Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: transalp or dakar ?  (Read 1161 times)

Offline NHB

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
transalp or dakar ?
« on: July 01, 2015, 08:20:06 am »
hey guys could use some advice please,
going for one of these two bikes to start out on.
at present I'm checking out a 2008 transalp.
thanks
NHB

Offline 0012

• Double-oh-Tkwarf
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Race the rain. Ride the wind. Chase the sunset.
Re: transalp or dakar ?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 08:28:11 am »
Depends on your needs.
Dakar is more fuel efficient and more offroad oriented, and lighter.
Both relatively easy to service the basic stuff. Both will do amazing mileage.
The V-twin alp is smooth and makes a sweet sound, and is one of the most comfortable seats.

I personally feel the alp is priced cheaply for all the value you are getting.
->    TransAlp 650 - sold
:(    Yamaha XT1200Z - written off - R.I.P.

Offline iamgigglz

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • The Hula hoop is Dead. Long live the Hula hoop.
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 09:02:17 am »
Ride them both and see which one you prefer.

Aside from that 0012's observations are accurate. The 'Alp is the softer, heavier, smoother, more comfortable ride and arguably a bit more flickable through traffic with its 19" front wheel.

Depends what you want from the bike.

My 2c on the Transalp:
The cat must go - it's terribly positioned and it makes the bike sound sweet with the stock exhaust. No cat + loud pipe = VERY noisy.
You're going to want an aftermarket screen. The stock screen is less than useless.
Ask about the front forks - my seals went after 35,000km. Progressive springs are a highly recommended upgrade.
The gearing is fairly short. 130kph is about as fast as you can comfortably go for long periods of time. -2 teeth on the rear sprocket and you're laughing. +1 at the front is a bit too long.
Double check the service history and get the bike checked if you can - the air filter is a ball-ache to get to and there are stories of lazier mechs skipping it.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 09:04:38 am by iamgigglz »
Bensien - Wife came home today with a Samsung 3D LED TV and 3D Blue Ray player with built in wi-fi and 1TB hard drive. What else do I need?
Kaboef - A cheaper wife.

Offline Uberutang

• Bike: BMW F800GS
  • 2014 BMW F800GS
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 10:34:29 am »
basically all that iamgigglz said :)

Nearing 45 000 km on my 2008 alp now. had to replace chain and both sprockets (pity I did not see his post before then) and one set of tyres so far.

Honda airfilter for it is a mission to find, but you can always hit ebay for alternatives.

Really 'easy' bike to ride. Linear and predictable in every gear. I  commute on mine every day and so far no hassles.

Good post to read: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596577

Cheers

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 10:45:05 am »
both have their pros and cons

it all depends on the price, mileage and condition on the bikes you are looking at

Offline PietSkiet

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 02:29:11 pm »
Not that I am a biking expert at all, but I can share my decision making process when I bough my first bike which is a Dakkie. This is not to say the Dakkie is better or worse than the Transalp, but which one (or even what different bike) suits what you want out of biking more.

What was important to me when I bought my first bike:

- Low maintenance, I don't know much about bike mechanics so I wanted one that needs little maintenance and is as reliable as the Top Gear Hilux bakkie. Press a happy button and it starts, service once a year and that's it

- I wanted to go (almost) anywhere my friends went, and them being Dwerg, Bazinga, GeVarlik, Swart Gevaar, Bud500, Carrotz, Cocky etc etc it meant it had to be off-road capable

- The bike had to be easy to ride and comfortable so that it did not scare too much whilst learning and wont kill me on longer trips

- When I eventually find my biking niche, and it is not the first bike I bought, I want to be able to sell it and make as small a loss as possible

- And lastly, what helped me make my final decision, it had to cause a stirring in my loins, it had to speak to my soul and not just be functional

So the bikes I considered, but did not end up taking were:

- Yamaha 660 Tenere: By far my favorite, in all ways! but at least R15-20k more expensive and not something I want to learn on, damage etc (in my mind always my second bike)
- Kawasaki KLR: By far the most bike for its buck, easiest to learn off-roading on, cheapest to fix plus when you do put the bike down it does not break the bank. But... It looks like a vulture mated with a lawnmower and lost 2 wheels.
- Transalp & V-strom: In my mind very similar to the Dakkie but not as off-road capable and not as pretty, it just looks like a slightly bigger Pharmacy bike or a slightly more dual sport road bike, no grrrrr feeling when I saw it
- KTM 690: Everyone said this is the best one to buy, except Dwerg... And he owns and loves the bike! I also loved it, but he knew what I wanted out of the bike and he knew the 690 was not it. It is like buying a Ferrari after you played Playstation Grand Tourismo a bunch of times... You are out of your league and it will bite you in the bum at some point, crawl before you walk. It's much more expensive plus its' luggage capacity and longer distance driving does not compare (unless you spend some bucks and change the bike from what it's meat for)

At the end of the day I looked at the Dakkie and though, it is affordable second hand, keeps its value well, is non threatening, reliable, comfortable and capable for what I wanted it to do but... MOST importantly, and even though EVERYONE I spoke too except for Dwerg, gave me shite about the 7.2kw generator/lawnmower etc etc, when I looked at it, I felt a stirring in my loins, a chest out chin up feeling  :ricky: and I knew...

So my advice is.
1. Buy it for what you are going to use it 80% of the time for, and be honest, I would also like to go wild rugged terrain exploring every weekend, go on looooong adventure trips, but the truth is, I go to the pub, I ride a few dirt roads now and then and go on the odd short trip when I can.
2. Ignore everyone's opinion when making that final decision, all these bikes are great!
3. Buy a bike that gives you a grin, a semi and a grrrrr chest out chin up feeling

« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 03:40:03 pm by PietSkiet »