Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: How to Stand Up Properly  (Read 27466 times)

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
    • View Profile
Re: How to Stand Up Properly
« Reply #240 on: April 11, 2016, 01:35:18 pm »
Centre of gravity is to be found at a BMW meeting, with all those serious Motorrad okes dressed alike.

Centre of mass is to be found at a Harley OG meeting, where all the heavy metal hang out.

Do not over-think things.
Jy raak nou eentonig en afgesaag.

Seker net vir jou, ou BMW knol.

Offline Esplin

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Mica 490-XT 500- Honda 750- GS 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: August 01, 2017, 08:06:28 pm »
STANDING UP.
Depending on where you are riding. If off road it might be necessary to stand in certain conditions. In rough sections it is easier to transfer your angle or weight to what is coming up.

When standing in these condition you have more control over your handle bar, throttle, brakes and where you wont your weight depending on up hills or down hills. Most down hills I sit on the back wheel.

Online Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: August 01, 2017, 08:19:08 pm »
If you arrive safely where you were going, you did it right.
I ride to fast if I stand! :peepwall:
Seat is made to sit on! :imaposer:
I ride as I feel comfortable and will not critisize someone else for standing or sitting if they feel like it.
So Tommy can sit flat on his bum at the bash again :imaposer: :thumleft: :pot:
Honda hawk400(sold)Yamaha rd400(passed on)Xr200r(sold)Tw200(sold)Sr500(sold to old boet)
Tw200(traded)650 dacar(present)

Offline Bull Grackle

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: November 11, 2017, 11:22:44 am »
Sorry to jump in if what I'm about to write is redundant. That said I stand a lot on rough gravel roads because I don't want the pee-squat hammered out of me. I've only been standing on my GS1200 for a couple of years but it makes all the difference in places like Ou Berg Pass which, although a Divisional road, is often eroded with long stretches of stutter bumps. Driffies are a lot less hectic when I'm standing, especially those associated with a steep approach and exit not to mention a bit of loose gravel, sand or big round rocks at the bottom.  Standing also saves my hands even though I installed soft grips. Over a long day, say 400 km, standing a lot reduces my fatigue level and makes me a safer rider toward late afternoon. If standing doesn't suit you, get a bike with a 21 inch front wheel. The 650 Dakar I recently started riding smooths out choppy road surfaces and cuts my standing time by 50% or more. Of course that percentage may go back up when I start to tackle more challenging terrain on the lighter bike. For me it's a pretty clear choice; stand a lot on a bike with a 19 inch or smaller front wheel, sit a lot on a bike with a 21 inch. 

Offline Dux

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 12, 2017, 05:55:30 pm »
Sorry to jump in if what I'm about to write is redundant. That said I stand a lot on rough gravel roads because I don't want the pee-squat hammered out of me. I've only been standing on my GS1200 for a couple of years but it makes all the difference in places like Ou Berg Pass which, although a Divisional road, is often eroded with long stretches of stutter bumps. Driffies are a lot less hectic when I'm standing, especially those associated with a steep approach and exit not to mention a bit of loose gravel, sand or big round rocks at the bottom.  Standing also saves my hands even though I installed soft grips. Over a long day, say 400 km, standing a lot reduces my fatigue level and makes me a safer rider toward late afternoon. If standing doesn't suit you, get a bike with a 21 inch front wheel. The 650 Dakar I recently started riding smooths out choppy road surfaces and cuts my standing time by 50% or more. Of course that percentage may go back up when I start to tackle more challenging terrain on the lighter bike. For me it's a pretty clear choice; stand a lot on a bike with a 19 inch or smaller front wheel, sit a lot on a bike with a 21 inch.

Now can you imagine how much better you would feel on a bike with decent suspension
Motoworx
Unit 6 Viben square
Viben Road
Brackenfell
motoworx1@gmail.com

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Bachelor Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: November 12, 2017, 08:53:04 pm »
I used to stand a lot on my Yamaha DT400B with it's 4inches of suspension travel.

Offline IanTheTooth

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • The past is a foreign country
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: November 12, 2017, 09:15:17 pm »
you were a bit younger then too!
Rule #12// The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
While the minimum number of bikes one should own is three, the correct number is n+1, where n is the number of bikes currently owned. This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of bikes owned that would result in separation from your partner.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Bachelor Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 13, 2017, 08:51:52 pm »
you were a bit younger then too!

It was only about 35 years ago. :peepwall: