Is the bmw 1200 GS ADVENTURE LC really worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guido

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW (all models)
Greetings dogs,

I am playing with the idea of getting a new "bigger" adventure bike, specifically aimed at being able to do a bit more touring. I enjoy riding the dirt back roads, but would not go so far as to say I would use the bike on extremely technical stuff, that a lot of you do. I have in the past owned ktm's and bmw's, and both brands have their own pro's and con's. Obviously, these are the two brands I am interested in. I have booked test rides on the 1190 adventure/R, as well as the bmw 1200 gs/gsa LC. The only one I have not managed to book a test ride on is the ktm 1290. Ktm seems to be stepping up to the plate with regard to big adventure bikes, I had a 990 R for a couple of years, and to be quiet honest, it was probably the nicest bike I have ever ridden, off road especially, but on long trips, with friends(most of whom ride bmw's) I found it uncomfortable and tiring. That seems to have changed with the introduction of the 1190, and then some reports I have read, say the 1290 is leaps and bounds ahead of the bmw series. The pricing difference between the 1190 adventure/R is very little. However, between the standard LC and the adventure LC is huge, my question to all the bmw riders is, is it really worth it? Is it that much of a better bike on the dirt? You can pretty much buy the 1200 LC standard, and kit it out fully to your own spec, before you get to the price of the basic adventure LC. Dont get me wrong, it looks like a fantastic bike, and every review I have read is good. If your riding requirement changes from a Sunday ride with mates, to a 3 week trip loaded, is the adventure the way to go?