How to find oil in the desert.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lito

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 SE
This report will be the worlds shortest report, for the worlds longest thread, on the worlds closest proposed ride, by the worlds most prolific posters.

::)

To gain an insight on the coodle above, check this..... https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=17365.0

131 replies, 562 views... ridiculous.

So we meet up and low and behold its raining.

Gas up, talk route (not much to say really) and plan lightly.  I decide to take the route through the long way round to the initial exit point, because of the ginormous amounts of testosteron flying around. Long sections of continous and undulating irregular whoops makes for a good place to tire some arms and lungs out initially, and get rid of that buzz in the air.

Look at the poses - todays gonna be interesting

Paul, Amir, Kevin, Sean, Me

(KTM Bigger, EMaxx, KTM Giraffe (go figure), MudPrawn, Lito

293817994_Mt5dC-M.jpg

I start off, try and keep a good clip, but because theres no official trail, my front wheel finds itself on a new trail. Its too fast to stop and turn around, and hell - its too early too. What to do? Gas it and carry on.  The trail includes jumping over a lot of PortJackson tree stumps, and loads of the Port Jackson branches. As anyone who has ever ridden in the rain knows, tree branches and leaves lying flat down can be verrrrry slippery in the rain.

After waiting at the first point of collection (cant be more than 500m up the road), the route claims its first victim.

293818258_dXTGL-M.jpg

Emaxx goes down on some wet stuff, and his beautiful Titanium Wings exaust can now look like a squashed up Red Bull can. Its very unfortunate - those cans are works of art. And sound great! Whats odd is that in a few hours, we would all be given free Red Bulls at Zone 7 by the Red Bull girls... the only one to decline was Emaxx.  :-X

I carry on, and after about another 1-2.5 kays of these whoops - at speed - stop at the private property signs. Mudprawn on his 200 odd Kawasaki plastic bike is hot on my rear wheel and just close to this point, its time to wave him on. Absolutely getting exhausted - arm pump has set in something ferocious.

While waiting for the rest of the crew to pitch, a discovery is made: my handlebars are loose. Last night, new risers went in and with the release of pressure from the old ones, the bolts must have come loose. Not too great riding sand whoops at speed with loose handlebars  ::)

KTM Bigger comes up, and assists

293818068_6Avgh-M.jpg

The sand is wet on top, and dry underneath unless you really trench it. Then theres moisture below. Makes it a lot easier to ride.

We send Mudprawn on his plastic to go and fetch the Emaxx who has taken some time to get there. We fear another crash, and finally we hear two bikes coming.

293818123_PGZL8-M.jpg

293818157_CFAor-M.jpg

293818157_CFAor-M.jpg

293818206_tyjXn-M.jpg

Fears of overheating due to reduced exhaust size are discussed and fears are allayed. After all, there are a few who have blocked off the 2-1 right at the start of the 2nd can with a simple plug and the bike runs just fine. Time to up the speed!

We careen off into the tunnel of love trees, which are dominated by continous sand whoops - with the space probably being about two - three handlebar widths odd give or take. Particularly in some places. This is where Topbox decided to dismount very ungracefully and seperate his shoulder. Heal up Topbox - this place has your name on it....

Everyone is fine except me who is trying to clean his helmet from the beach laid into it by Giraffes back wheel.  :mad:  I vow to replace his purposeful kindness...

We hook up, and lead the next section into more continous whoops. Here the tunnel of love becomes far narrower and with lots of bodies trying to repair serious serious arm pump, guys start their farming activity. The Port Jacksons grow tight and we start to collect leaves and brances in various plastic bits on the bike.

At the end, we wait for the team to regroup, and shoot the shite.

Everyone comes together eventually and lots of Cabernet Sauvignon/ Shardonnay/ and some rare Botritis Whinitis is found in fairly laughable condition.

293818341_KRopd-M.jpg

Routes are discussed further on, please are made to skip more whoops and jokes are told. These two plastics eyeball us from a distance, and we eyeball them. Turns out we were both checking each other to see if the other was Da Fuzz. Obviously wasnt.

293818411_WUFMQ-M.jpg

Remount the bikes and Giraffe says to Bigger - hey! theres oil pumping out your bike.

Fook. Quick look to the left, and I see its like someone has pulled the plug out of his sump. His brand new 690 Ktm. Ouch. What happens is that Pauls oil site glass has imploded somehow and the oil is pumping out the reservoir.

293818519_JhTxh-M.jpg

293818550_SczPK-M.jpg

293818652_heg5u-M.jpg

He didnt fall, he didnt knock anything, it was a pure failure of a part. Unbelievable. The realisation of an ended ride (where everyone was super amped) just hit and Bigger took it like a champ.

293818471_8Nvab-M.jpg

I towed him on out of their using the footpeg to footpeg technique which proved just the ticket. No mishaps. My bike then started to misfire and turns out that I have water in the petrol or a loose sparkplug.  :-\

293818741_FHqaB-M.jpg

We made it Zone 7 of course though and preceded to get bought rounds of drinks from those who had done "well" in various stages of the day.

First round Emaxx for coming late, and second Mudprawn who tried to kick start his bike for 15minutes and after I suggested to him to try and open his fuel tap he realised he had closed it. Way to go Mudprawn - thanks for the drinks!  ::) ;D

We watch some quad championship, but these cuties stole my heart.

293818830_R2Ner-M.jpg

CHECK THIS AIR - these girls are SIX YEARS OLD

293818923_X4ndk-L.jpg

293818997_NB64y-M.jpg

293819076_9MhEy-M.jpg

Mudprawn and Giraffe ride back to Builders Warehouse to go and get his bakkie and return to pick up Bigger. In the meantime, Bigger calls KTM Western Cape who send out Kevin the head mechanic to come pick up his bike. Great service there on a weekend.

Mudprawn buys us a straf round and I call the fashion police

293819169_ADkoL-M.jpg

We're all out of the riding mood me thinks (from the hype to the lows), and we decide to can it back home via another sand whooped out route. We turn up the heat and Giraffe tells us that hes riding as fast as he can through the whoops within the confines of his supension on the 640. Every whoop sees his maxed out settings on his rear spring bottoming out, so its time for the Super Enduro to come past him and show him some nice fat section 150 rear tyre.  >:D

At the end, I take a piccie to record it and get this reaction

293819239_g9xHc-M.jpg

He comes to my spot to set up my suspension (Giraffe is the expert), and offer him a ride on the SE. He doesnt think for more than 0.00000000000001 seconds.

293819300_tfjxf-M.jpg

293819373_53pkx-M.jpg

Ta da. The end. No more than 13-15 kays of total riding, and a big dissapointment for all concerned I think and maybe one day we can do it again. This time, just a little bit faster, a little bit harder, and a lot longer.

West Beach to Atlantis all by sand remains....

unconquered.