Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: BMW VIN Check (Use this to find details on your BMW bike)  (Read 6667 times)

Offline Copernicus

• Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • Crossroads in the dirt.
BMW VIN Check (Use this to find details on your BMW bike)
« on: July 23, 2015, 07:00:53 pm »
If you want to see all the details about your own, or another bike, go to www.bmwarchive.org/ and fill in the VIN.

It shows everything the bike left the factory with (but it is in German, so you may have to translate). And you can also choose to receive all the information in a PDF file. Quite nifty.

Edit:  I had another look at the link. It actually works in two steps.  After opening the link, the first attempt takes you to the actual website where you fill in (again) the LAST SEVEN digits of your VIN.  Don't forget to tick the box where you deny being a robot  :P.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 01:19:48 pm by Copernicus »
I started biking as an under achiever and it went downhill from there...

Offline Copernicus

• Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • Crossroads in the dirt.
Re: BMW VIN Check (Use this to find details on your BMW bike)
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 09:09:33 am »
I was looking for my bike's engine number yesterday because it is nowhere on the documentation provided by the French so I used this site again.  It does not give the engine number that the bike left the factory with.  For some reason engine numbers appear not being important to either the Germans or the French.

Anyway, during the process I made a discovery of exceptional coincidence.  My search for anything related to the engine number took me to another forum where it explained the composition of the engine number.  From that I could see that my bike's engine was manufactured in the 45th week of 2014.  I then had a look at the date of manufacture and the two correlated perfectly because my bike was produced 6 November 2014 which is slap bang in the middle of that week (3-9 Nov 2014).  I then looked at a copy of my previous bike's registration, basically to confirm that the engine number appears there.  It was, and to my surprise the engine number had similarities in the same position as my current bike's.  I then ran the VIN (of my old bike) through the check and voila!  Both bikes, of the same model, were produced on exactly the same date (6 November), only 6 years apart.  

How is that for coincidence?  I will try to calculate the odds of that happening to one person (with a few assumptions, of course).
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 01:16:56 pm by Copernicus »
I started biking as an under achiever and it went downhill from there...