Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Warning: Take note of this newspaper report  (Read 1607 times)

Offline LanceSA

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy a bike.
Re: Warning: Take note of this newspaper report
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2008, 07:24:00 am »
and if there is intent , then what?

the article states that "it is probably kids playing a prank"

I disagree for i reckon the intent is there to hurt /maim /kill others ..... no prank

How can you possibly know this?
Even a court of law, after reviewing all the facts, defer to a child psychologist to find out if there was malicious intent or just plain child stupidity.

We all commited 'naughty needs' as kids but excusing this as a 'prank' is unacceptable. All need to learne that actions have consequences and that those that consequences can be dire.
Let me ask this question - How would you feel and what would your opion be if it were your daughter on that scooter and she was dead?
It's a friggin' motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The windnoise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you scared every now and then. Suck it up. -- Scary Gary Mc

Extreme Velcro

« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2008, 08:22:35 am »
Of course it would be dreadful and absolutely horrible if this child had been badly hurt; but the point everyone is making is that as kids we are sometimes unbelieveably stupid and often, even if well brought up, do not even consider consequences.

As a teen, I NEVER EVER believed anything could happen to ME or could arise from what I did - often the only consequences we can think of at that age is often only "oh boy, are my parents going to be p*ssed off with me" but as we well know, very often that's half the attraction ESPECIALLY if you are taking what you think is a "walk on the wild side" from your boring respectable really good family.

Toucan is very right - its a giggle until its a stuffup.  And LS is right in that if the kid was a child who was known to take apart animals and has now upgraded to taking apart humans, then you have a problem.  But if its decent kids and just plain stupidity as it often is, then yeah, a psychological assessment and the guilt and the family shame is going to be hard to live with.

Sorry about the lang storie - I am a believer in not lumping all stupidity under the banner of "murderous intent".  Each case is an individual one.

At the same time though, I must say that this of course could still have been done to get a person off the bike and rob them and that is of course, malicious, whether done by youths or adults.

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2008, 08:43:17 am »
kids strung a rope to play pranks on others on bicycles - one kid fell on his head in the road, got light brain damage - had to go to a special school.  no police or court - just shit caused by kids not thinking....

Offline LanceSA

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy a bike.
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2008, 06:40:39 pm »
Again I ask the question - How would your opion change if it was your kid with the 'light brain damage' and the ruined fututre? I think I might be a bit bitter at the 'naughty little harmless pranksters'.
It's a friggin' motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The windnoise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you scared every now and then. Suck it up. -- Scary Gary Mc

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2008, 03:54:34 pm »
I would guess in the eyes of the law they will have to determine if the kids can be held responsible for their deeds ito rational though, outcome awareness etc.  The law is clear on it from a sexual, credit and contract point of view - even for when to ride a bike - but these things are all grey....?

H

Extreme Velcro

« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2008, 03:59:49 pm »
Again I ask the question - How would your opion change if it was your kid with the 'light brain damage' and the ruined fututre? I think I might be a bit bitter at the 'naughty little harmless pranksters'.

LanceSA, there is not one person on this thread who said that this was harmless in any way and WE all acknowledge the seriousness of the action and I don't think there is one of us who doesn't feel that action certainly must be taken.

What we are trying to just point that children are stupid (yeah, you all know what I mean) and as a rule, do not think through the consequences of their actions and that this was a possibility in this case.

Of course I would freak if it were my child that were harmed and if you knew me, ESPECIALLY if my child were the one doing the harming (I don't think I would ever forgive myself), but at the same time, it is a grey area and it is one where each case must be judged individually. 

Again I wish to mention though - if this was done by adults with malicious intent, completely different story......