Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: DR 650 - no spark: SORTED thanks to StuartC  (Read 3368 times)

Offline StuartC

• Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
Re: DR 650 - no spark
« Reply #80 on: June 05, 2015, 07:49:15 am »
Julle mense moet vir die oom begin luister !!
Life is too short to ride a Honda

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zundapp (all models)
« Reply #81 on: June 05, 2015, 07:50:52 am »
F@#k knows why the wires are in this state, as I did not see any signs of splicing.

But the ignition gets power, the neutral light shows and all electrics work as normal - apart from the bike not starting of course.

So now, if I cannot (yet) get to the physical resistor, perhaps I can measure the resistance across the two wires that it is connected to (Orange/yellow and Black/White) and learn something from that?

According to the interwebs it is a 100 Ohm 1/4 watt 5% resistor. Don't really know what all that means or how to measure it, but I set the Multimeter to the 1 Ohm setting and measured the resistance across the wires using the exposed parts thereof already provided. In the 100 Ohm range the reading is 1.9 Ohm

I do not know how to interpret that reading - i.e. is the resistor still in place doing its job or is it shot? 

Offline StuartC

« Reply #82 on: June 05, 2015, 07:53:19 am »
100ohm 1/4 watt 5% resistor between the black/white- orange/white wires

Offline StuartC

« Reply #83 on: June 05, 2015, 07:55:41 am »
I have no idea with the testing, I would cut the two wires and solder a new resistor in line, I'll check at work to see if I have any left from when I removed my ignition switch

Offline StuartC

« Reply #84 on: June 05, 2015, 07:57:10 am »
Was each individual wire wrapped?

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
« Reply #85 on: June 05, 2015, 07:59:15 am »
So it seems that a few guys have had the same symptoms like me - the bike turning over, everything testing correctly but it would not start.

In some of those case it seems that it was due to this ignition resistor. Found this on Thumpertalk - http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/848399-need-some-help-no-spark-from-a-dr650/

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
« Reply #86 on: June 05, 2015, 08:02:33 am »
I have no idea with the testing, I would cut the two wires and solder a new resistor in line, I'll check at work to see if I have any left from when I removed my ignition switch

Thanks man :thumleft:

Was each individual wire wrapped?

Yes, in real shitty / sticky duct tape I may add - hence the half hour spent to remove it. 

Offline StuartC

« Reply #87 on: June 05, 2015, 08:04:06 am »
I hope this is the problem

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
« Reply #88 on: June 05, 2015, 08:17:54 am »

Yes, me too. Of course it helps that the Suzuki wiring diagram in the manual does not even show this resistor ::)

I have literally been over this bike with a fine toothcomb. I have checked and re-checked everything possible. I have even gone to extreme lengths to make sure that there is no remnant of the previous clutch and side stand switch circuitry which I removed some time ago that it playing up - for example, I did not just removed the side stand switch, I have now disabled the last part of that system, the side stand relay/ignition interlock assembly as well.

This whole thing feels like a small little problem off some kind and this may just fit the bill - I really hope so.

If this does not work then I will have to remove the stator and have it tested   

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #89 on: June 05, 2015, 08:32:51 am »

Yes, me too. Of course it helps that the Suzuki wiring diagram in the manual does not even show this resistor ::)

Well that would be like posting instructions how to hotwire and steal a DR650SE ne ???
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline StuartC

« Reply #90 on: June 05, 2015, 08:34:18 am »
I have the resistors for you give me a call after 9am 0845129533 the resistor is there as a anti theft device thats why it aint in the diagram

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
« Reply #91 on: June 05, 2015, 10:05:05 am »

Well that would be like posting instructions how to hotwire and steal a DR650SE ne ???

Perhaps, but I do not think the average bike thief is an expert in analysing complex wiring diagrams.

There are other ways of safeguarding a bike if you want to. Making it almost impossible for an owner to find out why his bike is not starting, I submit, is not one of them. 

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
« Reply #92 on: June 05, 2015, 10:05:59 am »
I have the resistors for you give me a call after 9am 0845129533 the resistor is there as a anti theft device thats why it aint in the diagram

Hi Stuart, thanks for the chat. Will come around this afternoon.

Offline spankme

« Reply #93 on: June 05, 2015, 10:36:07 am »
F@#k knows why the wires are in this state, as I did not see any signs of splicing.

But the ignition gets power, the neutral light shows and all electrics work as normal - apart from the bike not starting of course.

So now, if I cannot (yet) get to the physical resistor, perhaps I can measure the resistance across the two wires that it is connected to (Orange/yellow and Black/White) and learn something from that?

According to the interwebs it is a 100 Ohm 1/4 watt 5% resistor. Don't really know what all that means or how to measure it, but I set the Multimeter to the 1 Ohm setting and measured the resistance across the wires using the exposed parts thereof already provided. In the 100 Ohm range the reading is 1.9 Ohm

I do not know how to interpret that reading - i.e. is the resistor still in place doing its job or is it shot? 

you are on the 2000 range and reading about 1900 ohms or 1.9K

Offline spankme

« Reply #94 on: June 05, 2015, 10:38:11 am »
and you need to unplug the ignition wires to get a true reading

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
« Reply #95 on: June 05, 2015, 12:11:27 pm »
and you need to unplug the ignition wires to get a true reading

Thanks. So I must unplug the wires to the ignition and then I test whether there is any (high) resistance between the Orange/yellow and Black/wires to try and figure out if the resistor is functioning.

On what Ohm scale should I test and what would you expect a correct reading to be given that it is an 100 Ohm resistor between the two wires?

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Beware the 250 roost !
« Reply #96 on: June 05, 2015, 03:38:31 pm »
Damn Kykdaar I feel for your troubles, buying what one hopes is a rock solid dual sport bike only to be banished to the garage fiddling with wires and hoping for the best. At least it's too damn cold to ride right now  :biggrin:

You can buy a torq screw set at Midas for cheap, would not drill on the ignition as it may damage the screws.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 06:20:49 pm by sidetrack »
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
« Reply #97 on: June 05, 2015, 07:57:55 pm »
Damn Kykdaar I feel for your troubles, buying what one hopes is a rock solid dual sport bike only to be banished to the garage fiddling with wires and hoping for the best. At least it's too damn cold to ride right now  :biggrin:

You can buy a torq screw set at Midas for cheap, would not drill on the ignition as it may damage the screws.

Ja man, nothing with me is ever straight forward. Someone else and it would be a bum sparkplug, me and it is a mystery fault of note.

Funny thing is I have not lost faith in the bike. I will fix this and then will retrofit it so that everything is as simple and straighforward as possible.

Yes, a good time to spend in the garage weather wise ;D

Offline StuartC

« Reply #98 on: June 05, 2015, 08:09:38 pm »
That resistor should be in already

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
« Reply #99 on: June 05, 2015, 08:19:36 pm »
That resistor should be in already

Yes, just had to sort something out for the wife - heading to the garage now.

Hold thumbs :thumleft: