Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 1st Namibian Sidecar (almost complete)  (Read 5900 times)

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

Re: 1st Namibian Sidecar (almost complete)
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2015, 03:23:12 pm »
 :peepwall:

Offline GRAVELTRAVEL

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2015, 03:11:57 pm »
Ok , I am back again.
 It has been slow going but at least I have managed to get an independent brake going on the sidecar. Took a bit of "kopkrap" and a few  stops n starts but it seems to work.

I have also completed the mudguard. That was not easy as I do not have access to an "English Wheel' as demonstrated by Fabman , neither do I have his kind of skills. I eventually took an aluminium profile and "lobsterbacked" it. It still needs some final sanding and then painting.

the frame and 'tub' are all complete. I started the painting and hope to have everything finally assembled by the weekend.

Then it will be ready for its maiden run. As per previous advice , I will take it painfully slow at first and hope to get it right for a trip to Solitaire at the beginning of September.

Will take some photos and post it soon.

Offline HB 9

• Bike: BMW R1100GS
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2015, 03:27:26 pm »
 :thumleft:   :sip:
Tread lightly

Offline eberhard

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Time takes a cigarette...
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2015, 04:14:54 pm »
Baie netjies wat jy doen. Baie interessant ook. Hou ons op hoogte.  :thumleft:
eberhard
Agostini 1000
R90S
R80/7
R75/5 Big Boy 150 Vuka 110

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2015, 04:25:52 pm »
Ek hou ook die dop.. :peepwall:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Vis Arend

• It's not how fast you start, it's how long you endure.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2015, 07:30:36 pm »
Ok , I am back again.
 It has been slow going but at least I have managed to get an independent brake going on the sidecar. Took a bit of "kopkrap" and a few  stops n starts but it seems to work.

I have also completed the mudguard. That was not easy as I do not have access to an "English Wheel' as demonstrated by Fabman , neither do I have his kind of skills. I eventually took an aluminium profile and "lobsterbacked" it. It still needs some final sanding and then painting.

the frame and 'tub' are all complete. I started the painting and hope to have everything finally assembled by the weekend.

Then it will be ready for its maiden run. As per previous advice , I will take it painfully slow at first and hope to get it right for a trip to Solitaire at the beginning of September.
Will take some photos and post it soon.

Can't wait to see this one.   :thumleft:

We enjoyed the Nam gravel tremendously with the rig.    :deal:
No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the the couch
Honda XL125  -  Sold,    Honda XR200R  -  Sold,     Yamaha TT500  -  Sold,     Honda Transalp700  -  Sold,       Yamaha S10 Fast Blue  -  Sold,   Yamaha S10 Slow White  -  Sold,   Honda CRF250 Rally - To be Sold, XR650L..

Offline Salty

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Never dare an idiot!
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2015, 04:53:14 pm »
So GT, ready for Solitaire next week?

Offline GRAVELTRAVEL

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2015, 12:10:57 am »
I will try my best to join. At present I am still busy assembling the sidecar after final touches and painting. I still need to fabricate the final bits and pieces to make the sidecar brake work. Completed the shaft running from the wheel side to a position next to my left footpeg.

Completed the brake pedal and painted it and will finally adjust and attach as soon as I have completed the mechanism from the wheel hub to the wheel end of the shaft. When I got the R80 suspension and wheel it was minus the whole brake mechanism so this has to be laboriously fabricated which is a bit of a schlep but has to be done.

I am trying to complete everything by the weekend and finally attach it to the bike. Problem is that I have never even ridden a bike/sidecar rig so would need at least a day to ride it around the town to get familiar with a totally different style of riding before attempting the road to Sesriem! Probably not the best way of doing this but sometimes you have to take the opportunity as it comes. Will also still have to see if I can complete some urgent stuff at work in order to take the few days off.

The next worry is also if the whole fabrication will hold together and not fall off in bits and pieces along the way! Everything was "designed"(if you can call it that) from ideas of what other people did in the past with my own flavour thrown in the mix. Also , no non destructive testing was done on any of my welds yet and there might be some unknown stresses and strains  in the structure which I have no clue about. Anyway will have to wait and see.

At least Road Hog said he will join me on the trip which will give some peace of mind.

For the benefit of the rest of the community , Salty and myself used to be in the SAN together and the last time I saw him was probably about 15 years ago when the term DS bike was not even in existence!. This get together should be of epic proportions! Really looking forward to it!

Will shortly post some pics of the partially completed rig

Offline Vis Arend

• It's not how fast you start, it's how long you endure.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2015, 04:24:01 am »
Good luck.   :thumleft:

Thye best way to learn is to hit the road.  When I got mine we had to return home with the rig, a distance of 600km.  Part of that was on the busy N2.   :eek7:
No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the the couch
Honda XL125  -  Sold,    Honda XR200R  -  Sold,     Yamaha TT500  -  Sold,     Honda Transalp700  -  Sold,       Yamaha S10 Fast Blue  -  Sold,   Yamaha S10 Slow White  -  Sold,   Honda CRF250 Rally - To be Sold, XR650L..

Offline Laban

• Bike: Zero (all models)
  • "Ride my own Ride"
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2015, 06:13:48 am »

…best of luck to you GT…now for the lean-to and the toe-in…enjoy… :thumleft:
..."sometimes the people around you won't understand your journey, they don't need to, it's not for them"...Joubert Botha

...tie my own bootlaces…

Offline Salty

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Never dare an idiot!
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2015, 11:09:07 am »
Hi GT, hope you can make it, and with the side car! Sterkte, leaving for Namaqualand later today and on north. Ping you on the weekend.

I have rum!

Offline Humfree

• Forum Vendor
  • Bike: Ural (all models)
  • GS Adventure Sidecar...
    • Sidecar Africa
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2015, 08:38:02 am »
Pictures picture pictures..... :sip:
Life is lived forwards but best understood backwards...

Offline westfrogger

« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2015, 09:47:05 am »
I like Namibia and I like sidecars, so ... er ... subscribe.  :thumleft:

Offline GRAVELTRAVEL

« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2015, 10:45:40 am »
Ok, I think it is clear that I will not get this project completed by Sunday. all sorts of issues at work to sort out. (even on a Saturday). Busy with a large project where all sorts of things can pop up at no notice and cannot wait until I had my fun!

So Salty, it looks like I am not going to make it to Sesriem unfortunately. Perhaps I can twist your arm to make your way to Walvisbay? I have asked before but will accept if the answer is negative.

In any event herewith some pictures of the preparation and painting of all the bits and pieces. Unfortunately taken with a cell phone so please excuse the quality. Will flash up the GO Pro later and get some decent pics taken.

As mentioned before , 99% of the framework as well as the frame of the tub was made in Stainless 316L. This is one of the hazards of Walvisbay that even the gold fillings in your teeth will corrode if you are not careful!

I decided to paint the supporting framework to hopefully match the bike's frame and to paint the aluminium panelling with something close to the colour of the bikes tank. It turns out that this is a fairly complicated process to match the colour and type exactly. As this project is a bit of a prototype , everything is not exactly show room condition. I therefore decided that the paint will be a matt finish which will hopefully hide some of my mistakes and reworks.

The external stainless framework of the tub will be left completely unpainted which first of all should not corrode and second give a bit of contrast otherwise the whole picture would have looked really dull and boring.

Offline GRAVELTRAVEL

« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2015, 10:51:37 am »
Start with an etch primer

Offline GRAVELTRAVEL

« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2015, 10:52:43 am »
Struggling to post the pictures!!

Offline NoRush

« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2015, 11:19:30 am »
Well done, looks great. Following your build.  :thumleft:

Offline GRAVELTRAVEL

« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2015, 06:37:57 pm »
Lets try again with the pictures. I have managed to assemble almost everything today. All that remains now is the luggage rack and then to fit it to the bike.

Offline GRAVELTRAVEL

« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2015, 06:39:35 pm »
And some more

Offline GRAVELTRAVEL

« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2015, 06:41:28 pm »
These were taken earlier today after I completed the assembly