom nie soveel duurder nie.

Edit: only saw you originally posted in the Queen's language. If you don't understand Afrikaans, please let me know and I will try translate for you. ;)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 09:07:00 am by Tp007 »

Offline T Rex

• Race Dog
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 01:47:39 pm »
Guido...

I started the GS type bikes in 2001 with a 2000 Dakar.

In 2008 I bought a 2006 GS. in 2012 I bought a New GSA but kept the GS and kitted it to primarily do dirt. The GSA was me and the Missus's Touring bike.

Late last year I decided to sell both the GS and the GSA and replace it with the LC GSA.

You can do everything with that GSA ....

Value ??? If you take into account that it comes with the pannier racks , chrash bars etc .... it is not really more expensive than the GS.

Go for it !! 

Offline Noneking

• Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 08:36:08 pm »
A couple of inaccuracies in some of the opinions given above. I rode the two options back to back before making my decision. Didn't look at the other brands as back-up might be a problem in the Lowveld.

- There is a very real difference in suspension, with the GSA having more suspension travel rear and front. It also has a slightly longer wheelbase
- The GSA doesn't have spots, but rather Auxiliary lights that goes a long way in lighting up the periphery and improving overall visibility.
- As already mentioned, the "extras" on the GSA makes up for the higher price tag. It would cost roughly the same to do aftermarket farkles on a GS.
- The larger tank is a big plus for me, not only long trips, but it means I can play around in the bundu' s around Nelspruit for a whole day without having to look for petrol.
- It is a full 22 kg heavier than the GS with full tank, but in my experience surprisingly nimble despite the weight.
- the GSA gives you a feeling of sitting on top of the bike (which I rather like...) compared to the GS
- Big difference between the windscreens, with the GSA winning hands down.
- My guess is that GSA also achieves better resale figures

I recently did a 5000km gravel and Off road trip through the country ( see RR here  :ricky: :ricky: http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=173216.0 ) and was overwhelmed with the performance of the GSA.
I can only comment on the comparison between GS/GSA as I have not ridden the latest offerings of the other brands. I can say that the BM looks a whole lot more solid than the KTM 1190/1290 which has a plastic look and feel and fugly instruments.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 08:38:00 pm by Noneking »

Offline nielvn

• Race Dog
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 09:11:31 pm »
A couple of inaccuracies in some of the opinions given above. I rode the two options back to back before making my decision. Didn't look at the other brands as back-up might be a problem in the Lowveld.

- There is a very real difference in suspension, with the GSA having more suspension travel rear and front. It also has a slightly longer wheelbase
- The GSA doesn't have spots, but rather Auxiliary lights that goes a long way in lighting up the periphery and improving overall visibility.
- As already mentioned, the "extras" on the GSA makes up for the higher price tag. It would cost roughly the same to do aftermarket farkles on a GS.
- The larger tank is a big plus for me, not only long trips, but it means I can play around in the bundu' s around Nelspruit for a whole day without having to look for petrol.
- It is a full 22 kg heavier than the GS with full tank, but in my experience surprisingly nimble despite the weight.
- the GSA gives you a feeling of sitting on top of the bike (which I rather like...) compared to the GS
- Big difference between the windscreens, with the GSA winning hands down.
- My guess is that GSA also achieves better resale figures

I recently did a 5000km gravel and Off road trip through the country ( see RR here  :ricky: :ricky: http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=173216.0 ) and was overwhelmed with the performance of the GSA.
I can only comment on the comparison between GS/GSA as I have not ridden the latest offerings of the other brands. I can say that the BM looks a whole lot more solid than the KTM 1190/1290 which has a plastic look and feel and fugly instruments.

Agreed, i went the same exceRcise last year, rode all the, all of them, for my need, which includes; commuting, some weekemd rides on tar and dirt and finally long distance touring, there is only one bike.

Ideally it would beter to have a GSA for long distance touring and a bike for only dirt ridding, sorty two bike is out of my league.

Offline Alpine Al

• You dont stop playin 'cause you get old, you get old 'cause you stop playin.
  • Race Dog
  • If life throws you lemons reach for the tequila!!
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 08:41:26 am »
I bow to your superior knowledge guys. Having tested them properly you would know better. I was lead to believe that the difference in the suspensions is negligable. I might go for the GSA if this one doesnt do the trick. Lucky we dont have to send money to our old bikes when we get a new one (like wives). They also dont get jealous when you test ride another one :ricky:
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 04:54:02 pm by Alpine Al »
Bike history : Honda 50cc, Yamaha 175 DT, Honda 200R, Honda XL 500, Yamaha YZ 465, Yamaha IT490 CURENT BIKES: Honda CRF 450R, GS 1200. PRESENT BIKES : KTM 525 Street legal,  and BMW GSA.

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window!!

Offline Charlie600

• Pack Dog
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 08:48:41 am »
I bow to your superior knowledge guys. Having tested them properly you would know better. I was lead to believe that the difference in the suspensions is negligable. I might go for the GSA if this one doesnt do the trick. Lucky we dont have to send money to our old bikes when we get a new one. They also dont get jealous when you test ride a new one :ricky:

After putting more than 7000km's on my LC GSA during the past 4 months the answer is a resounding yes...However, it becomes REALLY, REALLY worth it when you gooi in a quickshifter and Akrapovic pipe as well - best all-round motorcycle that I've ever owned!

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2015, 11:51:09 am »
 :ricky:
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 11:52:01 am by AMZ »
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline On The Move

• Pack Dog
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2015, 02:07:07 pm »
I went down the same path as Noneking and have to agree wholeheartedly with his findings. The GSA is the way to go. You can't go wrong if you are looking in that region. I am however selling mine on this forum due to other reasons. Contact me if you need any info.

Offline Copernicus

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • Crossroads in the dirt.
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2015, 10:45:16 pm »
Yes to your question.  For me. I cannot qualify my decicion.  I did it because I liked it more than the GS.  I cannot comment on the KTMs but will say that they are a bit wicked for me.  I enjoy quieter bikes with lots of torque at reasonable revs.  But then I will also prefer a Bentley to a Ferrari.  But then again I will take a Carrera above the Bentley any day.  There is no logic in it for me.  I buy what I like, not what is necessarily the best for me or my needs.  It is more important for me to like my bike, not being constantly rationalising about practicalities, economy or resale value.  The joy is what I get now and it is as much visual as it is an experience in locomotion.  I say buy what you like, not what is the best buy.  Show your passion and be a bit daring. If you have your heart in it, you cannot be wrong, whatever your choice.
I started biking as an under achiever and it went downhill from there...

Offline Guido

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2015, 03:59:37 am »
Thanks for the reply's everyone. I appreciate all the opinions shared. As I said I have booked a test ride on both, I think the best is to take it from there.Really Looking forward to it.

Offline Noneking

• Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2015, 08:03:12 am »
Yes to your question.  For me. I cannot qualify my decicion.  I did it because I liked it more than the GS.  I cannot comment on the KTMs but will say that they are a bit wicked for me.  I enjoy quieter bikes with lots of torque at reasonable revs.  But then I will also prefer a Bentley to a Ferrari.  But then again I will take a Carrera above the Bentley any day.  There is no logic in it for me.  I buy what I like, not what is necessarily the best for me or my needs.  It is more important for me to like my bike, not being constantly rationalising about practicalities, economy or resale value.  The joy is what I get now and it is as much visual as it is an experience in locomotion.  I say buy what you like, not what is the best buy.  Show your passion and be a bit daring. If you have your heart in it, you cannot be wrong, whatever your choice.

The voice of reason!!  :thumleft: :thumleft:

Actually my decision process as well  :ricky: :ricky: :ricky: :ricky:

Offline Lord Knormoer

• Knight Kevlar: Order of the Alu Pannier
  • Race Dog
  • Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2015, 02:57:14 pm »
Interesting points of view.

I ride the GS and do longer tours and more dirt than most GSA's. My GS is kitted in the same way as a GSA and then some.

I don't like the GSA seating position
I don't like the GSA screen
I don't like the bulky GSA tank

GSA suspension has a little more travel than my GS but then how does that compare when I weigh 90kg and another rider 120kg? I've only ever bottomed out my GS at 170km/h and that only happened once.

I still find it ironic that my GS mostly see dirt and I wouldn't change to a GSA. My brother owns the GSA and almost exclusively rides tar.

In the end, ride both and pick the one you want. It's different for everyone.

Offline Davew

• Pack Dog
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2015, 04:59:24 pm »
I've had both and based on your questions, the GSA is likely the better choice for you, mainly because I wanted the same.

I had the '13 GS LC and loved it. It was a superb bike to ride and of the pair, the sportier feeling one and could do everything I wanted. My only gripe was planning for fuel on tours. No a big deal, but a consideration.

My wife and I like to tour two up often and the extra fuel range and flexibility it brings is a nice to have, so when the opportunity arose to buy a GSA for myself for Christmas, i did it. The bike does ride differently, different front geometry and slightly longer wheel base. I like the ride, but sometimes miss the sharper turn in on the std GS when in mood.

Price wise, the difference is a whole lot less than you might think. Take the GS and spec it up with bars, luggage and spots, even aftermarket, and you'll spend the same money. Trust me, I've done it on more than one GS.

As others have said, the choice is personal, Noneking and Lord Knormoer make their own valid albeit slightly opposing views. My personal bias lies with the GSA.

PS on the fuel side on my 2010 GS, I flattened a tank of fuel in 200km on the N1 headed into a wind with luggage from CT, which made fuel stops a tricky affair. Maybe that's why I am in favour of riding a fuel bowser  :laughing4:

Offline COLES

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2015, 04:40:40 pm »

I have had the pleasure of owning a 2013 as well as a 2014 L C . Last Thursday I took delivery of my GSA 2015 bought from Donovan Klue in Cape Town.   
Due to some health problems i have only done about 100 km with the GSA WHAT A BIKE

Engine is so much quieter than the LC,gearbox is smooth no loud noise as you select first gear

overall very happy with my purchase

Offline BryanOC6

• I can like to ride Ja
  • Race Dog
  • Time to ride , I say a cammaahhhn
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2015, 05:23:58 am »
Love my GSA , commuting through Sandton traffic. Then weekends proper dirt riding . 2014 lc GSA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BMW GSA 1200 LC 2014
Yamaha WR250 2007
Yamaha SR500 1983 Bratstyle

Offline Jondu

• Race Dog
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2015, 03:49:39 pm »
I bow to your superior knowledge guys. Having tested them properly you would know better. I was lead to believe that the difference in the suspensions is negligable. I might go for the GSA if this one doesnt do the trick. Lucky we dont have to send money to our old bikes when we get a new one. They also dont get jealous when you test ride a new one :ricky:

After putting more than 7000km's on my LC GSA during the past 4 months the answer is a resounding yes...However, it becomes REALLY, REALLY worth it when you gooi in a quickshifter and Akrapovic pipe as well - best all-round motorcycle that I've ever owned!

I am just curious. Why the pipe....it is pure ignorance from my side. Is just the sound? I am in very much doubt if one can feel the power deference in the normal riding. If it is the sound, it is the sound, if you are willing to pay for that. Like mags on a car, you would not find my car without them, for no particular reason.