XR400R not starting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prototype

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR400
Hi all,

Im new to the XR, and new to a kick start bike so excuse me if i bring up stuff that makes me look like a noob. Cause I am.

Im having difficulty starting my bike. When i first got it I could get it started with a kick or three, even from cold with half choke. Now the bike doesn't want to start at all. I drained the carb and tried again - initially this worked but even this does not do the trick now. I checked the air filter (clean) and the spark plug (had some black soot which indicates it's been running rich (i think)). Cleaned the spark plug with a wire brush (only 600 km old) and replaced it. Still nothing. So i'm thinking that the valves are most likely not ayoba. Have not yet got around to checking them, will hopefully do so tonight or some time this week.

Am i missing something here? Should i service the carb (need to adjust fuel-air mix if running rich/lean anyway)? Should i kick harder? Should i talk gently to the beast? The latter i don't believe will work as there is nothing soft and gentle about this beastly bike...

Will check the valve clearances and report back, but anything in the meantime that i should keep in mind?

Shot