Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 1980's SA MX  (Read 3504 times)

Offline Whethefakawe

Re: 1980's SA MX
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2015, 11:17:18 pm »
Few more general shots, this is the return at the end of the start straight

Of all the tracks, I remember Brickor the fondest, for some reason....rode and raced there many times. The oke who ran it was named Des as I recall, very nice man, I pitched up there a time or two in the middle of the week when he was working on the track and it was officially closed...when I told him I'd driven all the way from Florida, he smiled and let me ride as long as I wanted....the track was also run in both directions at different times, only track I've ever seen that....when it went anti-clockwise there was a metre or so high kicker jump that, if you hit it hard enough, would land you into the bowl....quite a thrill....I'm going to draw a diagram of the track as I remember it, maybe some of you Edenvale boykies could refresh my memory  ;D Edenvale in those days was MX central in the Transvaal....probably 2/3 of the top riders lived there, not sure why? Maybe because of Brickor across the road?

Next batch is Syringa, some nice shots

« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 11:25:45 pm by Whethefakawe »
You been using dogsh*t for toothpaste, Mullet?

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2015, 11:38:12 pm »
This is fantastic stuff whethefakawe  :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

Cant wait for the next post.

With your permission when (and if) this thread eventually dies down I would like to move it to a role of honour place at the top of the Racing section.
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Whethefakawe

« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2015, 11:54:04 pm »
The next lot were taken in 1982 at Syringa .....maybe not the National, but Syringa 1982 definitely. I obviously had a better camera this time, can't remember which....wasn't mine, I know that  ;D

Start of 125 senior race, Marc Smith closest to the camera

Start of the 250's

The 2nd 125 junior heat that day was designated an inter-school "shootout"...so many of the riders wore their schools' rugby jerseys, this was Grant McLeery as I recall

Wayne Smith in the same race

Various 125 junior shots....Charlie Bezuidenhout was no.4 and Grant McLeery no.3, Wayne Smith no.2

Offline Whethefakawe

« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2015, 12:21:27 am »
From looking at the bike numbers....seems they raced all the MX classes together this day, which means that it was definitely not a National....in this shot I can pick out Gavin Murphy (yet another bike squad duwis  ;D) no.88, Marc Smith (same, in 1983) no.92, Greg Wilson no.514, and Rex Staten out front on no.563

This oke was Jan van der Veen, seems I remember he was Dutch...name gives it away, on KTM 495

I think this was Gary Bergstrom

Maybe Robert Campbell....pretty sure

Staten, ? and Gary Petersen on the Honda

Some 500 Enduro action...start, Shane Thomas on a Montessa 500 leading....another army connection, also extremely nice oke....skinny as a rail but one of the top 3 on any day

Shane (895) and Gary Keyser (801) had a good battle this day, forget who won...think it was Shane. These were taken on two consecutive laps

Shane Thomas

I understand Shane's older brother Blaize has been back in Zim for years, as a missionary...I remember seeing him at the races without his shirt....had some serious scars on his upper body, from the bushwar,  I think it was Shane who told me. I wonder where Shane is....maybe back in Zim too?

Offline Whethefakawe

« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2015, 12:35:21 am »
This little blonde kid always provided top-level entertainment at any race in 1983....Colin Dugmore....his battles with Rob Herring were EPIC....in 1982 he was still in 100 juniors while Herring had moved up to 125 jr....seems I recall they raced in 100's (or maybe minis?) in 1981 when I first strated aending MX races, then they were split up and together again in 1983 in 125 jr....only thing I'm sure of, I saw many phenomenal races between those two kids...this was 1982 so Colin in 100 jr class. no.200

Not sure who these KX riders were..... :dontknow:

Computer getting stupid again....more later

Offline Whethefakawe

« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2015, 12:40:32 am »
This is fantastic stuff whethefakawe  :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

Cant wait for the next post.

With your permission when (and if) this thread eventually dies down I would like to move it to a role of honour place at the top of the Racing section.

It would be churlish of me to refuse.....besides, I don't have a say anyways, do I?  :lol8:  I'd love to see other peoples' photos too, may jog my memory on chronology.....I'm having a hard time remembering which year was which....the programmes I have help though.

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2015, 12:43:30 am »
:thumleft:

I learnt to ride later in life so did not appreciate things like this.
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline DR BIG 750

« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2015, 05:28:52 am »
Racing vmx today will show the guys the pics very good..
twin shox, twin drum air cooled

Offline gser

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Gelukkig nog nie hard GeSloeg nie
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2015, 07:37:45 am »
Racing vmx today will show the guys the pics very good..

DR, take some pics pls, I cant be there.
It looks like the weather is good today.
Lekker!

Offline BLK

« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2015, 08:23:02 am »
Fantastic collection,thks

Those were the good old days

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2015, 08:29:45 am »
Please keep them coming  :thumleft:

I used to live just across the highway from Brickor.

I used to practice during the week by just riding my bike there after school.  If we weren't racing then practice on Saturdays was really busy!

The only problem was my dog who loved to chase bikes getting out and finding me.  Getting her to go home was a real headache because she would be having so much fun chasing the bikes around the track.  She was an incredibly fit dog and could run for hours.

Remember Des well!

That Camel Trophy series with all the international riders was awesome!  Harry Everts was my hero, one of the smoothest riders I've ever seen.  When I first saw him practicing at Brickor he didnt look that fast, because he was riding on his own and it was all so smooth it didn't look very spectacular, but then when other guys went out to join him you realised just how fast he was gong!

Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2015, 08:51:54 am »
I think I might have found myself in one of your shots O0

I might be the guy with the red helmet just beyond No 2 at the back there  :biggrin:
Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2015, 09:19:34 am »
I had a KTM 495 identical to what Stevenson, van der Veen and van der Merwe is racing in these photo's, and these gents must have been awesomely strong to race that thing!!

Great to watch your photos, and check out all surrounding that time, cars, clothing, etc......... :imaposer:

Thank you for posting this.

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreaminí ....
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2015, 05:51:44 pm »
Interview with Rex Staton in Racer X a while ago, he earned some good money over here !

At that point, your American career was starting to fizzle, but you went on to race for a long time and earned some good money, right?

Yeah. In 1981 I got a deal in Australia to race there. Then, in 1982, I went to South Africa and raced there from 1982 through the 1985 season.

How was the money back then?

It was good, but nothing like it is today. In 1974, when I rode for Honda, I made $75,000. Back then, that was good money, as you could buy a house for $20K. I always made a few bucks, but did real good when I raced in South Africa. I had a contract for $150,000 per year plus win money that paid me $3,000 per win. By that time I was getting up there in age, so that was good money for me. But back then, there were times that I rode three classes a dayóand thatís when the motos were forty minutes! But when youíre in good shape, itís no big deal.

You raced all over the world during a time when the world was not as open as it is today. What are some of your favorite memories?

Man, I learned a lot, stuff like driving on the wrong side of the road and the metric system. In Africa, I would leave from my house down into the bush and ride. But Iíve seen it all, especially over there. The face shield, the makeup, all that stuff. Those people over there, they donít take any shit. Also, all the bikes over in South Africa ran alcohol because of a fuel shortage. It took some serious work to get them to run right! Racing in Holland was very cool as well, as was pretty much all the European races.
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2015, 08:54:37 pm »
I used to live next door to Brikor, in Harmeli x2. Then later moved to Boksburg. Was still a short ride to the track though...  :ricky:

Brilliant memories, thanks dude!  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline DR BIG 750

« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2015, 07:44:19 am »
the guy who ran Brickor was Des Reid, i remember him signing restricted licence, you had a qualify for your national licence 4 signatures I think. AA used to control the motorsport. You right about the big 500 2 smokes they were very woes.. some pics of yesterdays heros from  yesterday...

Offline DR BIG 750

« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2015, 07:51:57 am »
 me on a 78 RM 250 Syringa vmx

Offline DR BIG 750

« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2015, 08:26:24 am »
Some more Brickor 81 ish and syringa yesterday

Offline DR BIG 750

« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2015, 08:28:11 am »
77 PE 250 B and 76 Maico mc 250

Offline Whethefakawe

« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2015, 05:46:12 am »
Is your name William or Chris by any chance??