Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Amageza nutrition  (Read 2047 times)

Offline bonova

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Get busy living or get busy dying
Amageza nutrition
« on: August 10, 2015, 05:23:53 pm »
I know its been covered in bits and pieces before... But here is my problem.
Im quite a skinny guy.. And one of my biggest issues with long rides is the "wall" . I hit it on day one of man and machine bout 70km in and it takes me ages to recover. Obviously i was riding really hard and its more taxing than amageza...but day 3 last year amageza i also experienced it near the end of the day.
Im wondering what people use for extreme events?
I use a usn carboload drink in the am and futurelife cereal. Futurelife energy bars in the day. And GU electrolytes in my camelback. Last year i used usn enduro pro in my camel back which seemed to work quite well. Ive also tried the usn ener-g stuff in my water and that seemed good. My main question is about the food you eat and carry. What works best for sustained energy? I just dont seem to be able to take in enough to sustain me and i guess i dont have a spare tyre around my waist to utilize...
BMW F650 DAKAR ; BMW 650 X-Challenge ; YAMAHA 660 TENERE ; BMW 800 GS KTM 200EXC. Now - KTM 950 Adventure S, KTM 250 XC-W and BMW 450 Rally

if u are interested in something no matter what it is, go at it full speed ahead, luke warm is no good, hot is no good either, white hot and passionate is the only thing to be...

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
Re: Amageza nutrition
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 08:43:23 pm »
I'm maybe not the best to comment, as I actually carry reserves  :deal:, but as I'm at least double your size, I eat 3 times what most Amageza jockeys do.  My tip is not so much the food, because you will have to train a bit more over the next 3 weeks to manage the weight of the food I carry on a stage (on marathons I loose at least a kilogram).  What I do, is I actually mark the tulip where I will stop to eat.  Its not that I'm likely to forget, because I wont, but I split the stage so that I stop more or least midway.  But it might remind you to factor nutrition into it.  And an additional benefit is that it freaks Alex out when he finds out that you treat his race like a long picnic  ;D

Offline trevorwb

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Enduro
  • Warning Labels are only recommendations
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 09:09:51 pm »
Peter I battle a bit with the long events and if I hit the wall I battle to recover.I try to eat /snack every 1.75 hrs .I have been banting for the last year and a half,but on race days I eat healthy carbs.
Fruit cake.
Apple
Mashed sweet potato,honey and raisin and cranberries .Put it in small plastic bags and bite a hole in it and squeeze.
Protein-boiled eggs ,piece of meat.

Offline tehdutchie

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Beta (all models)
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 12:55:09 am »
Try NOT to enjoy the riding, so you'll stop more often for a breather and then have a snack and proper hydration, works for me  :imaposer:

On slower terrain I split the day into 50k sections, I guess the amageza being this long, it will be faster terrain so Ill probably have a few 5minute ciggie breaks to rehydrate and eat every 100k.

Imho it doesnt matter what you drink as long as the food is 'solid' and not 2 sweat, I prefer 'more neutral and some salty' snacks along the way then most bars seem to offer.

Offline katana

• I may be cheap, but I am not a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Born again 1/7/2020
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 06:30:23 am »
My Sunday quarry recipe that works, is a bowl of proper oats, not this rolled crap, some sugar, butter and biltong - fine or thinly sliced - on top.

Oily and eggs do not work for me.

Edit:  I know the quarry does not equate to the Amageza, but this is some good energy food that is long lasting  ;)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 06:34:14 am by katana »
If you want to haul ass, you gotta mix gas.

Offline Buff

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 09:25:55 am »
I'd guess your first mistake is the FutureLife breakfast which has a high sugar content so it'll pick you up and put you down again 2 hours later. Based on some experience with endurance events, I'd suggest you focus on Low & Medium GI foods that will sustain your energy levels for much longer. Here's a link that will assist  :thumleft:

http://www.the-gi-diet.org/lowgifoods/
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline andrew5336

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 10:29:43 am »
I use and am an agent for Enduren.

Amazing stuff. I do a lot of trail running, canoeing and riding. Constant energy and no additives, sugar etc.

Check out the info on the www.

I use the energy drink, the recovery shake and the bars. They also make a great cramp stop product - if it helps me it'll fix anyone's cramps haha.

I can ship to you.

Offline bonova

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Get busy living or get busy dying
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 04:35:17 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys.
Buff: I looked and was under the impression that Futurelife WAS low GI - it states it on the box  :o
Andrew - I've sent you a PM ;)
BMW F650 DAKAR ; BMW 650 X-Challenge ; YAMAHA 660 TENERE ; BMW 800 GS KTM 200EXC. Now - KTM 950 Adventure S, KTM 250 XC-W and BMW 450 Rally

if u are interested in something no matter what it is, go at it full speed ahead, luke warm is no good, hot is no good either, white hot and passionate is the only thing to be...

Offline Ross Riddle

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 01:10:54 pm »
Hi,
Also PM you Andrew. Interested in the product and would like some advice!
EVO 50X, Honda Racing replica Pocket bike, 2013 KTM 300 XC-W, 2016 Husky 450 FE Rally Conversion

Offline RedRum

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2015, 04:28:12 pm »
I'm a fan of Jungle Energy bars; been using them for years. Not fancy, not expensive, small, tasty and gives me egnergy when I need it.

good pick me up with the sugars and sustained energy with the oats; works for me.
and now they have a new flavour; peanut butter; I like it a lot; a bit more salty than the other ones which I like; spoon full of peanut butter taste; yum!

« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 04:29:29 pm by RedRum »

Offline Wild Woody

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Life is a Journey, Enjoy the Ride........
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2015, 05:27:18 pm »
32 GI is probably the best on the market right now. Expensive but it works
"No Politics, No Religion..... Be Humble and treat everyone with Dignity and Respect"

Honda Xl 250; BMW650GS Dakar; BMW F800GSA

Offline Scrat

• Race Dog
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2015, 06:50:39 pm »
32GI in one bladder on my back (call it my Go-Go Juice  :pot:)

then for each day....  2-3 energy bars and about 500-700g of mixed dried fruits/salted Nuts/ and sliced Biltong in a bag, drink a Reiterate  in the morning after breakfast, another during the day and another when you get to end of the day..
Make sure you eat a decent breakfast at 4am  :thumleft:

That works wonders for me  :thumleft: :thumleft:
Call us Crazy!! But what an ADVENTURE!!

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2015, 07:17:24 pm »
I'm a fan of Jungle Energy bars; been using them for years. Not fancy, not expensive, small, tasty and gives me egnergy when I need it.

good pick me up with the sugars and sustained energy with the oats; works for me.
and now they have a new flavour; peanut butter; I like it a lot; a bit more salty than the other ones which I like; spoon full of peanut butter taste; yum!

These energy bars melt and make a mess.  But they work.

Offline Gee S

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2015, 04:12:15 pm »

then for each day....  2-3 energy bars and about 500-700g of mixed dried fruits/salted Nuts/ and sliced Biltong in a bag, drink a Reiterate  in the morning after breakfast, another during the day and another when you get to end of the day..

Hi Scrat, Do you use the "RACE"or the "ENDURE"?
All that wander are not lost

Offline Scrat

• Race Dog
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2015, 08:41:34 am »

Hi Scrat, Do you use the "RACE"or the "ENDURE"?

Hey there, Endure for sure!!  >:D

Call us Crazy!! But what an ADVENTURE!!

Offline Gee S

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2015, 11:35:24 am »

[/quote]

Hey there, Endure for sure!!  >:D

[/quote]

Thanks, Thats what I got.
Have you ever tried the recovery drink with milk? I did and it tastes much better. I suppose it will still do the same or maybe even a better job than with water?.

I wonder if I can mix my Magnesit and 32GI in the same bladder?

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2015, 05:00:28 pm »

What's the worst that can happen?  Seriously, you need to test it, no surprises, you could end up without drinkable water on day 1.

Offline SteveD

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2015, 07:15:14 pm »
What's the worst that can happen?

You get to eat all of your Immodium tablets  :pottytrain5:

Offline Gee S

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2015, 10:08:05 pm »

What's the worst that can happen?  Seriously, you need to test it, no surprises, you could end up without drinkable water on day 1.
Tested it and tastes Ok even 12hrs after mixing and no side effects yet.