Newbie bike ideas and comments

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
Howzit gents,
as mentioned in the introduction section, I recently moved to Nelspruit and I'm itching to do some adventure riding around here!

I'm a relative noob when it comes to off-road riding, had a DT125 in school that supplied some fun, but that was MANY years ago, so I do not regard that as useful experience.
Spent about a year in the big city on a 250cc scooter (was fun, but also not applicable experience)

So as a riding novice, what bikes can you recommend to for some dual purpose adventures? I'm not sure how soon I'll be going on long distance multi day trips, but that is definitely something I'd like to attempt in the future. For now I think there are more than enough lekka riding opportunities within 100-150km radius in and around Nelspruit, so that will probably where I spend most of my time riding initially. Also for a first bike, I'm not going to spend too much money on it, so cost is a bit of a factor for me. Obviously I'd love a brand spanking new 800GS or Tiger or Ktm etc, but the prices mean I will have to swallow my pride and go for a more modest choice.

Some bikes I've looked at:
KLR650 (looks like decent all rounder),
KLE500 (I like the twin engine and the 6 gears),
and there's a nice KTM640Adv at the Yamaha dealer her in Nsp (love the look of this bike!)

I'd like to be able ride to where I'll be going off the beaten track, so I'd like tar riding quality to not be too uncomfortable.
Also I'm 1.86 / 120Kgs (should be 105..I'll get back there  :p) so how do these bikes cope with larger riders?

Any obvious candidates I've missed? Please comment and let me know with suggestions and or ideas.
Or if there are factors I' forgot to take into consideration with my candidates.

Thank you very much!