Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Help with spotlights  (Read 3179 times)

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
Re: Help with spotlights
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2015, 07:26:07 pm »
Any solution yet where to connect a 12V supply for switching a relay on/off from ignition for spot lights? Currently connected through relay to battery with handlebar switch, but would prefer the option of having the spots on only when ignition is on and off when ignition off. Tried the halo plug but seems that its always 12V with ignition off.

No its not. Give it some time when you test it. The Hella plug will give 12V  for 60 seconds after ignition turned off, then only shut down.

Offline OomD

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • #imstayingpositive
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2015, 09:25:03 pm »
I don't know about the older GS'es, but the LC (mine, at least) certainly does not turn off the hella plug. Even though the manual states that it is turned off 15 minutes after ignition, mine stayed on, almost draining the battery due to the usb charger I had plugged in.

Offline OomD

• #imstayingpositive
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2015, 09:32:46 pm »
What you need is a clever non-intrusive way to:
  • Dim your spots automatically at night, so as not to blind oncoming traffic but still be visible
  • Switch them on fully when you turn your brights on
  • Dim them slightly on the side where your indicator is flashing (or even flash together with the indicator)
  • Switch them off a few seconds after ignition switches off
  • ... and much more, without tapping into existing switch or light wires, and without installing additional switches on your handlebar
... soon, this power will be in your hands  ...

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2015, 11:05:29 pm »
I don't know about the older GS'es, but the LC (mine, at least) certainly does not turn off the hella plug. Even though the manual states that it is turned off 15 minutes after ignition, mine stayed on, almost draining the battery due to the usb charger I had plugged in.

Ok, the previous GS model did turn off after 60 seconds.

Sorry then  :biggrin:  :thumleft:

Offline OomD

• #imstayingpositive
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2015, 06:25:06 am »

Ok, the previous GS model did turn off after 60 seconds.

Sorry then  :biggrin:  :thumleft:
It could off course be that something is wrong with mine. Comments from other LC riders?

Offline Antois

« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2015, 01:47:33 pm »
Tested mine and switch off after approximately 1 minute, will connect relay coil to this supply

Offline StephanT

• Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2015, 05:50:34 pm »
@Draadwerk: what R1200GS model do you have?  What you are looking for has already been developed... works with ANY LED lights and only needs to plug into your CAN-bus, and connect to your battery and then you connect your lights to it...

Additionally it has another output for ignition (power other Auxiliary devices) as well as another output for Aux brake lights (very popular in the USA and Europe, and I'm suspecting will become more-and-more popular as people see the Dynamic brake lights that BMW is introducing in 2016

Some more info:
 - simply plug in your LED lights... using a USB cable and utility you can configure them
   - brightness in DIM in day time
   - brightness in Bright in day time
   - brightness in DIM in night time
   - brightness in Bright in night time
 then you have additional (optional) functions like
   - strobing them when your horn is active 
   - strobing them when you hit flash-to-pass 3 times in quick succession
   - flashing them alternatively when your warning indicators are on
   - automatically switching the corresponding LED light off on the side that the turn signal is active

And a lot more... ;)

here's a vid I made earlier this year to send to our US & European Distribs:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/9qliHBOLW-Q" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/9qliHBOLW-Q</a>

best
Stephan

Offline OomD

• #imstayingpositive
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2015, 06:01:31 pm »
Oh, you mean like this, Stephan?

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/sFCmL0YbXc8" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/sFCmL0YbXc8</a>

*note: SmartSwitch has been improved since the making of this vid, it now supports 6 outputs and 2 additional inputs.

Almost available...

Offline Antois

« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2015, 10:01:19 am »
Connected my spotlights relay coil to the positive supply of the hella plug and its working fine.

Offline Black_Hawk

• BackroadRiderZA
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com
    • My Towns A to Z
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2015, 02:11:06 pm »
Ek het die anderdag 'n ou ontmoet wat ook die 3600lm spotlights op sy fiets het. Hy het 'n handlebar switch om dit aan en af te skakel asook 'n verstelbare skakelaar (reostaat) wat hy kan draai om die ligte helderder en dowwer te stel. EK het ook eers die 3600lm spotlights op my fiets gehad, maar hulle was te sterk om in die nag mee te ry en het water ingekry. EK het nou die 1200lm ligte op en hulle werk 100% vir my.
Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com

2010 F650GS (Sold), 2009 BMW F800GS, 2002 BMW F650GS (Sold), 1982 Honda XR200R, 1983 Honda XL600R

Offline NeelsK

• Bike: BMW (all models)
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2015, 01:20:19 pm »
Skene design has a very nifty solution that does NOT use the can bus.  BUT ..... it wont work on something like the new BMW LCs where the signal from the switches is sent through a digital bus. 

Take a look anyway ... might work for you:  http://www.lights.skenedesign.com/IQ_175.shtml

Ran one on one of my old bikes and it was great.
~~~
R1200GS Adv (2011) - X : F800GS (2010) - X : R1200GS LC (2013) - X : F700GS (2014) - X : RnineT (2014) : R1200GSA (2012)

Offline OomD

• #imstayingpositive
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2015, 11:15:48 am »