Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 1st Namibian Sidecar (almost complete)  (Read 5594 times)

Offline GRAVELTRAVEL

1st Namibian Sidecar (almost complete)
« on: June 21, 2015, 05:41:04 pm »
I started a new topic more than 1 year ago about my idea to build my own sidecar. Sadly , I have not posted the progress of this project due to all sorts of reasons. However , to the great surprise of my family and a few other people, myself included, the project is now almost completed.

As mentioned previously , the design is based on some ideas from the net , some of my own and the R80G/S suspension that I used.

In a lot of cases , I had to scrap and start again when my "design" did not work out. In any event , I started with the frame and the  suspension attachment.

Once that was completed , I had to fabricate a sub frame that bolts to the bike and then get the frame attached to that. This was probably the most difficult part and had to be re done 3 or four times before it worked.

Once I got the attachments completed I had to figure out what the tub will look like. I eventually decided to go for a stainless steel frame with aluminium covering. The only remaining body part outstanding is the mudguard

It actually worked out ok. I am still trying to figure out a paint scheme of some kind. Perhaps leave the stainless parts unpainted and the aluminium the same colour as the pigs tank.

I hope to finally attach the rig within the next month or two by the latest. Then I still need to figure out how to ride/drive this thing!

Offline GRAVELTRAVEL

Re: 1st Namibian Sidecar (almost complete)
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 05:42:55 pm »
some more pics

Offline Crab

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 06:10:55 pm »
That looks really nice.
Once you start to ride it you will quickly learn that to take a left hand corner you brake before the corner and then accelerate through the corner, but with a right hander you come in fast and grab a handfull of front brake as you go through the corner. This is to take advantage of the mass of the sidecar in corners. Periodically check your spokes as the lateral cornering forces are not what those wheels were designed for and spokes can work loose with hard riding. I see some people fit a pressed steel rim to the rear with a car tyre fitted.
Look for a shooting star and see Lynda's trail and remember all the great places you shared with her,she will never forget what she shared with you and will show you that in every starry night .

Online woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 06:19:25 pm »
Handige man. Well done  :thumleft:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Vis Arend

• It's not how fast you start, it's how long you endure.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 07:14:27 pm »
Well done.   :thumleft:  :thumleft:

Once the rig is ready the riding will come naturally.  Maybe a mishap here and there.   :eek7:   :biggrin: 

We just got back from a Nam trip a few weeks ago.  See the rr here. 

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=174260.0

No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the the couch
Honda XL125  -  Sold,    Honda XR200R  -  Sold,     Yamaha TT500  -  Sold,     Honda Transalp700  -  Sold,       Yamaha S10 Fast Blue  -  Sold,   Yamaha S10 Slow White  -  Sold,   Honda CRF250 Rally..

Offline MegaPix

• Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
    • Kobus Schoeman Photography
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 07:08:55 pm »
 :sip:
Kobus Schoeman
www.mega-pix.co.za/blog
www.ksphoto.co.za
Bryanston, Sandton 
Bike:  First ever - Big Boy 200  XTG, KLR 650, latest buy... Suzuki DL650 V Strom

Offline Mev Vis Arend

• Bike: Honda CRF-250L
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 07:07:39 am »
 :thumleft:
Honda XR250 - Given to daughter.  BMW 1200 GSA met Karretjie  -  Suzuki 125 Scoota with a KTM topbox - sold.  Honda CRF 250 L

Offline DirtRebell

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 07:28:51 am »
Hats off and well done!

A question - seem the rear bracket is in line with you left peg, maybe the pic shows a funny angle but how is your position for you left foot working out?

Offline GRAVELTRAVEL

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 09:58:07 am »
 It does look a bit odd I admit. It was one of those " design" or "ergonomic" errors which I did not notice until it was too late. Fortunately there is enough room to get the toe of my boot under the gear lever. Have not ridden it yet but in a stationary position it seems to be working ok.

I still need to fit the brake pedal for the sidecar wheel just adjacent to the left footpeg

Something like the attached pic

Offline HB 9

• Bike: BMW R1100GS
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 10:03:29 am »
 :sip:  :thumleft:
Tread lightly

Offline Crab

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2015, 02:34:21 pm »
So your sidecar will brake independently of the bikes brakes? That is very neat!
Look for a shooting star and see Lynda's trail and remember all the great places you shared with her,she will never forget what she shared with you and will show you that in every starry night .

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2015, 03:01:21 pm »
Daai hond lyk reg vir inklim en ry!! :thumleft:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline GRAVELTRAVEL

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2015, 05:13:38 pm »
Yep! From what I have read on the net it is better to have an independent brake as it helps with the turning. In this case especially to the left. and to the right using the bike's rear brake.Almost like the turning brakes on a tractor. Cant wait to try it out.

Offline Humfree

• Forum Vendor
  • Bike: Ural (all models)
  • GS Adventure Sidecar...
    • Sidecar Africa
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2015, 08:26:56 am »
Hi Graveltravel, welcome to the dark art of sidecarring and well done with all the work you have put in. Don't worry about the riding but just take it slow in the beginning. If you want a riding manual please send me a pm and I can mail it to you no problem and FOC.

Be extremely careful of having the sidecar brake separate from the motorcycle brakes - on paper this looks like a good idea but in reality I have found it extremely dangerous as it gives too much response and if you ended up in an emergency braking situation it is virtually impossible to stop the rig under control and you will most certainly pull or push the one brake harder than the other and end up veering either left or right...

The throttle and throttle control is ample help for cornering and you do not need a separate brake lever for the sidecar but rather a brake operated together, either with the front or back brakes from the motorcycle. Ideally the sidecar brake mechanism should be able to be adjusted independently to allow for the rig to stop in a straight line...

Good luck with the final stage of your project and if you need any help or advice feel free to contact me and I can share all I know...     
Life is lived forwards but best understood backwards...

Offline GRAVELTRAVEL

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2015, 09:58:59 am »
Thanks for the assistance! I am currently finalizing the mudguard and the seat. After that it will be painting etc. One thing I have not sorted yet is the rear wheel on the bike. Ideally I would want a suitable tyre that I can fit straight on the existing GS rim but I doubt if that is available. alternatively I would want a plan on how to fit a suitable car rim and tyre onto the rear. Any suggestions??

Offline GRAVELTRAVEL

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2015, 11:28:09 am »
In terms of connecting the brake on the side car to one of the brakes on the bike. the bike has hydraulic operated brakes and the sidecar a mechanical one. Any suggestions on how I can tie the two together?

Offline Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • WAT KYK JY
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2015, 12:58:38 pm »
Thanks for the assistance! I am currently finalizing the mudguard and the seat. After that it will be painting etc. One thing I have not sorted yet is the rear wheel on the bike. Ideally I would want a suitable tyre that I can fit straight on the existing GS rim but I doubt if that is available. alternatively I would want a plan on how to fit a suitable car rim and tyre onto the rear. Any suggestions??

Chat to Vis Arend. he had it done on his 1200GSA.
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

…, I wish I could own them all, and until I can afford to own them all at once, I will own them one at a time... 

Offline Vis Arend

• It's not how fast you start, it's how long you endure.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2015, 01:30:35 pm »

In terms of connecting the brake on the side car to one of the brakes on the bike. the bike has hydraulic operated brakes and the sidecar a mechanical one. Any suggestions on how I can tie the two together?

Talk to Peter Teague.  He is an engineer based in KZN.  He did the conversions on our rigs.  He will be able to give you sound advice on both topics.  You can tell him I, Louis, refered you to him.  (He is not a WD, but very helpfull)
07two 63six 575four.   :thumleft:
No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the the couch
Honda XL125  -  Sold,    Honda XR200R  -  Sold,     Yamaha TT500  -  Sold,     Honda Transalp700  -  Sold,       Yamaha S10 Fast Blue  -  Sold,   Yamaha S10 Slow White  -  Sold,   Honda CRF250 Rally..

Offline Humfree

• Forum Vendor
  • Bike: Ural (all models)
  • GS Adventure Sidecar...
    • Sidecar Africa
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2015, 03:13:46 pm »

That is a bit of a problem if the brake on the sidecar is not hydraulic. To try and marry the two is virtually impossible as you need a lot of travel on your brake pedal for the mechanical one and less for the hydraulic one. To change the sidecar brake to hydraulic is not impossible but will be costly as you need to change the wheel for one with a disc, probably the axle and then make fittings to accommodate the caliper etc etc ... there is always a lot more to doing something simple than one expects.

Maybe the two brake option but be careful...
Life is lived forwards but best understood backwards...

Offline Black_Hawk

• BackroadRiderZA
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com
    • My Towns A to Z
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2015, 03:20:14 pm »
Looking good... can't wait to see the end result  :thumleft:
Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com

2010 F650GS (Sold), 2009 BMW F800GS, 2002 BMW F650GS (Sold), 1982 Honda XR 200R