Resurrecting an RS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BruceS

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R100GS / Kalahari
So, in May, there I was tootling down the M3 when there was a loud clattering. I thought one of my newly replaced front brake disks had come loose at 130 kph, so I didn't touch the brakes, using the engine to slow down, wondering when I might get thrown over the bars. Unfortunately the disks were fine, and I had dropped an exhaust valve and shattered a piston into about 100,000 pieces all over the inside of the crankcase.

I'm not yet sure if it's worth fixing, but the first thing I would need is a new engine casing I think. A piece of piston has punched a hole into the top right of the engine casing into that space for the crankcase breather etc. It's a cavity in the top of the casing next to the starter motor. It's an '81//'82 RS.

Anybody got a casing for sale? Motorworks sell them for 150GBP, so I'd be looking to beat that price.

Alternatively, aluminium can be welded, but it's a very awkward spot to get to, so I'm not sure it's possible. Any ideas?