1290 SA impressions and feedback

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emperor zog

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 790 Adventure R
Hi Dogs, thought I would share my first month on a 1290 SA and at the same time compare it to the 1190 R which I rode for 23K, and despite all the hassles it gave me, never stopped loving it for a minute…what a bike…without doubt the best hardcore adventurer out there. So why then change you may ask. Well life is short and time is hurrying on so having read so so much about the 1290 over the months, just had to try it. In an ideal world I wish I could have kept the 1190 R but the only way I could get the 1290 was to trade my 1190 in. Do I regret that? Absolutely totally. Do I regret getting the 1290? Absolutely not. But I digress….First things: do I find the 1290 big and intimidating? Not at all. I'm not a big guy, 5'10, 80 kg, but sitting on the 1290 I immediately feel comfortable and at ease, and that just gets better as you ride off. In some ways the 1190 R with its taller stance is more of a challenge. The first thing I notice on the first ride is that I miss the lightness and agility of the front end of the 1190 R. But hey this is not an 1190 I remind myself and its built for different things. This bike is so planted, so solid, feels so safe and secure on the road. I have now done over 2000kms on the bike, 600kms off road, but that I'll get to. What always hits you every time you ride this bike is its power, and even more impressive, the torque characteristics of the engine. Yes, the 1190 has amazing power, but trust me, in every gear you feel the power difference between the 1190 and the 1290. Got to say, its power is totally intoxicating and it really takes discipline to be responsible. The power delivery is so smooth, the ride by wire throttle is set up perfectly. In no mode does it feel snatchy. Gear changes super slick. Braking, superb. Suspension? This I'm not entirely happy about despite all the glowing reports one reads. Set preload to single rider then you have a choice of 4 damping modes. Now I find that the street and comfort modes just don't work for me. In these modes the suspension feels surprisingly hard and harsh and any bump in the road produces a very noticeable "knock" on the front end. Very disconcerting. No comfort in comfort mode. The upshoot of this is that I ride the bike in offroad mode all the time. This damping setting seems to work best both on and off road. This is the big disadvantage off an electronic as opposed to manual setup, it just doesn't allow you finer control and adjustment. Maybe the suspension has yet to soften a bit. Offroad? well I live in a part of the world (Knysna) where I'm surrounded by amazing rides off the beaten track. I did the first 1000 kms on the standard tires but they were not great on this bike on the dirt, despite me kinda liking them in the past. I now ride with TKC 80 at the back and Karoo3 up front. of course this bike is not an 1190 R on the dirt, but it will go anywhere and do any route, no problem, no issues. Just adjust your thinking and how you ride. The torque characteristics of the engine really suit offroad. One is never in the "wrong" gear. If you're in 4th when you think you should be in3rd, the bike will deliver all the power you need. It literally pulls in any gear at any revs. Amazing. Diesel engine like character. I love it. It feels totally secure and comfortable in its off road settings. Look, no doubt this bike is primarily an on road tourer, a job it does absolutely incredible well, but it will take on any off the beaten track route with ease. Guess I've rambled on too much, but that's the jist of it….a totally amazing, incredibly awesome, breathtaking bike! Just wish i had my 1190 R parked next to it.