Wupperthal trip (or Autumn rush)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MellowJo

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
So what to do when the first autumn rains fall in the Western Cape? Organise a trip around the Cederberg !!

On Saterday morning 19 April, Joyride, Johnnie, Thys and myself got together in Durbanville and set out for Bainâ??s Kloof Pass via Wellington. Visibility in the pass was down to 10 metres at stages.
1Bainskloof.jpg

We then popped over Michell's pass and we stopped for a good breakfast in Ceres, while it was pouring outside. Once the rain stopped, we visited the local 'Agri Co-op' and some dogs were fitted with yellow oilskins for the rest of the trip.
Oilskins.jpg

From Ceres we went up Gydo Pass, past Op-die-berg and into the heavy showers as we hit the gravel of the Buffelshoek and Middelberg passes on our way to Citrusdal. It was raining too hard to get the camera out for pics!

From Citrusdal we stayed on the Eastern side of the Olifants River and travelled North to Clanwilliam all on damp gravel, so no dust.
2Olifants.jpg

In Clanwilliam we met up with Christo and Tiaan who joined us as we continued to the Buffelshoek dam. By this time the rain was gone and we pitched our tents for the night. Kobus opened the bar for us and we could see the Stormers beat the Canes.
3Morning.jpg

Next morning we continued North to Klawer where we had breakfast. From Klawer we turned South along the Olifants River. We turned East at Nardouwsberg and past the Bushmens Cave until we got to the R364. On this road we saw a bunch of KTMs, but they were on trailers !!. (see KTM Bushmans Cave Weekend ).

After a few kâ??s on the R364 we turned right towards Wupperthal. The road takes you down the spectacular Uitkyk pass and then over the Kleinhoog pass.
4Uitkyk.jpg

Wupperthal is a small oasis, nestled in the folds of the rocky Cederberg.
5Wupperthal.jpg

Climbing out of the Wupperthal hole we rode towards Eselbank  and Matjiesrivier on a 4x4 track, great fun.
4x4.jpg

6Matjiesrivier.jpg

We had lunch at the Cederberg Oasis and then continued over the Grootrivierhoogte pass back to Op-die-berg. We ran down the R303, Gydo Pass to Ceres where we filled up for the run home.

Thanks to all the guys who organised the trip and the accommodation

Ps. After the trip I had a chat to my brother. He then told me that he and his father-in-law did the trip 6 months ago on Vespas !!!