Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: BMW GS QUESTION.....  (Read 1786 times)

Franswest

BMW GS QUESTION.....
« on: May 12, 2008, 10:10:04 am »
Why do i see so many GS's on the roads?

Offline N[]vA

• Adventure Geek Extreame!
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Adventure Geek Extreme!
    • Adventure Geek
Re: BMW GS QUESTION.....
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 10:11:05 am »
cause they are nice :D
So much of win it hurts! ^.^

http://www.adventuregeek.co.za/

GS-holic

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 10:11:52 am »
If you have to ask - you will not understand ;) ;D

Online fixit

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 10:13:23 am »
Status >:D
Happiness is not getting what you want, but appreciating  what you already have.

Online IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • What me worry?
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 10:14:35 am »
Some do make it back home though
Born to lose, live to win!!

Online fixit

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 10:18:47 am »
Happiness is not getting what you want, but appreciating  what you already have.

Online Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 10:22:41 am »
They sell the most.

For people who don't know anything about biking but want to get into it mostly knows only of BMW GS and Dakars.

It's only after they're getting into in that they know what a) their needs really are and b) that there are other brands out there that will cater for them...

02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline Aicorner

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 10:35:43 am »
I agree with Eisbein : I started riding about 4 years ago and bought a Dakar then a GSA because I thought BMW were the only dual brand.

I'm now toying with the idea of replacing the GSA (I am concerned about high repair costs once it goes out of warranty) but in truth struggle to find another bike that can do so many things so well - the GSA can commute (very well, I use her in traffic every day), tour, carry a pillion, get quite rough, handle well on tar etc.

I know there have been a million "which bike is better" threads and I know the ultimate answer is subjective & up to the individual but (despite the many faults of the GS, which I acknowledge) I can't find a better all rounder.  So while they are the best known, they may also be the best.
'79 Ducati Darmah
'81 Guzzi Le Mans
'09 BMW R1200GSA
'11 KTM 990 SMT
5 bicycles

Offline Metaljockey

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
  • Dodgy S.O.B.
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 10:42:36 am »
Because it's the

BEST BIKE IN THE WORLD

Offline Frog

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 10:57:08 am »
Here is a quote from Motorcylce USA magazine after testing the 2008 BMW 1200GS Adventure. This might answer your question.

"It's been called the best adventure bike, best open-class streetbike, bike of the year and even best bike in the world. You may buy into those claims depending on individual interpretation, but pretend for a moment that such a bike does exist to fill all those categories, and that you have to name it. What other options do you really have?"
Triumph Thuxton R
Triumph Bonneville T120
KTM 990R
KTM 990 Adventure (sold), BMW 650 Xchallenge (sold)
BMW 1200GSA (sold)

Offline Hentie @ Riders

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 11:05:42 am »
Why?     BECOUSE WE CAN!!!!!!!!!! >:D ;D

Offline Coala

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 11:13:19 am »
The response cannot be anything but a bit muddy.  The GS is to many people many different things.  I think what sets it aprt from the rest is its versatility, being a bike for most occasions.  It might not be the best in every one of them, but the fact is that it does all of it.  It corners well, has sufficient power to put a fairly broad smile on your face, offers a comfortable tourer, not many pillions will complain about its comfort, it can carry weight, great commuter, excellent reliability, can go offroad etc etc etc.  So what am I actually saying, it might not be the best in one single category ?? hence the struggle to place it ?? but it is rather good in most of them.  That is what sets it apart from the KTMs etc.    So the answer is multi-dimensional.   

Offline Coala

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 11:24:29 am »
Need i say more

Online IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Grey hound
  • What me worry?
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2008, 11:35:38 am »
my question is

what happened to all the 1100/1150's that were out there...only see the 12 these days?

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2008, 11:38:06 am »
Mainly because BMW have the best advertising campaigns.....
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Online Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2008, 11:39:27 am »
my question is

what happened to all the 1100/1150's that were out there...only see the 12 these days?

*ahem*

02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Online IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Grey hound
  • What me worry?
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2008, 11:45:56 am »
my question is

*ahem*

Sorry  ;D

For the most part i do not see the 1150's anymore...where did they all go or are the gs's not the indestructuble beasts BM would have you believe they are....

Online Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2008, 11:51:41 am »
my question is

*ahem*

Sorry  ;D

For the most part i do not see the 1150's anymore...where did they all go or are the gs's not the indestructuble beasts BM would have you believe they are....

;D ;D
This is a gross generization, so please forgive me, but in general the Gauties are more 'new vehicle aware'.

I am also afraid that if you look at peak traffic bikes, it might also just be like 4x4's - LOTS of them that you see going to the office and back NEVER see the outdoors...

My 1100 has 140 000km on it and as far as I'm aware it needed one clutch (two if you want to nitpick, but the 2nd one was needed because they didn't replace the crankseal properly when they replaced the clutch the 1st time), two needlebearings in the shaft and two small bearings in the gearbox started sounding like they might need attention at some point, so they replaced it while doing the clutch.

Under heavy use it now burns about 500ml of oil in about 3000 k's, but other than that it is just about perfect and still going very strong...

Offline Da Tazzman

• Pack Dog
  • An BMW Adventure is only scared of Schalk Burger!
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2008, 12:06:28 pm »
Sooo what all the above translates to is.......eet iz das best bike in ze universe ja!!! :hello2:
If you don't have an Adventure - ya don't have a life!

masehare

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2008, 12:14:16 pm »
It compensates for my small penis.   :-[