Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Ball joint boot  (Read 7724 times)

Offline Dutchman81

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
Ball joint boot
« on: July 19, 2015, 04:29:56 pm »
Found this boot at work at a cost of R7, took it home and fitted it to JR85 Gsa, cheap round and good to go again, if my phone will load the pics this time otherwise Mr T will you help again loading my pictures...
2008 Klr650
2008 R1200GS Adv
''In the end , its not going to matter how many breaths you took , but how many moments took your breath away.''

Offline Cyclops

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
Re: Ball joint boot
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 05:09:03 pm »
Just took my bike in for a service. Ball joint rubber has been foobar for 15000 000 kms. Justin of Motorradtec is very serious about not just replacing the boot when it wears but rather to replace the whole ball joint. Reason is that when the rubber boot goes, it is very likely that the ball joint itself itself is starting to wear. As this is a VERY critical safety item it is best to replace.
That said, it is a very expensive part. Hope my ball joint itself is  still good for a couple of thou still.

Online Knucklhead

• aka: Mooseknuckle/ knucky/knuckles/philistine
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 05:38:11 pm »
Be carefull that joint is probably buggered as well check for play, had to replace mine too

Offline Dutchman81

Re:
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 06:16:13 pm »
Thanks guys, been in the suspension trade for a while now and was the first thing that was checked, no play yet caught it in time, so for now it was a cheap round

Sent from my D5103 using Tapatalk
2008 Klr650
2008 R1200GS Adv
''In the end , its not going to matter how many breaths you took , but how many moments took your breath away.''

Offline DavidMorrisXp

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 07:30:18 pm »
Went for tyres two weeks ago & it was pointed out to me that mine rubber had gone.

I asked them to silicone the rubber & it could be repaired at the next service.

Apparently it takes time to repair so labour cost is high.  In any event, I decided it was time to move on and go for another bike
Check out my YouTube channel, please like & subscribe

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUyKBSrBu-N5oswrTlAhphQ

Offline Jughead

• Old rail tunnel, Cradock.
  • Forum Whore
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2015, 09:09:53 pm »
Just took my bike in for a service. Ball joint rubber has been foobar for 15000 000 kms. Justin of Motorradtec is very serious about not just replacing the boot when it wears but rather to replace the whole ball joint. Reason is that when the rubber boot goes, it is very likely that the ball joint itself itself is starting to wear. As this is a VERY critical safety item it is best to replace.
That said, it is a very expensive part. Hope my ball joint itself is  still good for a couple of thou still.

Yip, after 15000 000km the whole bike should soon need to be replaced
I came here to drink milk and kick arse!  And i've just finished my milk.
http://www.dsmc.co.za        http://www.triumphowners.com/to-car/mkiii/
Supplier of Ticket to the Moon Hammocks   http://www.ticketothemoon.com             

Offline DavidMorrisXp

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2015, 09:25:47 pm »

Sounds like another advert for quality oil
Check out my YouTube channel, please like & subscribe

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUyKBSrBu-N5oswrTlAhphQ

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 07:25:21 am »

What did Justin quote for a new ball joint?

The rubber on mine has also split - discovered this because of a slight "knock" from the front suspension, like if the main steering column nut was a bit loose? Poked around and discovered the torn boot - I suspect the knock & play is from that joint now..... Anyway, bike is in "low use mode" until its fixed....  :biggrin:
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Online Knucklhead

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 08:02:47 am »

The rubber on mine has also split - discovered this because of a slight "knock" from the front suspension, like if the main steering column nut was a bit loose? Poked around and discovered the torn boot - I suspect the knock & play is from that joint now..... Anyway, bike is in "low No use mode" until its fixed....  :biggrin:

Fixed...that leetle bolt holds everything together bud... :o

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2015, 08:26:58 am »

The rubber on mine has also split - discovered this because of a slight "knock" from the front suspension, like if the main steering column nut was a bit loose? Poked around and discovered the torn boot - I suspect the knock & play is from that joint now..... Anyway, bike is in "low No use mode" until its fixed....  :biggrin:

Fixed...that leetle bolt holds everything together bud... :o

Indeed - the Low/No usage has been limited to moving the bike out of the garage, into the driveway....  :eek7:

Time to phone Justin and BMW....

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Beebop

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2015, 09:24:18 am »
I wouldnt make a blanket statement that a damaged boot necessitates replacement of the ball joint.
Mine was perished and split in 2 shortly after I got my bike @ around 40000km. I replaced just the boot
and greased the joint. Now @ 122000kms its still good as new. If you catch it early theres no reason to
believe its shot.

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2015, 09:28:24 am »
I wouldnt make a blanket statement that a damaged boot necessitates replacement of the ball joint.
Mine was perished and split in 2 shortly after I got my bike @ around 40000km. I replaced just the boot
and greased the joint. Now @ 122000kms its still good as new. If you catch it early theres no reason to
believe its shot.

I suspect mine is dodgy, hence the play that I can feel.
Time has not been on my side the last few weeks, so I have had to put the investigation off, but the plan is to trip the fairing etc. off and investigate the ball joint properly - also replace the rubber grommet on the speedo, that is also klaar, while I am there.
I need a few hours of quiet time for this ho....

Offline Mr.T

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2015, 02:14:47 pm »
Posting pics that Rocco took of the transplant as spoken about for the joint boot.
That is an excellent replacement cover if the ball joint mechanical's is still in a good place.
Stop talking and start riding

Offline katana

• One day when I grow up, I want to be a
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
  • Sheer Smiling Pleasure
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2015, 02:56:33 pm »
believe its shot.

I caught mine early as a tear. When I inspected the actual ball it was 100%.  The bike had 24000kms.
"The only man that has to remember anything, is the man who tells a lie" Mark Twain

Offline Cyclops

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2015, 03:12:57 pm »

Sorry that should have read 15 000 kms

Offline Cyclops

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2015, 03:17:03 pm »

The rubber on mine has also split - discovered this because of a slight "knock" from the front suspension, like if the main steering column nut was a bit loose? Poked around and discovered the torn boot - I suspect the knock & play is from that joint now..... Anyway, bike is in "low use mode" until its fixed....  :biggrin:
I didn't get a figure from him, but a year ago the quote from Auto Alpina BMW was about R1650 - cant remember if that was incl or excl Vat. Apparently its also the labour bill that goes with it as it's quite a big job - so I am told

Offline Aaklige Attie

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2015, 03:27:42 pm »
Ball joint with rubber from BMW will set you back about R1300.00. That is excluding any labour. My boot also needs replacing but think I should rather opt for fitting complete unit.

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2015, 07:53:19 am »
OK - I did some searching last night - the "clunk" is not from the ball joint at all, in fact there is absolutely no play on the ball joint at all - good news!

Then there was much discussion about where the noise was in fact coming from - turns out it's the floating brake discs..... So now I need someone with a GS/A to do me a favour, grab a brake disc and check what the level of movement is....? They are floating disc's so there will be a little play, but enough to cause a light "clunk"

And Dutchman81 - what was the ball-joint rubber off of? Where do I get one....?

Online Knucklhead

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2015, 10:22:07 am »
OK - I did some searching last night - the "clunk" is not from the ball joint at all, in fact there is absolutely no play on the ball joint at all - good news!

Then there was much discussion about where the noise was in fact coming from - turns out it's the floating brake discs..... So now I need someone with a GS/A to do me a favour, grab a brake disc and check what the level of movement is....? They are floating disc's so there will be a little play, but enough to cause a light "clunk"

bestway is to put bike on center stand, let someone hold it so that the front wheel is off the ground and then pull the weel forward and puch backwards...in this way any ball joint movement will be detected.

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2015, 11:34:09 am »

bestway is to put bike on center stand, let someone hold it so that the front wheel is off the ground and then pull the weel forward and puch backwards...in this way any ball joint movement will be detected.

Cheers - I will give it a try tonight! Thanks!