Can a WD fix a KLR?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirty Des

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Hi All the KLR WD's, can anyone suggest how to sort out this request from a Ulysses Joburg North member of which I'm part of.....

Here is his request:-

"Hi Guys,
I am on a mission to help someone in dire straits again!!!

I have an acquaintance who I met on the inaugural ride for Ulysses Cape Town a few years back.
He has since tried to find work in JHB, however being pale and male and almost 60, to no avail, he has basically lost everything.
He has an old Kawasaki KLR650 which is his only form of transport, and will not start, he has asked me to store it as the people he is living with have sold the house. He has nowhere to live and nowhere to store the bike. I have offered to fetch the bike in Benoni, and store it at my place until he gets on his feet. He is probably going to stay with the Salvation army for the time being.

Anyway I know there are some good bike mechanics out there, who I am sure would be able to get the bike running. I am prepared to pay for the necessary parts, but I do not have the know how to fix the bike. He tells me that the shims in the valves need doing as it will not start when it is cold, but in warmer conditions it will eventually start and then run. I am not sure if his assessment is correct, but if you have any knowledge on this then please let me know.

So, the question is, is there any kind soul out there that would volunteer their time and knowledge to get this bike running for him? It would mean a great deal for Graham as when I spoke to him yesterday, he sounded like a broken man.

Thanks to you fantastic people for the help in the previous projects we have undertaken to help people in need- your charity and kind heartedness is truly humbling!!!
Very best regards,
Steve

Steve de Villiers
Rides Convenor
Ulysses Joburg North
083 250 2233"