DR 650 - no spark: SORTED thanks to StuartC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kykdaar

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Zundapp (all models)
Until today my bike started perfectly - one press of the starter motor and she purrs into life.

Whilst out on a ride today, I stopped at a shop. Starter swung over as per normal but bike would not start. After a few attempts it started like usual and ran perfectly - also as usual. About 10 km later when I stopped and switched her off, she refused to start and I had to suffer the indignation of a tow-in home ;D

Back home I started trouble shooting. Did not take long to rule fuel issues out - everything was working as it should. Turning my attention to spark I discovered that the spark plugs were not firing - whether I unscrewed the plugs, kept them in the cap and held them against the engine, or whether I stuck a screwdriver down the throat of the cap. Nada nothing.

Now to work out the reason - take my multimeter, the manual and start testing-

1. Test the continuity in the connection plug to the coil and between the two spark plugs - correct as per manual.
2. Test the generator coil continuity - correct as per manual
3. Test the power sorce coil and pick up coil - correct as per manual
4. Test the CDI unit - resistances beteen the terminals is as per manual.
5. Double check the sidestand and clutch cut out switch mods - still functioning correctly.
6. Check the kill-switch and ignition switch - functioning correctly.
7. Check the two 10A and the main 30A fuses - all intact.

Then I check the regulator - get no resistance readings whatsoever between the terminals. Look like it is toast.

But can that lead to no spark? Whilst troubleshooting I had the battery on charge with the result that the battery was fully charged and the starter motor was turning the engine over normally when I gave it a last try.

So I am stumped at the moment and will appreciate and input and help.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Ignition coil.jpg
    Ignition coil.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 200
  • Generator coil  - continuity.jpg
    Generator coil - continuity.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 181
  • CDI.jpg
    CDI.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 186
  • Clutch cutt out.jpg