My auxilliary tank project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Straatkat

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 SE
One of my gripes about my 610 has been the small tank, 12L that gives around 200km depending on how you ride...and it almost had me in trouble a couple of times. I tried all sorts of plans to carry some extra fuel, but was never quite satisfied with the Heath Robinson plans that sprout from that.
SOOO, I got thinking and came up with a side tank idea. As the idea grew, it got more and more complicated, but I wanted it to adhere to a few parameters, it had to hold at least 8L, it had to be easily removeable, it had to be strong enough to handle the odd spill, and it had to be simple to get the fuel into the main tank, no electrical pumps and the like.
This is what I built. It is made of 3mm Aluminium plate which was tig welded, has 2 mounting points so taking it off is as simple as taking 2 bolts out.
I added some luggage rails so one can strap stuff to it, as well as a mounting point for my Giant Loop Coyote bag. The rear brake caliper will contact the tank, so I made a cut-out to accommodate that as well. The mountings are rubber, so the tank is vibration proofed to an extent.
To transfer fuel, I have a pipe that goes from the petcock into the tank, and I replace the filling cap with a plastic one that has a tubeless valve in the breather, so I carry a small bicycle pump and pressurise the tank which transfers the fuel into the main tank in no time.
Works a treat!

Attachments

• Husky tank 001.jpg
    Husky tank 001.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 274
  • Husky tank 002.jpg
    Husky tank 002.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 292
  • Husky tank 003.jpg
    Husky tank 003.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 281
  • Husky tank 004.jpg