Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: DR 650 - no spark: SORTED thanks to StuartC  (Read 3488 times)

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zundapp (all models)
Re: DR 650 - no spark
« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2015, 09:23:20 pm »
Thanks man, some good suggestions there - going to give them a try quickly.

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
« Reply #61 on: June 03, 2015, 09:50:10 pm »
Remove a plug and earth it to engine then Unplug the primary wire and run a piece from the battery and pulse the coil like you would with morse code.if still see no spark get another coil

Yebo, was sparking nicely :thumleft:

Before I get too exited though, something doesnt make sense. I decided to repeat the volt pulse test to the primary plug. Now, it is a bitch to keep the test brobes on those two skinny lugs, but I could get no reading on the meters 20v setting. When I set it to 200 volts I got a reading of 58,4 volts?

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2015, 10:16:00 pm »
Remove a plug and earth it to engine then Unplug the primary wire and run a piece from the battery and pulse the coil like you would with morse code.if still see no spark get another coil

Before I get too exited though, something doesnt make sense. I decided to repeat the volt pulse test to the primary plug. Now, it is a bitch to keep the test brobes on those two skinny lugs, but I could get no reading on the meters 20v setting. When I set it to 200 volts I got a reading of 58,4 volts?

Think it is a matter of scale that I do not yet understand. When I set the meter to 200mV the resolution is the apparantly 100 uV. Testing that setting on the battery gives a reading of 12.7.

So I used that setting to re-do the voltage pulse setting test on the primary plug again. This time I got a
nice constant reading alternating between 29 and 22 if I crank the motor with the ignition on.

Anyways.....late now.

Will try again tomorrow. Thanks for all the help.

Offline spankme

« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2015, 07:24:16 am »

on the 20v range it should have given a 1 reading as the value is more than 20v start higher than what you are looking for and dont try and measure your secondary voltage with your meter or you could end up killing it

Offline spankme

« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2015, 07:35:10 am »
 get a new set of plug caps as its a total loss system.they both fire together so if the one cap is open cct both will be dead

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2015, 08:03:24 am »
get a new set of plug caps as its a total loss system.they both fire together so if the one cap is open cct both will be dead

Thanks, will order a new set of spark plug caps as mine clearly need replacement.

I have, however, had access to a spare coil with both plugs caps according to spec, as is the readings on the primary and secondary windings. I plugged it in - no spark.

So to summarize -

On the negative side -

1. I have a blown rectifier (gives no readings), but it seems the consensus view is that the bike does not need one to start.
2. I have one bum spark plug cap, and that means my whole ignition coil would malfunction as they fire together.

On the positive side -

1. I have a good CDI, power coming in is on spec and internal terminals resistance readings check out
2. The generator coil and the pick-up coil works as it should.
3. My spark plugs are still good according to the morse-code test ;D

So, having then used another spare ignition coil with proper spark plug caps and spark plugs (tested) - the reasonable expectation was that the bike would spark, but it did not.

It seems that there is a hidden gremlin still waiting to be found. 

Offline spankme

« Reply #66 on: June 04, 2015, 08:51:43 am »
sorry but think the CDI is then the problem.

The voltage its is sending to the coil is only confirming the pick up to CDI is good.

It is probably not generating correct frequency.it sends high freq pulses for each single trigger.you can see this with a scope but otherwise borrow one :'(

Offline spankme

« Reply #67 on: June 04, 2015, 09:09:04 am »
looking on the net most recon the stator causing your problem

Offline spankme

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
« Reply #69 on: June 04, 2015, 11:57:25 am »
sorry but think the CDI is then the problem.

The voltage its is sending to the coil is only confirming the pick up to CDI is good.

It is probably not generating correct frequency.it sends high freq pulses for each single trigger.you can see this with a scope but otherwise borrow one :'(

Not the CDI. Have borrowed one and no difference.

Offline spankme

« Reply #70 on: June 04, 2015, 12:53:55 pm »
then can only be stator

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
« Reply #71 on: June 04, 2015, 02:49:06 pm »
then can only be stator

Seems so. Is there any DIY tests that can be done with a Multi meter to confirm? 

I have already performed the below tests

Offline spankme

« Reply #72 on: June 04, 2015, 02:54:40 pm »
have you taken the cover off to see what it looks like.could be full of water :o

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
« Reply #73 on: June 04, 2015, 02:59:51 pm »
have you taken the cover off to see what it looks like.could be full of water :o

No not yet, will now go the full hog and take that off, as well as open up all the switches (ignition, kill-switch, etc). Was trying to avoid if not necessary due to having to order a new gasket from Suzuki and they not exactly the fastest with delivery times.

Thanks for all the help so far - really appreciate it :thumleft:

Offline spankme

« Reply #74 on: June 04, 2015, 03:02:21 pm »
make a gasket ::)

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
« Reply #75 on: June 04, 2015, 03:03:22 pm »

Ja, what do they call that stuff again - veloid or something?

Offline chopperpilot

• Afrikaans...Dis my taal! Engels...Dit verstaan ek ook!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • "Jack of all Trades... Master of Some."
« Reply #76 on: June 04, 2015, 03:42:12 pm »

Wil jy die engine casing aan die stator coil kant afhaal? ???
Current Bikes : KTM 990 R, KTM 500 XCW

End of an Era : Suzuki DR 650 SE, Husqvarna 610 TE

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
« Reply #77 on: June 04, 2015, 04:46:26 pm »

Wil jy die engine casing aan die stator coil kant afhaal? ???

As ek n visueele inspeksie van die stator moet maak om bv te sien of hy gebrand het. Hoekom, is dit n moeilike afere?

Offline chopperpilot

• Afrikaans...Dis my taal! Engels...Dit verstaan ek ook!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • "Jack of all Trades... Master of Some."
« Reply #78 on: June 04, 2015, 09:35:26 pm »
Ek het al een afgehaal om te kyk of daar 'n starter clutch in was, en nie 'n soliede rat nie.

Die fiets op die verkoper se gras neergele, boutjies los gemaak, met my hand die casing 'n goeie stamp gegee om die gasket se seel te breek en die casing af te haal. Dink die gear selector moes eers af! Ek was gelukkig dat die gasket nie seer gekry het nie, en ook nie olie na die tyd gelyk het nie.

Maak net seker die starter clutch se bushes aan weerskante in posisie is, voor jy die casing terug sit!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Current Bikes : KTM 990 R, KTM 500 XCW

End of an Era : Suzuki DR 650 SE, Husqvarna 610 TE

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
« Reply #79 on: June 05, 2015, 07:40:11 am »
Check ignition switch as well, it has a resistor in if that resistance is not measured then it wont start

So remembering this remark by Stuart, and after checking virtually everything else imaginable, I decided to have a look at this last night.

First problem is that Suzuki secured the ignition barrel from the bottom with tamper proof nuts to prevent easy removal - basically a torque head, but with a steel pin in the middle so that you cannot use the normal bits - probably need a special tool, but I will just drill it out later over the week-end.

So I turned my attention to the wiring leading into the ignition and after about 30 minutes managed to remove all the electrical tape exposing this.  
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 07:41:04 am by Kykdaar »