Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Living with a 2014 Versys 650, mods and logs.  (Read 7889 times)

Offline Berty77

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Africa Twin = GROOT KLR
Re: How to uncork the Versys midrange
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2015, 05:36:57 pm »
Mid pipes is almost done, then assembly.
I've played with the TPS a bit and found that the throttle response and smoothness have inmproved by miles, stock setting on mine was crap and the bike feels almost as smooth as the WeeStrom now. O2 sensor eliminator on order.
Skaap tjops, Lammie se kerrie wors en Klein Karoo sterre;
dis mos die lewe!

Offline Berty77

• Race Dog
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2015, 04:16:45 pm »
Power Commander FC17042B install problem
Hardware Version: 1
Bootloader Version: 0.0.0.31
Firmware Version: 0.1.10.6
Guid: *********************************
Serial Number: **************
Model Number: FC17042B
Map Type: 198

2014 Kawasaki Versys KLE650 European model
Stock exhaust
Stock air filter
Dynojet O2 eliminator fitted - 76423007

Status light is not on when ignition is turned on, no power to unit from injector plug. It turns on when connected to PC and loading maps successful. Wiring was done correctly as per manual, orange left tb, yellow right tb, connected to TPS and ground is good. When bridging power to left connector +12V unit status light comes on and unit powers up. No wires to stock harness or FC harness was modified in any way.
Pls supply fix as shipping will kill the cost effectiveness of this unit vs PCV

Unit bought and invoiced from Powerhouse Dyno in Johannesburg, dated 08/10/2015

The above was sent to Dynojet as a technical problem.
Apparently its a known issue they are not addressing in the installation manual. They have sent the 'fix' to an Ozzy, who in return sent in to Micheal A in USA on 09/2014. They were notified to amend their installation guide included in the original packaging.

good and bad
by Michael A. on 08/09/14
Pros: Definitely improves the performance of the 2012 Kawasaki Versys 650 that I own..and their Two Brothers map works well with my Yoshi TRC exhaust (no pops)...
Cons: Oh boy...I ran through two units and two months getting this installed (if I had tried to install it myself I think I would've wanted to shoot somebody)...A wire in their harness needed to be moved in the connector (a power wire..12+..to the injectors)...Long story short..I got the fix from a guy in Australia (he got it from them..but they never mentioned it to my installer)...They now have been told by both me and my mechanic and the problem will be addressed according to them...
dis mos die lewe!

Offline Berty77

• Race Dog
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2015, 06:47:31 pm »
Quote from: Gigitt;990649
That Ozzie would be me :)
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/10-modifications-performance/62354-pc5-wth.html

My Other Posts are on another forum

12V+ power wire on the fuel injectors harness powers the Power commander.

unfortunately the monkeys at kawasaki do not keep to simple assembly rules when installing the wires in fuel injector connector - there is no need too as there is no polarity to activate the fuel injector - soooo sometimes the wires are reversed compared to what DynoJet do when building their wiring harness.

Use a multi meter to find the wire that is 12V+, or look you may find that the 12V+ wire is slightly thicker and the same colour on Both connectors... you have to de-pin the Factory Harness and swap the wires around so that 12V+ from Factory harness goes to the RED wire in the PC harness.

Ok here is a pic of the factory connector so you can see the the locking tab in the top hole, just lift it up and the wire will come out

Quick fix from V-forum.
dis mos die lewe!

Offline Berty77

• Race Dog
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2015, 10:53:27 pm »
O2 eliminator is installed, Dynojet Power Commander is installed with 4 maps loaded (out of  10). The maps vary from 1stock, 2-3mild exhausts, 4full race setup.
I've started with 1 together with my stock filter and exhaust.
Much smoother, no hesitation, no surging at 4k. Even some of the buzz vibrations has gone and it pulls clean and strong. Fuel economy has dropped from 19,5 to 17,8 km/l though (or it could be the spring winds we had here in the Cape the last week).
Pipes have been installed today and I had to can the twin pipe idea because of clearances for the kick stand when in the up position. I had everything made up and installed and found this when I retracted the side stand for the first time  :( then had to redo half of it and remove the y-split in order to have only the right side operational.
dis mos die lewe!

Offline Berty77

• Race Dog
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2015, 10:57:29 pm »
Pics to follow tomorrow after everything's cleaned up.
First test run with the new Akro will also be tomorrow to test which map setting works best with the pipe.
dis mos die lewe!

Offline Berty77

• Race Dog
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2015, 12:02:55 pm »
 :)
dis mos die lewe!

Offline Berty77

• Race Dog
Re: Living with a 2014 Versys 650, mods and logs.
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2015, 06:22:12 pm »
The tests today was done on the road with roll ons in 4th gear, I selected a up hill section on the Polkadraai link between Stellies and Kuile.
First was with the baffle in and the Dynojet stock map (pcfc setting #1). Result was better midrange than stock muffler but it was too rich in the lower revs. No popping on deceleration.
Second was with baffle in and OEM stock map (pcfc setting #10). Standard midrange as per stock muffler and no rich or lean spots, bit more vibey and not as smooth as #1. No popping on deceleration.
Third was with no baffle and the Dynojet stock map (pcfc setting #1). Standard midrange power and lovely top end but LOUD AS F^(%!! Not for me, although I would wake up the sleepy drivers on the N2 commute in the mornings.

My setup for now will be the first with the baffle in and the Dynojet stock map (pcfc setting #1). I fine tuned the throttle position sensor which was set a bit to the high side at 1.1V at 1300rpm, I reset it to factory 1.030V at 1300rpm using the PCFC laptop program plugged into the PCFC to monitor voltage and adjusted the TPS to match 1.030V. The throttle position calibration on PCFC was also set again to match the throttle-input/map.
I adjusted the accelerator pump function to give a little less fuel on throttle opening. Old settings was throttle% @15%, fuel @+15%, revolutions duration for 20revolutions. New settings is throttle% @20%, fuel @+5%, revolutions duration for 5revolutions. Ill check out the results tomorrow in the traffic and report back.
dis mos die lewe!

Offline Kawasefi

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2015, 06:54:04 pm »
That pipe looks wicked man. Where did you get the rear wheel hugger?

Offline Berty77

• Race Dog
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2015, 08:45:25 pm »
Check out SMP in Kraaifontein, www.smpsa.co.za .
I got a rear hugger and fenda extenda from them today. Headlight protectors in stock, Crash bars and Ermax screens on the way. Not sure about radiator grills. Open 7days a week.
Ruan 071 292 9129

;)
dis mos die lewe!

Offline Kawasefi

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2015, 03:35:14 pm »
Check out SMP in Kraaifontein, www.smpsa.co.za .
I got a rear hugger and fenda extenda from them today. Headlight protectors in stock, Crash bars and Ermax screens on the way. Not sure about radiator grills. Open 7days a week.
Ruan 071 292 9129

;)

Haha, thanks!  :biggrin:

I got some Givi semi-rigid luggage for mine, now for the rest of the farkling!

Offline Berty77

• Race Dog
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2015, 07:37:44 pm »
Quick update,
I've found a Versys specific dyno map from a user at the Versys forum. It really runs great now with perfect fuel delivery. O2 sensor still bypassed to let the Power Commander do its own thing.
This bike is now on par with the Vstrom delivery and power but it comes in about 1krpm earlier on the Versys and also runs good to 9k like the Vstrom, difference is the Versys chassis makes for a much more sporty ride because of the shorter wheelbase and loves lofting the front on acceleration in 1st and 2nd gears. Addictive.
dis mos die lewe!

Offline Berty77

• Race Dog
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2015, 07:40:02 pm »
It had its 10kkm service at Kawa South this past week and all is nice , clean and lubed. Awesome little scoot.
dis mos die lewe!

Offline Tom van Brits

Re:
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2015, 10:08:45 am »
Berty who made the pipe extention for you and is the lamba sensor now in the extension pipe under the sump? I am only interested in the 'extention pipe' for my son's bike. He already has a can which is fitted under the bike....we don't really like that

Sent from my SM-J110F using Tapatalk

Offline Berty77

• Race Dog
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2015, 08:16:26 am »
Hi, I made the pipe myself by measure and cutting a few 90'bends and straight pieces.
The lamda/O2 sensor have been removed via a Dynojet eliminator plug to the harness.

I still have the other SS Akro available if you're interested.
dis mos die lewe!

Offline Tom van Brits

Re: Re: Living with a 2014 Versys 650, mods and logs.
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2015, 12:42:23 pm »
Hi, I made the pipe myself by measure and cutting a few 90'bends and straight pieces.
The lamda/O2 sensor have been removed via a Dynojet eliminator plug to the harness.

I still have the other SS Akro available if you're interested.
Thanks but he already got an Airage' can, although under the sump. It is very loud though...but he likes it. I would still like to bring the can out like you did....

Offline Berty77

• Race Dog
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2016, 10:16:26 pm »
I removed the expansion portion in the mid pipe last weekend and added a polished stainless oval freeflow silencer  in its place. It cut about 10dbs from the volume. Baffle is now optional in the end can and not a necessity anymore. The fueling however is all over the show and I'm starting from scratch with maps to the Power commander. Getting there.
The OEM Dunlop sportmax's are almost shot now after 12500km and I'm looking at suitable replacements.
dis mos die lewe!

Offline Tom van Brits

Re: Re: Living with a 2014 Versys 650, mods and logs.
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2016, 09:28:00 pm »
I removed the expansion portion in the mid pipe last weekend and added a polished stainless oval freeflow silencer  in its place. It cut about 10dbs from the volume. Baffle is now optional in the end can and not a necessity anymore. The fueling however is all over the show and I'm starting from scratch with maps to the Power commander. Getting there.
The OEM Dunlop sportmax's are almost shot now after 12500km and I'm looking at suitable replacements.
Metzler Nex'. Rear 180 and it still has a lot of space. I thought when the bike tyre place recommended it they crazy, best decition and the stick to the road much better, especially in the wet. Worth every cent and I will fit them next on my NC750 as well

Offline Berty77

• Race Dog
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2016, 07:39:56 pm »
After my km/l got gradually worse and worse I decided to ditch the Akro and go with the stock setup again. Dynojet Power Commander are also set to Zero map / factory stock map with only the accelerator pump function still utilized. The torque below 3500 is definitely smoother with the stock setup. The O2 sensor eliminator was definitely the best improvement performance wise with the least upset to the fuel consumption and for the price you cant beat it. Fuel consumption is now a constant 18-20km/l.

Moral of the story: The V is well tuned from the factory, ditch the O2 sensor and don't waste your bucks on sports pipes that only create more noise with worse km/l Tha stock, no real power gains. Don't then try then fixing it with more money wasted on dynojets power commanders and other expensive stront.
dis mos die lewe!

Offline Berty77

• Race Dog
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2016, 08:02:03 pm »
Running a set of Bridgestone Battlax BT54 touring tyres, good feel with smooth running and wet grip.
dis mos die lewe!

Offline Berty77

• Race Dog
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2016, 04:14:50 pm »
17500km and time for new chain. Stock item does not like dust and mud and clean green and chain wax mix.  ;D
dis mos die lewe!