Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: My auxilliary tank project  (Read 1536 times)

Offline Straatkat

My auxilliary tank project
« on: July 06, 2015, 09:02:37 pm »
One of my gripes about my 610 has been the small tank, 12L that gives around 200km depending on how you ride...and it almost had me in trouble a couple of times. I tried all sorts of plans to carry some extra fuel, but was never quite satisfied with the Heath Robinson plans that sprout from that.
SOOO, I got thinking and came up with a side tank idea. As the idea grew, it got more and more complicated, but I wanted it to adhere to a few parameters, it had to hold at least 8L, it had to be easily removeable, it had to be strong enough to handle the odd spill, and it had to be simple to get the fuel into the main tank, no electrical pumps and the like.
This is what I built. It is made of 3mm Aluminium plate which was tig welded, has 2 mounting points so taking it off is as simple as taking 2 bolts out.
I added some luggage rails so one can strap stuff to it, as well as a mounting point for my Giant Loop Coyote bag. The rear brake caliper will contact the tank, so I made a cut-out to accommodate that as well. The mountings are rubber, so the tank is vibration proofed to an extent.
To transfer fuel, I have a pipe that goes from the petcock into the tank, and I replace the filling cap with a plastic one that has a tubeless valve in the breather, so I carry a small bicycle pump and pressurise the tank which transfers the fuel into the main tank in no time.
Works a treat!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 09:14:01 pm by Straatkat »
18 till I die.
If hard work pays, show me rich donkey.

Offline StuartC

• Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
Re: My auxiliary tank project
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 09:05:03 pm »
nice
Life is too short to ride a Honda

Offline Rough Rider

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Hang time
Re: My auxilliary tank project
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 09:05:50 am »
Nicely done
Current rides: 2015 WR250F / 2016 690R / 2017 701SM

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 10:05:04 am »
Very nice indeed.

small hijack - Could you let me have the details of your welder, I will be looking at a custom tank for a project bike?

Cheers!!

CT
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 07:19:34 pm »
I use a old guy that has been welding for all his life, he knows his way around ally tig welding and has a fancy tig welder to boot.
Him and his sons run a factory that makes ally tanks for big rigs, they are across from the licencing dept in Krugersdorp. I forget the name of the company, normally just pitch there. You will have to do all of the work, he only welds.
18 till I die.

Offline NoRush

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 07:41:06 pm »
Very nice, and well put together  :thumleft:

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 08:14:27 pm »
Nice job and I am sure very satisfying. Another option that I have used very successfully is the Nomad tanks from OZ. Flying Brick is starting to bring them in. What is also nice about them is that you can change many of them from bike to bike. I plumbed mine in with three way connector as bike is FI. On my HP2 I have my aux tank connected to the breather at the filler and it self syphons.

http://www.nomadtanks.com.au

Pic of Nomad tank on my Husky.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline pietas

• Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Gryskop seuntjie
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 09:47:42 pm »
Dis 'n mooi stukkie werk daai
Groot berge en lang grond paaie

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 10:14:29 pm »
Thanks guys, I enjoyed making it. On a recent Swaziland trip with Mark Taylor, a guy on a 690 hit me from behind while I was stationary, hit my Husky on the tank and put quite a considerable dent in the back panel. He had long range tanks on and destroyed the left hand tank, I went flying off the bike, picked it up, inspected the damage and it was only the dent in the tank, no other damage, so it is quite strong!
I was afraid with such an impact the subframe might be bent, but I took some measurements and everything seems straight.
My next project is to build a headlight cluster that can take a decent LED light, and maybe a small screen to hide behind on longer trips.

18 till I die.

Offline BOER!

• is 'n GS neersletterende
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • What's Updog?
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2015, 01:56:57 pm »
Would you mind if I asked you very nicely to send me a PDF version of the tank Panels.

I can cut them myself, but will also have to send it in to get welded.

Thanking you in advance and great anticipation.

:thumleft:
My hart kom affie plaas, Waar die Wind en die Son en die Stilte my speelmaats was.

Everybody falls off. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2015, 06:28:04 pm »
Boer
I used CAD to do the tank (cardboard aided design) so unfortunately no pdf available. It was a prototype situation so no plans or drawings were made, I just cut everything out of cardboard and stuck the panels together with tape and modified untill it fitted into the space available. I was dying to know what the volume was so I put a bag inside the tank and started filling it with measured amounts of water, but the bag had a small hole in and soaked the cardboard so I had to make a new cardboard tank. By the way the finished tank does 8 liters.
You are welcome to measure my tank and draw it up for lazer cutting.
18 till I die.