An 11 hr Overberg 'Ompad' and a little bit of Helshoogte exploration: Lotsopics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eisbein

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
So I heard that Rooipoot was going to ride up to George and then ride back with Trailrider  and LetsgoFishing to show them a little about what the Overberg have to offer.

Being in the Baviaans just the weekend before, with the Robertson CHildren's home ride coming up and with the petrol price being what it is I couldn't stretch the budget all the way to George and back on this one.

The plan for them was to overnight in Witsand and then go over the pontoon at Malgas, so I thought it would be the best thing to meet up with them at Malgas

I set out at 06:30 and arrived at about 8:30 at Buffeljags to refeul, get something to eat and be on my way for the last 30 odd k's to 'Die Pont'.

Being this time of year it was still dark for most of the ride to Buffeljags, but I tried my hand at some beautiful mountain scenery close to the tunnel's entrance:

dark.jpg

I'm still getting to grips with this shutter speed thing...

*groan*

Moving right along...

I arrived a little early (as planned) at Malgas and took the time checking out the scenery and setting up a photo or two.

1Malgas1.jpg

I swear I'm the only one that can make a big GS look small...
:(

1malgas2.jpg

Then I heard the familiar thumping sound of LGF's DRZ coming over the hills.

1malgas3.jpg

With TR and Rooipoot just after:

1malgas4.jpg

We did the usual 'greetings' and 'how was the ride up to now' banter and then we were off.
I didn't take too many photos of the pontoon - I'll leave that to Trailrider to comment on in his ride report.

We took a couple of back roads that would eventually get us to Stormsvlei and Riviersonderend:

LGF cicking some dust:

2rso1.jpg

The 200's doing the same:
2rso2.jpg

I tell you, dry and brown as it is at the moment, the Overberg area still have much to offer in terms of views and scenery.

We eventually made our way to Stormsvlei.
Look at this - yip - its a mall!
;D ;D ;D

2rso3.jpg

Just after Stormsvlei's bridge we turned left onto a road that runs parallel to the N2 but much higher.

Beautiful scenery all over again.
We didn't go far when we saw this house on the side of the road.

We just had to stop.

Bear with me and the photos of the GS. I'm not trying to showit off.
I just love the bike.
;D

2rso4.jpg

The other 800 cc's that was with:
2rso5.jpg

Again Sauerkraut from another angle. Somehow I loved the (relatively) modern sleek lines of the GS compared to the rugged and totally worn textures of the old house.
2rso6.jpg

Stillife: 'n Bouval, 'n Rooi Vark en 'n Varkkneukel:
;D ;D
selfportrait.jpg

Rooipoot inside.
This is one of the coolest '60plussers' that I know.
2rso7.jpg

LGF just after putting the pipe away.
While sitting there in the shade of that tree we could also not help but wonder what it has
seen. The lifes and times when this broken and ruin of a house was still a home to someone.
2rso8.jpg