Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: DR 650 - no spark: SORTED thanks to StuartC  (Read 3541 times)

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zundapp (all models)
Re: DR 650 - no spark
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2015, 02:02:41 pm »
Swap them with Matie's bike ? Easiest way to find the culprit, should be quick on a DR.

Ja, that is what we are planning to do - swop out the coil and the regulator and check.

:laughing4: :laughing4:

Dit is f@Kken embarrising.

Daai DR van Matie het partykeer gesoek vir low-range soos hy my van n staande posisie moes sleep  :deal:

Een keer amper neergeslet toe ons koordinasie n bietjie uit was, maar alles deel van die lekker :thumleft:
Gewonder of Matie se DR vinniger is met daai 2 tappet-valley exhaust pype! :lol8:

Werk seker net op 'n V6!! :pot: :lol8: :snorting:

Sure Stuart's DR can be our designated DR tow truck! :thumleft:

Die ironie is dat ons n paar minute tevore verder af met die Delmas pad by n robot gestaan en vir mekaar geref het om te se die dice is aan. Het daar weggevlieg en full taps gejaag. Hy is so mid-range n paar meter voor my verby, maar kon nie verder onder my uittrek nie, so op top end (140km/h) is ons basies gelyk.

Ek dink natuurlik my DR is vinniger want ek is tweekeer sy size en die arme bike het dus n agterstand om mee te begin. 

Offline Matie spero

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2015, 02:14:45 pm »
my uncle jy fokus op die verkeerde goed in die lewe!!!!

mens byt mos nou nie die hand wat jou voer nie...  :pot:
jy se nie jou bike is beter as die bike wat jou huistoe gesleep het nie!!!  :pot:

Dis nie die hoe vining waarin ek belang stel nie, maar hoe ek by vining uitkom, en deedre trek HARD (jyt n redelike gap gehaad op die weg trek, maar ekt jou so vining verby gevat dat jy dit maar kon gehaad het  :imaposer:) maar nog nie reg nie....

houop kak soek.  :laughing4: ons kan finaal die speletjie speel eendag.... :ricky:

AS JY WEER EN BIKE HET WAT WERK!!!!!!  :imaposer:

I could agree with you! But then we both would be wrong.....

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!

Offline StuartC

• Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2015, 03:57:38 pm »
With all the work Matie has put in his bike I'm pretty sure it's way stronger than all our bikes
Life is too short to ride a Honda

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2015, 07:09:46 pm »
Check ignition switch as well, it has a resistor in if that resistance is not measured then it wont start

Hi Stuart,

Can you please expand on this a bit? Where is it located and how do I access and test it?

Offline chopperpilot

• Afrikaans...Dis my taal! Engels...Dit verstaan ek ook!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • "Jack of all Trades... Master of Some."
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2015, 07:33:52 pm »
Check ignition switch as well, it has a resistor in if that resistance is not measured then it wont start

Hi Stuart,

Can you please expand on this a bit? Where is it located and how do I access and test it?
Get on your DR Stuart, and go and assist Kykdaar!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Current Bikes : KTM 990 R, KTM 500 XCW

End of an Era : Suzuki DR 650 SE, Husqvarna 610 TE

Offline StuartC

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2015, 11:24:30 pm »

Hi Stuart,

Get on your DR Stuart, and go and assist Kykdaar!

I don't even like working on my own bike

Offline StuartC

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2015, 11:26:02 pm »

Hi Stuart,

It's actually located in the ignition switch, I removed my switch and had to put one in line in the wiring,, can't remember what wires though

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2015, 07:21:55 am »

Hi Stuart,

It's actually located in the ignition switch, I removed my switch and had to put one in line in the wiring,, can't remember what wires though

Cool, thanks a lot :thumleft:

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2015, 07:36:20 am »
So, the last few days have been a steep learning curve.

I am pretty good at mechanical stuff, but suck at electrical issues. But this is a DR and I am determined to get to know it inside and out and if that means having to learn something new along the way, then so be it.

First I had to try and understand how my digital multi meter work in measuring resistance and continuity - I normally only used it to measure voltage. Read the manual properly for the first time ;D

A lot of the parts I was going to have to test requires either resistance or continuity tests. An added complexity of the resistance testing was that one had to set the range within which to perform the test in order to get the right result - 1 Ohm, 1K Ohm, etc.

Now, one would have expected that information to be set out logically on the meter for the layman, but nooooo that would have been too easy I guess. 

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2015, 07:46:54 am »
With the bike not running, I could not perform certain tests such as charging rate or generator load performance, but I decided to test everything else that could be tested.

First up was the inspection of the generator coil continuity.

The manual talks about testing continuity across three lead wires, but then indicates the tester range to be set to 1 Ohm. Bit confusing, but I did as told and found a reading of 1,5 to 1,6 across all leads.

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2015, 07:51:33 am »
Next up was the rectifier.

First I checked the voltage of the incoming + and - wires and found 12.72 Volts, so the rectifier is being supplied with power.

Then I set the meter to the 1K Ohm range and tested across the terminals as indicated. Absolutely no reading whatsoever.

Verdict: the rectifier is toast

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2015, 08:00:57 am »
I was worried that the side stand switch might still allow the starter to turn the engine over, but stop the bike from firing. Previously I only checked the loop in the circuit that I made when removing the side stand switch, but this time I went further and also checked the side stand/ignition interlock relay.

When applying voltage to it you can audibly hear the relay click and on the 1 Ohm range I found continuity of 0.01 between terminals 1 and 2. Seems it is operating as it should be. 

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2015, 08:09:25 am »
So, according to the trouble shooting guide I checked the CDI couplers and then the battery voltage on the incoming orange/white and black/white wires with the ignition switched on. I did this and found a reading of 11.67V - lower than the expected battery output, but possibly due to the draw of the lights. The manual gives no indication of what specific value is to be expected.

Next up was the tests to eliminate a faulty pick up coil or a faulty power source from the list of possibilities.

The power source coil gave the expected reading of 0.1 Ohm and the resistance of the pick-up coil was within spec at 206 Ohm.

So with that eliminated the Trouble shooting guide fingers a possible faulty CDI or Ignition coil

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2015, 08:18:24 am »
First up was the CDI - here I did a large sample of the possible tests and on every occasion found the readings the same as, or within the range specified. My conclusion is that the CDI is fine.

Next up was the ignition coil - first up the primary ignition coil resistance measured at the wires leading to the ignition coil. Found a value of 0.01.

Then I measured the resistance over the secondary windings (spark plug cap to spark plug cap) and found a very high reading of 69 Ohm  compared to the 23-25 Ohm spec.

I think that I found my second culprit.

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2015, 08:26:34 am »
So the conclusion of the tests seems to indicate a rectifier that is totally toast and an ignition coil that looks suspect.

Here I must mention that I never previously suffered from a drained battery (which would indicate a charging problem) and that my bike always started at the first push of the starter button.

So I guess the questions I have is -

1. what can cause a rectifier to just pack up and die over the course of a few Km's? - this happened during our trip
2. can that result in consequential damage to the secondary windings of the ignition coil?
3. is the regulator an integral part of the starting circuitry of the bike? - e.g. will the bike not start without the rectifier connected as seems to be suggested by the diagram below.
4. I will still perform the test suggested by Stuart, but is there something else I should have tested?

Offline african dust

« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2015, 09:27:41 am »
I doubt it can be fixed but I will take the bike off you hands to save you misery... that is what friends are for... :thumleft: :pot:
bushlander
Ozark

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2015, 09:34:08 am »
I doubt it can be fixed but I will take the bike off you hands to save you misery... that is what friends are for... :thumleft: :pot:

Hahahaha - you a funny guy. I kill you last ;D

Guys that normally say this knows what the problem is so that they can buy cheap and fix easily  :patch: - so spit it out, what is wrong here?

Offline chopperpilot

• Afrikaans...Dis my taal! Engels...Dit verstaan ek ook!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • "Jack of all Trades... Master of Some."
DR 650 - no spark
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2015, 09:44:20 am »
We will now classify you as a "Master DR 650 Technician", or maybe even Professor!😄

You're doing well Kykdaar! Most of us would just drop it off at Runner's!😉

Must admit, half the fun of owning a DR, is to spend time maintaining, repairing and farkling it!😃

Current Bikes : KTM 990 R, KTM 500 XCW

End of an Era : Suzuki DR 650 SE, Husqvarna 610 TE

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2015, 10:06:34 am »
We will now classify you as a "Master DR 650 Technician", or maybe even Professor!😄

You're doing well Kykdaar! Most of us would just drop it off at Runner's!😉

Must admit, half the fun of owning a DR, is to spend time maintaining, repairing and farkling it!😃

;D yes, I spend most week-ends fiddling with my DR in some way (maintenance, farkling, beutifying, etc) as it calms the mind and relaxes me - it is something I really enjoy doing - I call it my "Zen-time"

This particular problem is just another reason to spend time on the bike and get to know it even better. I like to learn new stuff and would be chuffed if I can figure this one out. At least next time when I look under the seat or at the wiring I would know exactly what most connectors, relays, diode's, wires and associated hardware are about.

Tell you the truth, If I can't crack this one and end up taking it to Runner, he will have to be F@^&^%g good to find the cause ;D

Besides, I have to give it a try first as his workshop is overflowing since he started working on KTM's :biggrin: :pot: 

Offline african dust

« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2015, 10:23:10 am »

Hahahaha - you a funny guy. I kill you last ;D

Guys that normally say this knows what the problem is so that they can buy cheap and fix easily  :patch: - so spit it out, what is wrong here?

dude, I am less than clueless... I just like the DR bike you have.  :biggrin: and felt like adding a bit of levity to the topic.
Sorry for the hassles you are having, sure you will sort it out soon...   :thumleft:
bushlander
Ozark