Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Ball joint boot  (Read 7716 times)

Offline Mr.T

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
Re: Ball joint boot
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2015, 12:44:10 pm »
1) The clunks and rattles you hear from the front disks area has two places of disturbance.
The disk itself is floating and over time loosens up enough to become noisy.
The test is to grab each disk and see if you can move it by pulling & pushing in the direction of rotation of the wheel.
If this indicates a clicking sound the disks are loose and need to be modded to be made secure.

2) The other point to look at is the pins that hold the brake pads in position in the caliper housing.
Those pins erode with the pads knocking on then continuously.
These pins need to be replaced and can be bought at BMW as part of a kit.

A large part of the noise will then be eliminated. Geniet.
Stop talking and start riding

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2015, 12:48:42 pm »
1) The clunks and rattles you hear from the front disks area has two places of disturbance.
The disk itself is floating and over time loosens up enough to become noisy.
The test is to grab each disk and see if you can move it by pulling & pushing in the direction of rotation of the wheel.
If this indicates a clicking sound the disks are loose and need to be modded to be made secure.

This is certainly part of the problem - the disc is visibly loose - now, what is the mod to fix it, do you have knowledge?

I will strip the brakes off as well, just to be sure. the bike has 50k km on it, 5 years old, so I expect the odd sneaky maintenance job to do....

Thanks for the info!
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline raffie

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2015, 12:55:57 pm »
The floating disc rattle can be solved by putting a cable tie around each floating point fastner where the wavy washers are. I'll take a pic tonight and post it. Sorts the noise 100%
Never EVER take a sleeping pill and a laxative at the same time.

Offline Mr.T

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2015, 06:56:05 pm »
Well done raffie. That is spot on. A 10 cent fix for a ZAR 5000.00 problem if you know how.
 A small point of this is that all the inserts of the cable tie must lay in the same side to keep the rotors aligned & smooth acting.  8)
Stop talking and start riding

Offline Dutchman81

Re:
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2015, 07:16:01 pm »
These bikes are in some cases very simple to do general maintenance if you just think logical with a bit of a mechanical mind...
My 2c

Sent from my D5103 using Tapatalk
2008 Klr650
2008 R1200GS Adv
''In the end , its not going to matter how many breaths you took , but how many moments took your breath away.''

Offline Dutchman81

Re:
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2015, 07:19:12 pm »
These boots are available from Autozone as far as I know, got these from the P.E branch

Sent from my D5103 using Tapatalk
2008 Klr650
2008 R1200GS Adv
''In the end , its not going to matter how many breaths you took , but how many moments took your breath away.''

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2015, 07:27:19 am »
OK - I did some searching last night - the "clunk" is not from the ball joint at all, in fact there is absolutely no play on the ball joint at all - good news!

Then there was much discussion about where the noise was in fact coming from - turns out it's the floating brake discs..... So now I need someone with a GS/A to do me a favour, grab a brake disc and check what the level of movement is....? They are floating disc's so there will be a little play, but enough to cause a light "clunk"

And Dutchman81 - what was the ball-joint rubber off of? Where do I get one....?

bestway is to put bike on center stand, let someone hold it so that the front wheel is off the ground and then pull the weel forward and puch backwards...in this way any ball joint movement will be detected.

Cheers - I will give it a try tonight! Thanks!

Cool - tried this last night - no movement on the ball-joint at all, which is great. Will try Autozone for a boot this afternoon on the way home.

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline raffie

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2015, 08:26:33 am »
 :thumleft: Mr T.

Pics of cable ties.
Never EVER take a sleeping pill and a laxative at the same time.

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2015, 08:34:18 am »
:thumleft: Mr T.

Pics of cable ties.

Cheers bud, very nice - I will grab a fistful of cable-ties on the weekend!

Offline Gravel Man

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2015, 04:04:57 pm »
I have ordered replacement boots for the ball joint. Looks exactly the same as the oe one. Waiting for delivery from Europe.

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2015, 08:53:17 am »
I have ordered replacement boots for the ball joint. Looks exactly the same as the oe one. Waiting for delivery from Europe.

May I ask how much, where from etc?
I still need to order....

Offline Gravel Man

« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2015, 11:34:25 am »
Ariete make them, same manufacture as the grips for the BMW. Haven`t got pricing yet. Trickbitz bring them in for me.

Offline EssBee

« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2015, 11:41:26 am »
I noticed mine was torn at about 35k kms.... When I took it for it's 40k km service now recently they did the whole job....all I paid for was the labour, the part was covered by some "good will" policy that they have!!!!!! I was very pleasantly surprised  :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2015, 11:57:40 am »
I noticed mine was torn at about 35k kms.... When I took it for it's 40k km service now recently they did the whole job....all I paid for was the labour, the part was covered by some "good will" policy that they have!!!!!! I was very pleasantly surprised  :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Very nice!
Can't think mine will be replaced on those terms though - it's 5 years old & 3 years out of warranty!
I am contacting bikebitz.....

Offline EssBee

« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2015, 12:12:47 pm »

Very nice!
Can't think mine will be replaced on those terms though - it's 5 years old & 3 years out of warranty!
I am contacting bikebitz.....

Mine too....it's a 2010....They said something to the affect of "regular services..." Took me totally by surprise.

Offline Gravel Man

« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2015, 06:18:33 pm »
Stock arrived, R275. ea. Trickbits is a wholesaler, Won`t sell to the public.

Offline kwassi

Re:
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2015, 07:25:45 pm »
Joint and ball included?
Solo travellers should not be considered unsociable, they are expressing their independence until they choose to do otherwise.

Offline eddyd

« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2015, 06:27:22 am »
My 2012 GSA went for a 40K service and the boot was worn so the whole Ball Joint got replaced at R2600 extra.
Peace of mind I guess.

RIDE SAFE.
EddyD
and his
1200 Eddyphant.

Offline EssBee

« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2015, 08:10:05 am »
Dug out my invoice now....it was replaced under a "recall"....they then said they'd check what other recalls were applicable....then as you can see they replaced the WHOLE fuel pump assembly which is a humungus device, simply because, they explained, the thing is known to develop tiny cracks at the top on a protruding plastic part. Not complaining.

Why the ball joint appears on the invoice as a 1150 part I cannot remember, I did ask and I did get a feasible answer but cannot remember.

I was quite chuffed with this service.....my older GS coast me about a grand MORE for it's 40k km service WITHOUT any extra's added on like this one.

As said....I was told of some "goodwill policy because my services have all been very regular"...hence this additional work being done.

Offline Gravel Man

« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2015, 06:21:26 pm »
The 1150 uses the same ball joint.