Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Wanted! DIY Garage Space and Dual Sport Aftermarket Store  (Read 2665 times)

Offline KoalaCee

• Puppy
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
Wanted! DIY Garage Space and Dual Sport Aftermarket Store
« on: July 21, 2015, 05:49:44 pm »
Hey all,

New here and just looking for some information about prepping for a trip from South Africa to Asia.

I arrive in mid-August and will be picking my bike up from Port Elizabeth. I'll need to do some upgrading and wrenching prior to setting out (and waiting for all the paperwork to get done!). Does anybody know if there are DIY garages or shop clubs in the area of Port Elizabeth? What about Jburg or Cape Town?

I've also had some issues finding dual sport equipment suppliers online. I'm normally pretty good with the google machine but I just can't seem to find what I'm looking for. Any insight on that, gents?

Any info on where I might be able to get my prep done would be much appreciated!

Offline Vintage_Mania

• Administrator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Harley Davidson (all models)
Re: Wanted! DIY Garage Space and Dual Sport Aftermarket Store
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 05:53:30 pm »
Just out of interest, where are you coming from?
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day. And doing nothing often leads to the very best kind of something.

Offline Herklaas

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • Do it, you only live twice.
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 05:54:59 pm »
 :sip: Try Matthew De Reuck at bikegear.com or co.za he is a supplier of bike accessories and based in PE
Yamaha 50, Yamaha 400, 2 x Yamaha DR 350 LC, Honda CBX 550 F2, Honda TransAlp 650, Triumph Tiger 800 Xc,
Now 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 Xcx.and.. my favorite... 1996 Yamaha Tenere 660 5 valve single.And, the latest 1989 Yamaha Super Tenere 750.

Offline KoalaCee

• Puppy
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 05:59:45 pm »
Vintage,
I'm coming from western Canada. First time to Africa!

Dragonfly,
I will definitely check it out. I've seen the website but I didn't realize that he was in PE. Thanks!

Offline Johndog

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 10:19:29 pm »
hey KoalaCee

I've possibly got a bed and space in a garage for you. I'm near Carletonville (about an hour South West of Johannesburg) PM me if you are interested. What is your timeline and requirements etc.

Cheers

Offline hedleyj

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 07:07:49 am »
Depending on the bike check with Paulie at GPS4Africa

DS parts and workshop in pretoria
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 07:08:36 am by hedleyj »
I'm sure the sun goes around the earth twice a day.

Offline silvrav

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 07:22:09 am »
Which bike are you getting?

This will help us a lot to help recommending people and places to you.

Welcome to africa and I am sure you going to have a blast!

you say you heading to asai? tell us a bit more? how long and via what countries?

Offline KoalaCee

• Puppy
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 07:59:36 am »
Thank you to all for your responses. I'm buying a gen 2 KLR. Luckily I found one at a reasonable price that had most of the required upgrades (crash bars, panniers, new shocks, etc) already completed and fairly low mileage.

To be honest, I'm not much one for planning and the specific goal of this trip is to kind of wing it haha
I'll be leaving SA up the Eastern Coast as far as Sudan and then cutting back down through DRC to the Western Coast and up to Morocco and across North Africa (as much as is possible, using ships to bypass Libya. Then grab a ferry form Egypt to Turkey, and ride through Iran all the way to India and Nepal. Asia I haven't quite figured out yet but I'm not too worried about it. Hoping to take about a year and a half.

There are some dicey areas in there but as they say, "adventure without risk is Disneyland" haha

Offline Casting from Turd

• Read my avatar and act accordingly
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • #DTCBM
    • addobackpackers.com
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 08:04:32 am »
:sip: Try Matthew De Reuck at bikegear.com or co.za he is a supplier of bike accessories and based in PE

Yep. Mat is your man down this way
I dont want to ride fast, But I want to ride FAR
Past Bikes...Honda XR250 Tornado,Honda XR650L
Honda XL1000V Varadero
BMW 1200 GSA, 800GSA
http://www.addobackpackers.com

Offline KoalaCee

• Puppy
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 08:16:29 am »
Aaaaannndd nevermind about the bike.

The guy I sent a down payment to just emailed me to tell me that he has sold the bike and will be sending me back the money.

If anyone knows about bikes for sale, feel free to let me know!!

Offline silvrav

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 08:41:29 am »
Aaaaannndd nevermind about the bike.

The guy I sent a down payment to just emailed me to tell me that he has sold the bike and will be sending me back the money.

If anyone knows about bikes for sale, feel free to let me know!!

Thats not cool!! sorry man!

What is your price range?

Offline dookie

• The last Avatar Meatbender.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • Health and Safetitty matters
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 08:44:31 am »
You can check our own For Sale section for bikes : http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?board=10.0

There are also various on-line vehicle selling platforms you can peruse, for instance : http://bikes.autotrader.co.za/makemodel/make/KAWASAKI/model/KLR/search

If you require one of the local reprobates to go and view/ inspect a bike, just ask.

If you ever pass the little mining town of Cullinan, North- East of Johannesburg - you have a bed and garage full of tools to your disposal.

Keep us up to date with your schedule, and we will assist where possible.

Offline KoalaCee

• Puppy
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2015, 08:50:49 am »
It's always hard to lock down those intercontinental deals, isn't it? haha

I've put up an ad in the sales section: http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=176884.0
If anyone sees anything that might be the right fit, I would be much obliged if you passed it my way.

I would also like to mention how impressed I am with the community here. Very involved and supportive. Quite nice to see!
Maybe I'll just spend my year touring South Africa and meeting all of you haha

Offline dookie

• The last Avatar Meatbender.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • Health and Safetitty matters
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2015, 08:52:18 am »

I've put up an ad in the sales section: http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=176884.0
If anyone sees anything that might be the right fit, I would be much obliged if you passed it my way.

I would also like to mention how impressed I am with the community here. Very involved and supportive. Quite nice to see!
So your intent is to become a professional alcoholic.
You will fit right in...........hic.

Offline ClemS

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Triumph 955 RSI
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2015, 08:55:39 am »
Speak to Manic, he is a man with contacts and resides in PE.
The brave do not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all.

Offline silvrav

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2015, 10:26:10 am »

Plenty of free beds and SA style foods  :thumleft:

Offline KoalaCee

• Puppy
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2015, 08:10:48 am »
Just an update for those of you following:
- I've received a number of great leads on bikes and places to turn wrench. I'm currently doing some research on which model etc would best suit me.
- I'm still not really sure what my plan looks like, as it's dependent on where I pick up the bike, but will be visiting Gauteng and the Cape as a minimum
- After only several days on here, I still can't quite believe the amount of support and interest that I have received from members of the forum. It is impressive how genuine the community here is

Thanks to all!
Conor

Offline silvrav

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2015, 08:14:14 am »
- I've received a number of great leads on bikes and places to turn wrench. I'm currently doing some research on which model etc would best suit me.
- I'm still not really sure what my plan looks like, as it's dependent on where I pick up the bike, but will be visiting Gauteng and the Cape as a minimum
- After only several days on here, I still can't quite believe the amount of support and interest that I have received from members of the forum. It is impressive how genuine the community here is

Thanks to all!
Conor

:thumleft: South africa is not as kak as everyone says in the wide open world  :ricky:

Offline Matewis

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2015, 08:33:06 am »

Thanks to all!
Conor

Hahahah en nou wil jy Lagos toe!!! I think it boils down to people sharing the same passion.

:thumleft: South africa is not as kak as everyone says in the wide open world  :ricky:
“Don’t go where the path my lead…  Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail…” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
https://kettingsaag.wordpress.com/
https://witvosblog.wordpress.com/

Offline lone riderer

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • travel.
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2015, 08:08:50 pm »
you might want to think twice about crossing the DRC / South Sudan / CAR by any means. The DRC havent been crossed overland since the 90s and even then it was hell. a motorcycle may get you west to Kisangani but it will be up to 3months on the congo river to Kinshasa if you're lucky. you could go from Lumbumbashi on Zambian border to Kinshasa also be about a 2 month mission from hell, certainly not to be done alone.. horizonsunlimited is a good source for latest travelling info for these places. good call on the KLR.  anyway, good luck it sounds like an awesome trip
“One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.” – Henry Miller