Verneukpan 2015 - done and dusted

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NIMMO

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Probably one of the shortest RR’s in a long time – will spice it up with a prologue  :deal:

Group report:  https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=176424.0

The Tuesday before the trip I took off the HP’s side stand bracket and heated it up in order to get the stand bent back to its original lean angle – the bracket seemed fine and all was well  :thumleft:

Wednesday I had some business in Bloem and took the HP with for the recalls that were issued on the fuel pump and wheel flange.  After offloading the bike I put it on the stand which gave way and finally broke off.  :-\ The bike went into the workshop just to be told the fuel pump had now cracked beyond “ChrisL’s” little clamp and needed to be replaced completely  :patch: – no stock in Bloem.  Left for home, got home at eight made arrangements for going up to Bloem Thursday with a lift again.

Thursday got to Bloem mid day got the bike- tyres fitted, new battery, recalls done (Thanks to Sovereign for sorting it out :thumleft:) left Bloem and got home just in time to get the home and business side of the trip sorted – nothing packed yet.  I decided to leave it to early Friday morning.

Friday morning as I got to the business to start getting everything together my gardener informed me that on this fresh morning without frost 2 pipes had burst and I should come have a look.  Jip water everywhere -  only not burst – GONE – affirmative copper reclaiming.  :mad: :mad: Yes people crime has reached Colesberg now it is truly everywhere.  :patch: :lamer:

IMG_3806 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

I was not myself to say the least :bueller:– spent the rest of the morning redoing all the pipe work.  Normally I like working plumbing but not with water in the pipes already and pipes bent every direction that need to be cut and mended.  In any case packed and got away at 15H00.  Heading - Victoria West.  :ricky:
I had a day long trip planned taking in a LOT of gravel and getting to Tribes by dark by late afternoon this was now a distant dream and I pushed N1 up to Richmond and swung away to Tribe’s farm.  I made it just as dark was setting in. :biggrin:

Wasn’t long before Tribes made a nice fire and prepared arguably the BEST steak I had had in a LONG LONG time.  I went to bed bushed but satisfied  :thumleft: with how the day ended. 

Saturday we got up packed and pushed off toward Carnarvon around 08H00.  Was nice having a travelling partner for a change.  We made good time, filled up at Carnarvon and set off towards the Pan taking the Bergsig road. 

IMG_3807 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_3808 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

Along the way we stopped made a fire and soon had some more meat in our stomachs.  Life was GOOD. :pot:

IMG_3811 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_3813 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_3815 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

Keeping in mind everywhere we went “I had to find a “resting” spot for the stand less HP.  The gates leading up to Verneukpan was a jol.  I would stop wait for my gateboy  :pot: :peepwall: to arrive – he would open it and so we went on.  Thank Tribes you are a gentleman and a scholar.  :imaposer:

IMG_3816 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_3819 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_3822 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_3827 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_3831 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_3832 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_3833 (Medium) by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

We arrived at the Pan probably at one I think, by now the winds were so strong at times I could barely see Tribes leading the way never mind where the Pan was.

IMG_3834 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

We offloaded and spoke to Louis and started pitching our tents that were at times more paragliders than living structures.

IMG_3835 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_3837 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_3836 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_3839 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_3843 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_3849 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr
IMG_3848 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_3853 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

Steadily the gang arrived one by one and in small groups.  Wasn’t long before the Witbank / Benoni (family affiliated) gang  :pot: :pot: :pot: went and did their upmost to increase the amount of dust already heading towards camp.  The drags were on. On a technical point Hinksding LOST his title to Tribes’s HP.
The rules clearly stated that you must reach the Pan with the tyre you do the drag with.....  Sorry rules are rules.
  :lamer: :biggrin:

IMG_3856 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

The wind started dying down and we soon found the 4 bears each promised – the scenery was unique to say the least.

IMG_3857 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_3858 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_3859 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_3860 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_3865 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

We were 15 all in all and had a proper family gathering listening to some GREAT jokes from our new companion the IRISHMAN aka rightsidedown.  :spitcoffee: :spitcoffee:  The fire and companionship made for a super relaxing evening.  Stoffel thanks again for the food and everything you provided. 
We hit the sack around Sunday morning.

When we woke the weather had changed – the front was moving in fast.  :-\

IMG_3867 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_3869 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

We packed filled up and said our goodbyes. 

IMG_3870 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_3873 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_3876 (Medium) by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_3884 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

The weather was a mix of rain and cold up to Carnarvon – Tribes broke off for Vic West and I pushed for home trying to outrun the COLD – but to no avail.  :xxbah: :patch:
With every trip you learn something, this time it was Tribes regarding whether or not to dress warm – Hitte is ongemaklik, KOUE is seeeeer.

Special thanks to Stoffel for ALL the effort he put into the whole event and even making a plan to provide the 2 HP okes with some fuel.  To all the new and “old” guys thanks for a pleasant outing and getting to know you. To Tribes for opening and closing all the gates while I just sat there.