Loose frame on KTM 640 - Anyone had this before?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kobus Myburgh

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 640 Adventure
After the last ride with the 640 the whole bike felt as if it was going to break in half with the centre of the bike 'pivoting'.

Over the weekend I stripped it down to the frame and was astounded to find that the entire frame at the top was no longer attached.  Has this happened to anyone before?

I also question the following:  I had my fork seals done end of last year with a reputable dealer and after the first ride found that one of the bolts on the triple clamps are missing!  Then I had my carburettor worked on at the same dealer to replace an o-ring and now that I stripped the bike to the bone (well, sort of) I can just imagine that the carburettor is removed a lot easier if the frame is loosened at this exact position.  I am no mechanic, but can my theory be correct that these guys just don't know how to tighten a bolt?

If so, I would like to share this experience with the dealer's guys (without getting nasty) to avoid this happening to someone else, which is bloody dangerous.

Attachments

• IMG_1001.JPG
    IMG_1001.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG_1002.JPG
    IMG_1002.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 346
  • IMG_1003.JPG
    IMG_1003.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 366
  • IMG_1008.JPG
    IMG_1008.JPG