KLR650 - Cape Town to Nairobi

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eek07

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Allright, after all the wilddog help, hospitality, and generosity I've encountered so far I decided I owe you guys a trip report. I'll be updating it step by step, since I've got quite some adventures to catch up to, and I have to type everything on my phone. Let's start with the plan: I'm driving my KLR650 I bought in Cape Town up to Nairobi. The planned itinerary is: Namibia, botswana, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Malawi, Zambia, Tanzania and finally Kenya where I hope to sell the motorbike in Nairobi.

The first part: nice and easy

I bought the motorcycle from Justin, a very kind fellow in Cape Town.
9b8fce5207429f148eb2829c0f5ee4ac.jpg

The bike was already outfitted with crash bars, a bash plate, modified hand guards and heavy duty tubes. This made it already quite ready for my trip. I had it checked out by Mike, an cool German mechanic. And he promised to service it further if I brought it in next week.
Me and a couple of friends were going to afrikaburn that week so I decided this would be a nice occasion to take the bike for a test drive. My friends would take my luggage and I would drive the bike up and meet them there. It was nice getting to know the feel of the bike. First on the tar, and later a piece of gravel on the R355. Having to get used to the vibrations and kinda having misjudged the top speed of the bike I didn't make as much headway on the tar as I had calculated. So by the time I drove the last part of the R355 it was already getting dark. A good lesson, but also beautiful to arrive at the burn with dark and seeing the little lights sprawled out over the playa. We had a blast at the burn and on the way back I skipped the tunnel and a large part of the N1 and drove back through the Ceres mountain range along the R44. What a scenic dive, I sure do love the mountains!
Back in Cape Town Mike serviced the bike, and even let me stay at his place for a couple of nights. He also convinced me to pay a visit to Namibia (a thing I am now very grateful for!) and gave me more tips based on his Africa traveling experience.
b9c39991bd4bbec6b4e107664bf19a9e.jpg

With good spirits I left Cape Town and was on my way to jo'burg. My girlfriend would fly over to jo'burg airport to come and visit, and I actually had to push it a bit to get there in time. So the following two days were just tar-eating, driving 1400 k's along the N1. I made it in time and the following day we set out to explore the drakensberg area and Lesotho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk