Orphanage Ride, Western Cape WDs Rock!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uiltjie

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Sometimes, things are talked about, dreamt about, wishing they would happen.  And then sometimes things just happen!

I have always believed in the power of liked minded people, doing things together.  In this same manner have I believed in the spirit of the Wilddogs, but to my amazement, the members of Wilddogs have opened their hearts, their wallets, and even did much more than I would ever have imagined.

When I started this drive for Die Herberg Kinderhuis in Robertson, I got responses from the a few guys, regularly checking â??new repliesâ?, with not the response I expected.  I thought to myself, this is only going to be small one, but everything helps.  Boy, was I amazed what happened the last weekâ?¦.pms, e-mail, smsâ??s came in, in bucketsful.  Members just paid over money even if they were not planning to attend the ride!

I sent out an e-mail to Caledon Round Table, an organisation I was a member of for many years.  They came to the party, two members donating R800 and another two donating 4 sheep!

Saturday, 10 Mayâ?¦..its p*ssing with rain in CT.  Not a single member who said that they were riding with, chickened out, not even the pillions that were to attend.  They all left CT in a serious Cape winter downpour! I was the only one from the Overberg, and took on the Cape galeforce wind from the side.  In Villiersdorp, it seriously looked like I was to hit rain, and as any good WD would do, stopped for a â??heater!â?

DSC_0083.jpg

DSC_0084.jpg

Oom Foe-rie had booked breakfast for us all at De Kraal, a little Farm Stall outside Rawsonville.

Tim, Surf and their better halfs Loo and Karien.
DSC_0085.jpg

JP and Oom Foe-rie
DSC_0087.jpg

BigEd cannot wait to hand over the collection he made at his office
DSC_0088.jpg

Staffie, Camelman's G/F, Camelman, XXX
DSC_0089.jpg

Operator and his Norma
DSC_0090.jpg

Nicki, Eisbein, Rogue, Operator and Norma
DSC_0091.jpg

Scenes from the bar
DSC_0092.jpg

Whatâ??s wrong with having a Captain Morgan (Kabumba Floors) with breakfast?
DSC_0093.jpg

Packing up and leaving for Robertson
DSC_0094.jpg

DSC_0095.jpg

DSC_0096.jpg

DSC_0097.jpg

DSC_0098.jpg

DSC_0099.jpg

We met up with Ektoknbike along the way, with him then leading the way through the hills of this beautiful area.  He was going to fast for any pics to be taken.  Even Karien (Timâ??s SWAMBO), who said she will not be travelling on dirt with her own bike, did the gravel road to Robertson.  Well done Karien!

Arriving ON TIME at the Herberg, the PR lady, Petru, made us pose for a group photo.

DSC_0101.jpg

Petru then proceeded with a guided tour of the facility.

Some background:

Die Herberg Childrenâ??s Home was started during the flu epidemic of 1918. these orphans were cared for in an ordinary home. This home was replaced by The Herberg Childrenâ??s Home and was housed in the Old Herberg, currently a block of flats. The new buildings were first occupied during 1980. We currently have 122 boys and girls who are accommodated in 7 housing units. Fourteen children between the ages of 6 to 18 are cared for in the units for children that are of school going age. The pre-school section accommodates the babies and little ones from birth until they are about six years old.

Also see www.herberg.co.za

This is the part where Uil got a huge lump in his throatâ?¦â?¦..  (Ek het amper 'n traan gepik!) :'(

DSC_0102.jpg

Who in their right minds would abandon a face like this: :'( :'( :'(

DSC_0103.jpg

DSC_0104.jpg

The ladies, Loo and Karien, immediately took to the kidsâ?¦..

DSC_0105.jpg

DSC_0106.jpg

Camelman could not resist the toy motorbike��

DSC_0107.jpg

Eisbein, Giant XXX, Biged (Ons is groot in die Kaap!)

DSC_0108.jpg

Musashi

DSC_0109.jpg

Oom Foe-rie, Operator, BigEd

DSC_0110.jpg

Hoekom moet ek alles doen?  Nobody wanted to do the speech thing, so I had to.  It was a privilege beyond imagination to see Petruâ??s face when I handed over the money.  It was felt by the WDs that the money be utilised as pocket money for the kids.

DSC_0111.jpg

DSC_0113.jpg

After we said our good byes and the rest of the meat was carried into the Herberg (thanks guys) we made our way to the Dros, where good times was had!  Thanks also to my wife Betsie for bringing the sheep through by cage, accompanied by Lida, Papsakâ??s wife.

Eisbein
DSC_0116.jpg

Ektoknbikeâ??s wife, Sylvia
DSC_0117.jpg

We sat under beautiful autumn leaves
DSC_0120.jpg

DSC_0125.jpg

DSC_0126-1.jpg

DSC_0127-1.jpg

DSC_0128-1.jpg

DSC_0129-1.jpg

DSC_0130-1.jpg

Surf doing his Father Xmas impression!

DSC_0131-1.jpg

Ektoknbike started feeling really bad, with terrible abdominal pains.  He quickly went to the doctorâ?¦â?¦KIDNEY STONES!  Returning from the doctor, he had an unfair intravenious advantage on all of us!  Floating on Pethadine, he taken back home in the back of his wifeâ??s Prado!

I would hereby like to thank every single WD and member of the public for donating to this great cause!  Thank you also to Clockwork Orange for initiating this drive.  Thanks to SGB for donating a trailer, which we will make a plan to get down here.  Oom Foe-rie is working on it already.

If we take the value of goods that was donated at a humble R7200, thatâ??s including a computer, sporting goods, 4 sheep, clothes, a trailer etc, and much more, we didnâ??t do too badly.

And here is the greatestestestest part.  We handed over a CASH donation of R9000 to them!

That makes our total donation R16200!

Well done WDs!