Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Urgent - Aluminium welder needed in Opuwo, Northern Namibia  (Read 1608 times)

Offline Groenie

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Ons gaan nou ry
Eek07 is stuck in Opuwo with broken exhaust. Does anybody know of someone in that area that can help him? You can contact me 083625 2327
Don't look back, that's not where you're going.

Offline GRAVELTRAVEL

Re: Urgent - Aluminium welder needed in Opuwo, Northern Namibia
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 11:59:11 am »
Please contact me on +264811412390. I know some people in the area that might be able to assist. Alternatively mail me on martin@dormac.net
 I have tried calling you but only voicemail.
Cheers

Martin

Offline Groenie

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Ons gaan nou ry
Re: Re: Urgent - Aluminium welder needed in Opuwo, Northern Namibia
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 12:00:18 pm »
Will get your info to him asap. My phone just died...

Offline GRAVELTRAVEL

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 12:24:51 pm »
Okay, spoke to him and gave him some options. At best it will only be a temporary repair with the facilities available. Taking into account where he still wants to go I suggested he returns to Walvisbay where I can assist him properly. The next best place on his route is Tsumeb with a lot of hard riding in between. It is as you know terrible to enjoy a ride if you are thinking of bits & pieces falling off at any time. I understand he wants to take the river track between Epupa and Ruacana. If you break down there it will be extremely difficult to get proper assistance and get the bike going again.

I have offered him assistance and accommodation here in Walvis if he chooses to take that option and then continue with his trip perhaps along a different route.

Let me know if I can help in any other way.

Offline Groenie

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Ons gaan nou ry
Re:
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 12:30:02 pm »
This is what I love about WD's! 30 minutes and someone in the bundus is helped. Awesome and thanx

Offline GRAVELTRAVEL

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 10:11:21 am »
Just to put you in the picture. He arrived in Walvisbay yesterday and after a few beers and a meal , I stripped off the exhaust
and took it apart. On the engine side the flange welded to the perforated pipe broke off. Welded it on again and reassembled everything in good order. He is good to go!

The only aluminium part was in fact the outside skin of the can which did not need any welding. The guys in Opuwo actually did an ok job by basically tying everything up with wire. held together just fine to get him here.

He is off this morning to do the tourist thing out in the bay with a catamaran to watch the seals and dolphins. Will see him again tonight after work and discuss his route further on. We will also do the braai thing as he has not done this yet. Only heard about it so far!

Very pleasant chap and does not seem to be scared of anything. Was quite gobsmacked to learn that he only got his bike licence shortly before starting this trip! Maybe it is better this way as he then does not know enough to be scared!

Offline Sprocketbek

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 11:01:51 am »
Good on you for helping him out so nicely  :thumleft:
Enjoyed his RR that he has written so far, he has seen some places in RSA that I have not.
And had some interesting experiences too!  ::)
KTM 990 Adv
KTM 640 Adv

Offline Dirty Boy

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Son, thats not how I showed you......
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 12:12:30 pm »
Graveltravel, what can I say, you are a gentleman and a hero..   :thumleft:

Offline Groenie

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Ons gaan nou ry
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 12:54:57 pm »
I have to apologise for not arranging a braai when he stayed at my place. We just ran out of time with everything we had to do on his bike. Not to mention everything David had to learn.....

Quite a brave dude doing what he's doing with the amount of experience, knowledge or planning.

Offline Man from Nam

• Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 09:54:39 pm »
Well done Gravel Travel  :thumleft:
Life is great LIVE IT!!

Offline weskus

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Vrek gewerk!!
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2015, 10:24:39 am »
Well done Gravel, great to have this WD assistance in neighbouring countries as well :thumleft:
Vorige scooters : Suzuki TS 185, Honda CD 200, Suzuki PE 250, Kawasaki Z650, Yamaha 495 IT, Kawasaki KLX 300, BMW F 650 GS Dakar, BMW F 800 GS, KDX200, KTM300, Suzuki GSXR1000, Honda CD200, tans KTM 990 Adv - toer,  KTM 300 XCW- funrides, KTM 1290 Superduke teerpad en Buff toe & Honda CX500 Custom - bar toe..

Offline GRAVELTRAVEL

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2015, 12:03:00 pm »
Ok, he is packed up and ready to go. At this point still going via Epupa and then on to the Caprivi Strip. Introduced him to the braai experience and talked all sorts of rubbish until late at night over a bottle of wine.

My wife packed him some biltong for the road. he even bought himself a "potjie" and photographed some recipes out of the potjie cook book. Seems like he is getting into the Africa thing properly now. Also sorted him with a fleece blanket as he complained about the cold at night while camping.

He promised to update his RR but if I hear any more from him I will post it in the mean time.

Hats off to a very brave lad with an adventure spirit that would put most of us locals in the shade