Insurance frustrations.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wobbler

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Maybe I'm just young and dumb but.... Ok, thats a given!

I was hit from behind off my bike a few months ago and my bike was damaged to the tune of about R16K.
The doos that hit me was not insured....

I had taken the offramp off the highway and when I got to the traffic lights saw that there had been a rather substantial accident some time before my arrival.
As a result of this I stayed at the back of the line of cars instead of filtering to the front.

By the time I got to go there were 2 woman each with 2 small kids trying to get across the road, having now got stuck in the middle with traffic flowing in both directions.
The car in front of me stopped and let 1 group through, but then pulled away leaving the 1 group still in the middle of the road.

I was dead stopped with both feet on the ground so waved her across the road.
As I'm watching her cross in front of me I see her looking in my direction and then get this panic stricken look on her face as she starts running to get out of the road with the 2 kids by the hand.
It was at this moment that my brain registers that something is not quite right.
As I'm looking in my mirror, still stopped dead in the road, I hear a screeching of tyres and the crunch of him hitting me from behind.

New unlicensed vehicle, no insurance (long excuses about a previous written off vehicle a week before and a repudiated claim.... great guy).

My insurance pays for the repairs, I get the bike back and all is fine. They informed me that they would do a 3rd party claim to get the costs back from this bloke. All good.

Today I get an email from them telling me that my premium is being increased by R81 (37%) because of my claim!
What a crock of shit!

They have changed MY risk profile because HE hit me because they can't get money out of this guy!

I have told them that I do not accept the increase and they either leave me on the same risk profile and the same or same premium + reasonable annual increase or I move. So now we wait and see.

So who do you guys insure with? I want a few quotes!