Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Reflections on Adventure  (Read 6542 times)

Offline Dorsland

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Opsaal kerels!
    • Patriot Boerbokstoet
Re: Reflections on Adventure
« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2015, 08:00:46 pm »
I wasn't really trying to define the meaning of adventure in my first post.  As some guys here have said, adventure will differ for each one of us.  Rather, I was reflecting on how much pleasure I had got from a somewhat minimalistic and low cost approach to travelling in the early years.  Also that more gadgets and gear and faster, bigger more comfortable vehicles had not translated into more "adventure".  In my case probably less adventure.

I am sure there is some of the "good old days" element at play here too where the good old days are remembered with more pleasure than pain.  For me personally,  the world was more of an adventure when it was bigger and unknown.  Now, technology makes it smaller and more comfortable.  Google Earth, GPS, forums, the internet and other technology will allow me to see what's over that next horizon before I even get there.  That aspect takes away some of the adventure and excitment, some of the unknown element from my travels.

Yes, as AlanB says, it is great to plan the trip.  I love maps of all types (BaseCamp, paper maps, Slingsby maps, Google Earth, Google maps and others) and I can keep myself busy for hours on end just browsing them.  The packing and the planning and the discussing of a trip beforehand is - quite rightly so - a huge part of the trip.  I am not advocating a Vasbyt Vyf type of survival course when traveling.  These days, I too like staying in a guesthouse or a B+B at the end of a hard days riding. A hot shower is a must, a nice steak and chips with ice cream for dessert is lekker. Camping still has its allure though. I look at ChrisL and Weskus' pix of their stealth riverbed camp in the KoŽs Rally fred and that just calls to me.

If I had to encapsulate what I am trying to recapture, it's the unknown element of adventure.  Technology has removed this from us.  Nothing is unknown any longer.  Everything is mapped and plotted and logged and photographed and connected and has a GPS co-ordinate.  

Maybe I'm not expressing myself well here.

I come back to my analogy of the early seafarers and the astronauts.  The sailors knew absolutely nothing about where they were going, they had no contact with their world once they left known and mapped seas and shores.  The astronauts on the other hand, knew almost everything about where they were going despite the fact they had never physically been there before.  They had images of space, the moon, earth from space and so on.  They had comms with earth and help and advice was a radio transmission away.

For me, the sailors had the bigger adventure because the unknown factor was bigger for them.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 08:18:42 pm by Dorsland »
'Tis the timeís plague, when madmen lead the blind.

King Lear

Offline Dorsland

• Grey hound
  • Opsaal kerels!
    • Patriot Boerbokstoet
« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2015, 08:04:42 pm »
     Ek en Dorsland het ook sag geword.Ons maak nie meer ons vrag met n geelslang vas nie!

Te danke aan Google kan ons nou ander slange ook as moontlike vasbindmetode gebruik, ons kan ander ouens se insette op die forum bekom, ons kan fotos van verskillende slange, die voor- en nadele van hulle bespreek en dan kan ons besluit.  Daarna kan ons fotos van die rinkhals vs die swart mamba hier pos en ouens se terugvoering kry.  :ricky:  Ons kan ook 6 verskillende plekke met ko-ordinate hier pos waar ons die rinkhals gevang het asook waar die beste plek is om die langste rinkhalse te vang as jy baie bagasie het. ;)

King Lear

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2015, 08:10:22 pm »
     Ek en Dorsland het ook sag geword.Ons maak nie meer ons vrag met n geelslang vas nie!

Te danke aan Google kan ons nou ander slange ook as moontlike vasbindmetode gebruik, ons kan ander ouens se insette op die forum bekom, ons kan fotos van verskillende slange, die voor- en nadele van hulle bespreek en dan kan ons besluit.  Daarna kan ons fotos van die rinkhals vs die swart mamba hier pos en ouens se terugvoering kry.  :ricky:  Ons kan ook 6 verskillende plekke met ko-ordinate hier pos waar ons die rinkhals gevang het asook waar die beste plek is om die langste rinkhalse te vang as jy baie bagasie het. ;)

n Slang behoort goed te werk, ek kan indink hoe n man jou vrag vastrek, die slandg se stert in sy bek druk, en daai tande vasknip op sy stert.

Offline XT JOE

« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2015, 08:19:16 pm »

n Slang behoort goed te werk, ek kan indink hoe n man jou vrag vastrek, die slandg se stert in sy bek druk, en daai tande vasknip op sy stert.

En so maak mens - met Esme :thumleft:
When life gets to hard to stand. kneel

Offline Dorsland

• Grey hound
  • Opsaal kerels!
    • Patriot Boerbokstoet
« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2015, 08:19:56 pm »
Ek en Bokveld bang niks nie, nie eens 'n slangstrap of twee nie. Ons is mos Adventurers  :deal: :biggrin:

King Lear

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2015, 08:20:53 pm »
Ek en Bokveld bang niks nie, nie eens 'n slangstrap of twee nie. Ons is mos Adventurers  :deal: :biggrin:

Lyk my julle is net skeitbang vir KTM's. :ricky:

Offline Dorsland

• Grey hound
  • Opsaal kerels!
    • Patriot Boerbokstoet
« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2015, 08:21:25 pm »

En so maak mens - met Esme :thumleft:

Jy weet jy het met daai stelling nou net bevestig jy is 'n ou ballie nť  :lol8:

King Lear

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2015, 08:24:31 pm »

Julle kan nie wees nie,  jammer.   Feit is,  hoe banger mens is,  hoe groter is die avontuur.    :lamer:
#33 #BRADICAL!
#40 #DIVEBOMB!