Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Reflections on Adventure  (Read 6540 times)

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
Re: Reflections on Adventure
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2015, 08:03:23 am »
For me it is like comparing old timers like Willem van Riet, who would take a canoe and row down the big rivers of Southern Africa without back-up, assistance or any sort of
fall-back, compared to people like Richard Branson and BMW's Charlie and Ewan.

Cocooned in safety takes away some of the excitement of a trip. It is like taking the 15 days see all of Europe guided tour.

Offline dirt rat

« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2015, 08:51:42 am »
Like Ted Simon - around the world in 1974 -unsupported ,no cellphones on a standard Triumph Tiger 500.

Offline andrew5336

« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2015, 09:14:12 am »
I'm definitely in the minimal camp.

Take as little as possible to be safe and "comfortable".

Have a planned destination but allow the occasional detour or "shortcut" - it's what makes travel interesting.

The Adventure bike industry has definitely become like the 4x4 accessory industry - many entrepreneurs designing some very clever things but how much does one actually need?

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2015, 09:19:01 am »
For me it is like comparing old timers like Willem van Riet, who would take a canoe and row down the big rivers of Southern Africa without back-up, assistance or any sort of

For sure.  He wrote some great books about his journeys as well. 

#33 #BRADICAL!
#40 #DIVEBOMB!

Offline Gerrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • Wiff a Sidecar... form Kabega
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2015, 09:37:24 am »
How do you know someone is an adventure biker... he tells you he is.
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline Warren Ellwood

« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2015, 10:03:49 am »
So basically we are comparing the good old days of exploring to modern exploring, some nice memories and comments in this thread. Or are we going back to asking what an adventure is, because we have I think already tried to answer that numerous times and it would seem that there is no definitive answer.

I am also nostalgic about my younger days, exploring the old Transkei, first on an old TW50, well as many parts as possible with a tank or two of gas from Kentani and later on a PE175. But I had a 20 year break in my biking activities, simply because I was barely affording to get by, never mind owning a motorcycle.

Have you ever gone back to your first post on this forum, and seen how or in fact if you, your ideas and perceptions have changed over the years. When I came back to biking after 20 years, I had a TW200 (a massive upgrade from the TW50  :biggrin: ), and thought making it to the Oasis was a major achievement and adventure. Now some days we ride 600km to get to a campsite or destination.

I also think though, there are many folks on here who didnít have the opportunity to do this type of activity when they were young. Or perhaps I am trying to say there are many who got their first motorbike when they were already past 40, and therefore donít know any other form of exploring other than this modern world of GPSís etc.

I still try to be minimalistic when I travel. I have three bags on my bike, when they are full, they are full so I tend to only take stuff I really need. I always travel with my SAT Phone though, because I am too old to be lying around anywhere for too long with a broken femur for example. And I would hate for my wife to be lying anywhere for any amount of time with a broken anything. I take this view possibly because I am a trained first aider, something like a broken femur is life threatening. If you are miles away from help with no way to contact anyone, you could die. That is not part of any adventure I can think of planning and I donít think the wordís ďdied like a real adventurerĒ fit into any sentence I can think of saying.

Back when I was still driving 4x4ís every weekend, I did a simple thing to reduce the amount of stuff you take with you. Get a roll of those little round stickers from Waltons, nice bright color like red, and put one on every piece of kit you pack. As you wear it, or use it, take the sticker off. Anything that goes back home with a sticker still on it, besides things like tyre levers etc, is probably not that necessary.

For me, a motorcycle is a motorcycle in the end, doesnít matter the CC, whatís attached, what you carry etc. As long as I can ride it, I am happy. But I will admit, I would much rather be riding my 800 than a TY50 or 200.  
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 10:56:17 am by Warren Ellwood »
"Before you speak, ask yourself, is it kind, is it necessary, is it true, and does it improve on the silence?"

Offline brianw

« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2015, 10:51:39 am »
good posts!

Offline Xchallenge

• Jou Ma is 'n...
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Braaap!
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2015, 11:05:20 am »
Very cool thread.
Most of us complain about monkey-butt from uncomfortable seats, or wind shield buffeting, and things which make an adventure all that more enjoyable.

Well written!
Load some more photos, especially of ones with the bikes.
If you had a psychic midget who killed someone, you would have a small medium at large.

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2015, 11:09:13 am »
How do you know someone is an adventure biker... he tells you he is.

Hallo.

My name is AMZ and I am an adventure biker.
#33 #BRADICAL!
#40 #DIVEBOMB!

Offline XT JOE

« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2015, 01:39:26 pm »
Very cool thread.
Most of us complain about monkey-butt from uncomfortable seats, or wind shield buffeting, and things which make an adventure all that more enjoyable.

Well written!
Load some more photos, especially of ones with the bikes.

Ditto-- like these
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 01:40:05 pm by XT JOE »
When life gets to hard to stand. kneel

Offline Warren Ellwood

« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2015, 01:47:08 pm »
I've posted one or three of these before.

Seems timely to put one up again.

Young, 50's, no sleeping bags, no roads in fact, two pieces of boerewors and a beer lifted from the old mans fridge.

"Before you speak, ask yourself, is it kind, is it necessary, is it true, and does it improve on the silence?"

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2015, 07:38:15 am »
Like with everything in life, my adventure is your boredom. My interests is your non-interests.

For me to put down your travelstyle with big bike and 3 panniers on highways, is as bad as it is for you to judge me for travelling light and without atgatt.

There is really different grades of adventure, and the grade depends on your personality, likes and dislikes.

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2015, 10:16:05 am »
Interesting posts here go to show, as has been pointed out that everyone is different and no one is right or wrong. I don't undertake long adventure trips any more for financial reasons, but I still get criticised, even ridiculed because I don't carry a celphone. I've never owned one and it's highly unlikely that I ever will.
My days of long adventure trips were mainly in Britain and Europe and my adventure bike was a Triumph twin cafe racer with clip on bars, rear set footrests, and empty exhausts. With all my gear strapped to the seat and tank top with bungy cords, and not so much as a pair of waterproof pants. With useless lights (when they were working at all) searching in the dark for a French camp site - no map of course, and soaked to the skin, that's what we called adventure, though under the circumstances described we sometimes used other words....
Later, getting a bit more savvy I used a more suitable bike, a Bultaco for four weeks in the Spanish/French Pyrenees, including the quaint little country of Andorra.
Still with totally inadequate camping gear we avoided, or rather ignored the civil war that was going on between the Spanish army and the rebel Basque (terrorists?)
Several times we rode to the head of a traffic jam, to find the road blocked off, and an unreadable notice (I knew a bit of Spanish, but Catalan was different).
Anyway, like ignorant tourists we simply rode around the barriers and carried on. It was their war, nothing to do with us and when we encountered heavily armed soldiers we simply acted dumb, and they just shook their heads and let us pass. We came to no harm because I suppose political unrest in Europe in those days was a bit different compared to riding blithely through Boko Haram territory in Africa today!
Great days, but a different time and a different world. If I was 'adventuring' today, I think I would at least know to use tie downs instead of bungees, have decent rain gear, and maybe even follow a map.
But I still wouldn't carry a celphone, because I'll always be too dof to know how to use one! :patch: :ricky:
Succumb not to the erosion of those born of unconsecrated union.

"Two Wheels, an engine and a place to sit." What more do you need?

2021 a milestone. 60 years a biker.

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2015, 10:23:43 am »
Like with everything in life, my adventure is your boredom. My interests is your non-interests.

For me to put down your travelstyle with big bike and 3 panniers on highways, is as bad as it is for you to judge me for travelling light and without atgatt.

There is really different grades of adventure, and the grade depends on your personality, likes and dislikes.

Well said Dan.  Very true indeed.  We ride bikes because we want to do our thing different to everyone else.  If not, we could buy us a Toyota Quantum and all ride together. 
#33 #BRADICAL!
#40 #DIVEBOMB!

Offline Damaraland

« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2015, 12:23:29 pm »

This. So much this. Blowing out another mans candle is not going to make yours brighter.
RR - Angola (https://goo.gl/BzFy7Y) / Video RR - Kaokoland (https://youtu.be/-c-Zespa2No)
Video RR - Messum & Ugab (https://goo.gl/Uhd1vb)  / Video RR - Southern Namibia (http://goo.gl/WpRdRE)
Video RR - Ugab (http://goo.gl/dr57i9) / Video RR - Omaruru River (http://goo.gl/RCTajv)

Offline Wayne Duck

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Freedom Behind Bars
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2015, 12:37:29 pm »

This. So much this. Blowing out another mans candle is not going to make yours brighter.

If only we could all live by this  :biggrin:
Links to my Ride Reports...
I have listed (with links) all my ride reports at the start of this ride report here:
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=121459.0

Offline Roxtar

• REV IT UP
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Aka Sprocket Face
« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2015, 03:43:34 pm »
Most interesting reading.. I was just looking at a trailer full of stuff recently I never use on 4x4 trips that a few years ago I thought were "must haves"....... ;D These days we never even take the trailer anywhere anymore...... it has been parked for the last 6 years or so!Just excess and unneccessary.

I have taken this philosophy now to my old (newish) XR and only fit selective accessories I know are practical and really beneficial to my traits, quirks and odd personality lol.. I also only pack 1 bag for a trip, no matter where it may be.... refuse to fit side panniers and prefer to travel LITE.....  ;D Not too much planning for me as the route is only a suggestion and the distances try to keep not too long in a day so there is time to "hang" if the opportunity rises..... :thumleft:

We did like Allen when still in school and organised weekend rides with the maats with zero attgatt; no puncture fix, maybe a tool between 5 bikes, but plenty of smokes, beer and a backpack full of buns and boerewors.....  :ricky: Was only about the riding and the kuier and plenty of space for adventure......
Long live the Underdog.........

Offline XT JOE

« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2015, 07:38:55 pm »
 I suppose different strokes for different folks- die plek sou seker boring gewees het- verbeel jou 5000 2SDans en net bmw's om mee te ry- Of die rowwe jacks soos Bokveld of Dorsland en geen tent akkomodasie net bed en breakfast :eek7:
Altyd goed om ou pics te sien
Ek het erens n lelike foto of twee van as diep in die modder PE175 by Yellow Sands- sal uit haal en wys
When life gets to hard to stand. kneel

Offline Bokveld

« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2015, 07:50:05 pm »
     Ek en Dorsland het ook sag geword.Ons maak nie meer ons vrag met n geelslang vas nie!

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2015, 07:57:01 pm »
     Ek en Dorsland het ook sag geword.Ons maak nie meer ons vrag met n geelslang vas nie!

Julle het nie sag geword nie, geelslange is net skaarser as van ouds. :imaposer: